Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) Joining RMT. All ROVers need to read this

Joining RMT. All ROVers need to read this

Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) Joining RMT. All ROVers need to read this

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    westy
    Participant

For all of you who are intent to sit on the fence and not bother joining the RMT/OILC have a read of the following

http://ukdivingbrotherhood.wordpress.com/

it is written by Derek Moore who is the RMT rep for SS7 and is involved in the pay negotiations for the next 3 year deal. He knows what he is talking about as he was involved in the last one 3 years ago when they got the big one.

If we do not get recognition soon look at how far behind we will fall from the divers and their support crew. It makes very interesting reading.

Westy

piedpiper
    Participant

if this is what the divers etc are going for, then we need to be on the bandwagon aswell. I especially like :-

21. Over-cycle payments where the contractor fails to demobilise personnel within a specified time scale.

That will do for me !

Arfur
    Participant

Have a look at the Link given by Westy, scroll down to "Meeting on 25th September" and look at Item 23: "Inclusion of CSWIP 3.4U Inspection Engineers into the ODIA agreement".

ROV personnel could find themselves being left behind by everybody in the pursuit of better pay and conditions unless we organise ourselves and do something.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Which is why we have been pushing to get people to get onboard. In Aberdeen the OILC branch (S100) of the RMT is keen to get moving on this so we should at least support the initiative rather than sit on the fence and do bugger all!

It’s not about strikes and causing unrest, it’s about protecting current and future pay/conditions and obtaining an agreement similar to the divers. There is no reason on earth why the diving industry should have an agreement whereby their interests are protected and ROV industry not.

If the operators will sign and adhere to a diver agreement then they will do so for an ROV agreement.

There are links in the Uni0n section of this Forum to RMT if you wish to join.

As Neil Rothnie (OILC branch of the RMT) keeps saying… It up to ROV to help themselves and tell the uni0n what they want to develop.
    Nobody is going to do it for the ROV industry other than the guys n gals involved in it.. that includes the 3.4u inspection people working with ROV inspection projects.

Work has already started on an ROV agreement. The document resides in the Uni0n member’s only area of the forum. All RMT members have access to it once they have requested access through the RMT/OILC branch staff who will verify membership details to website admin. On verification, members will be added to the RMT board user group. If you don’t have access you will not even see the board let alone read anything being discussed.

Yes, things are happening on the ROV agreement side of things but if you are not an RMT member you may be unaware of what is going on, nor will you be able to have a say in what you wish to see implemented. Please don’t sit on the fence, wait for an agreement to see the light of day and then complain about it afterwards. This is your chance to join in and help produce something that the ROV industry sorely needs.

Me? What I want to see is somthing other coming through my mailbox from the RMT other than ‘Divers agreemnet this’ and ‘divers agreemnet that’. I would like to see ‘ROV industry agreement this and that’ at some point.

best regards
    James Mc
    RMT member.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

…..and whilst you are wondering what to read next, check out this link and see what the RMT offers it’s members.
    The text is aimed at divers but it gets the point across.

http://ukdivingbrotherhood.wordpress.com/category/join-the-rmt/

Steve
    Participant

Ok ok, this may seem dense as f"£k but can somebody answer the following…

1: Is the RMT & OILC the same outfit? i.e if you join one, are you covered by both?

2:Can somebody please send a link to an "online joining" form as i was on the RMT website and it actually put me off as i couldnt find much about Marine/ROV business, or more so how to join etc.

Ta

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Not much info on the RMT website about ROV?
    You are right about not much information about ROV’s on the RMT website, but don’t let that put you off. The RMT is a huge uni0n with many branches covering rail, trucking and shipping. We are small fry compared to the whole uni0n membership, but the RMT now has a branch dedicated to offshore workers and they actually know what an ROV is. It is these people that have posted here and they are the ones driving the ROV agreement along with existing ROV uni0n members.

RMT – OILC?

I can understand where the confusion may arise. The OILC was an independent uni0n fighting for offshore (energy) workers rights and conditions. Not too long back the OILC merged with the RMT and formed a branch in Aberdeen dedicated solely to Offshore energy workers conditions and issues.
    Branch S100 will sometimes be referred to as ‘The OILC branch of the RMT’.

So it’s the RMT you need to join.
    On joining the branch you should request to be registered under is S100, Aberdeen.
    By requesting that you be registered under this branch it will facilitate communications between the branch and ROV uni0n members. Imagine joining the RMT and being arbitrarily registered under a branch based on your area of residence. That branch may be a general shipping branch and, as such, they may not have a clue what an ROV is all about, let alone what is going on offshore in the oil and gas industry.

Plus, to vote in branch meetings you need to be a member of that particular branch. So although you may not be able to attend many meetings at the S100 branch in Aberdeen if you do, you will be able to vote on Offshore/ROV related issues.

To join I would suggest that you call the free-phone number in the UK: 0800 376 3706
    (If you have any problems contact S100 in Aberdeen directly for assistance. Explain that you are ROV. They should be able to advise.
    Tel: +44 (0)1224 210 118)

The reason I suggest this approach is so, when you join, you can clearly state that you wish to join Branch S100 (The OILC branch of the RMT) in Aberdeen which is dedicated to offshore energy workers. The branch is run by the OILC crew that used to run the OILC Uni0n before they merged with the RMT not too long back.

I renewed my membership (by phone) some time back and had quite a time trying to get them (RMT in London) to understand that I wanted to be registered under the above branch and no other. After the event I contact S100 (Aberdeen) and advised them that they (RMT London – where the 0800 number is serviced) didn’t seem to know what the OILC branch was. It seems there is also a shipping branch numbered 100. So be very clear with them which branch you want.
    I have subsequently been advised that they(RMT London) are more aware of the branch now and may already be familiar with request from ROV types to join S100 in Aberdeen.

You can also join the RMT via their website at: http://www.rmt.org.uk/A direct link to the joining page is: http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeId=89727
    I’m not sure that you can specify a branch of preference when joining online and experience tells me that it can take a while to transfer if you happen to end up registered under another branch.

I need to be clear about something.
    As an RMT member, and being ROV, no matter which branch you are registered under the OILC branch will keep you informed about ROV related issues should you contact them and request it. But to me it makes far more sense to keep all ROV people under one roof for ease of admin if nothing else.
    If you are already a member of the RMT but registered under another branch, and wish to transfer, it is my understanding that you need to request a branch transfer yourself. S100 cannot initiate it for you.

Bristar
    Participant

Sweet have just signed up to the OILC branch!

If like me you can’t get through on the 0800 number you can get through to the membership team direct using 020 7529 8858. Remember to ask to join branch S100.

liddelljohn
    Participant

How much does it cost ?

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

How much?

Jack Sh*te

If you’re interested go to the website and it tells you.

It’ll cost you less than one days pay per year, unless you’re on silly money

Join, and get a voice

Monkey

Ray Shields
    Participant

Sweet have just signed up to the OILC branch!

Have they? Gosh aint heard of them since they had hits in the 70s with Little Willy and Blockbuster.

Do they work offshore now as well, times must be hard but at least there will be entertainment in the smoke shack…

Bristar
    Participant

How much does it cost ?

about £15 a month

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Or about two packs of cigarrettes a month to those that smoke! Hardly a killer on the money front.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar