Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Junior ROV Pilot/Tech Programme.

Junior ROV Pilot/Tech Programme.

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Junior ROV Pilot/Tech Programme.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    marc cook
    Participant

November 2013 will see Indicomm Global launch its ROV Graduate/Junior Pilot Tech Programme with one aim in mind; to help lower the current shortfall in competent ROV Pilot Tech’s around the world.

IMCA announced recently that there is currently a worldwide shortfall of some 1500+ personnel in the ROV industry, with an estimated future shortfall of around 2,000 or more in the next three to five years. Indicomm Global limited have been supplying high-end engineers to the subsea industry for over a decade and have expanded into the Oil & Gas and Renewable energy sectors.

Managing Directors of Indicomm Global Ltd, Gez Fairbairn and Steve Jones met with a range of vendors at the 2013 SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition in Aberdeen. With operations ramping up around the globe, and numerous companies reporting that major projects are in the pipeline for 2014 and beyond many vendors expressed their concerns within the industry over the shortage of experienced engineers (in particular ROV pilots), and the effect that this could have on securing resources for these future projects.

In response to the surge in demand, Indicomm Global Limited launched a massive global recruitment campaign aimed mainly but not exclusively at ROV pilots. Part of the shortfall problem soon became clear when although we had literally hundreds of qualified pilots apply, many have limited or no real world flying time, however all are desperate to become part of a team and working towards improving their competences and flying time.

Our Junior ROV Pilot Technician scheme has been developed with this in mind, with the intention of helping qualified pilots the all important flight time and, as soon as possible, contribute to making a considerable reduction in the current and projected shortfalls.

We are looking for operators as well as qualified Pilots who would like to take part in the programme, please email marc@indicomm.co.uk if you require more information.

Roy Simson
    Participant

Hi Marc nice to see you on the site and all ok on the thousands of trainees that cannot get a start into the industry due to the lack of flying hours .

I think the flying hours is only a very small part of the problem of why people cannot get in , For starters there must be thousands of guys who have done these course costing any thing from £2500 to over £10500 and had no luck on getting into the rov industry . Yes there are a few who have done the course and found work within a few weeks however there are thousands who have all been sold the idea of getting into the Rov industry by the training schools only to find closed doors

Over the years on this forum we have had many debates on is it even worth paying out for your own course and why not wait for one of the larger rov company’s to put you through one of its own in house training programs .

Now you have not said were your doing these courses , Local swimming pool or sand pit maybe some local docks it will be under controlled conditions plus you have not said what vehicle your going to use , inspection or maybe a small work class .

As for the shortage of experienced rov personnel the company’s can only blame themselves due to the silly rates on offer via the agency’s , The cost of living has gone up over the years and rov rates with some company’s have remained the same plus the poor working conditions but this is a other topic.

At the end of the day if someone pays to get extra flying hours in there log book will it get them a job .

There is already a training course in Scotland selling flying hours http://rovhourbuilder.co.uk there using a AC-ROV 100 micro rov .

So the idea is not new , But I would love to know how much all this is going to cost and at the end of it there are still no guarantees that your get a job .

Cheers

Raptor

liddelljohn
    Participant

i keep seeing trainees who can fly reasonably well but dont have much technical or analyitical ability and lack common sense thats more of an issue methinks .

John Bridgett
    Participant

November 2013 will see Indicomm Global launch its ROV Graduate/Junior Pilot Tech Programme with one aim in mind; to help lower the current shortfall in competent ROV Pilot Tech’s around the world.

IMCA announced recently that there is currently a worldwide shortfall of some 1500+ personnel in the ROV industry, with an estimated future shortfall of around 2,000 or more in the next three to five years. Indicomm Global limited have been supplying high-end engineers to the subsea industry for over a decade and have expanded into the Oil & Gas and Renewable energy sectors.

Managing Directors of Indicomm Global Ltd, Gez Fairbairn and Steve Jones met with a range of vendors at the 2013 SPE Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition in Aberdeen. With operations ramping up around the globe, and numerous companies reporting that major projects are in the pipeline for 2014 and beyond many vendors expressed their concerns within the industry over the shortage of experienced engineers (in particular ROV pilots), and the effect that this could have on securing resources for these future projects.

In response to the surge in demand, Indicomm Global Limited launched a massive global recruitment campaign aimed mainly but not exclusively at ROV pilots. Part of the shortfall problem soon became clear when although we had literally hundreds of qualified pilots apply, many have limited or no real world flying time, however all are desperate to become part of a team and working towards improving their competences and flying time.

Our Junior ROV Pilot Technician scheme has been developed with this in mind, with the intention of helping qualified pilots the all important flight time and, as soon as possible, contribute to making a considerable reduction in the current and projected shortfalls.

We are looking for operators as well as qualified Pilots who would like to take part in the programme, please email marc@indicomm.co.uk if you require more information.

You mention several times ‘qualified pilots’ as far as Im aware there aren’t any qualifications for ROV pilots?

Ray Shields
    Participant

And how are they "qualified pilots" (as above, no such qualification) if they do not have the flying hours?

Flying an ROV is a very small part of what we do. We are employed to operate and MAINTAIN. You cannot employ people who know how to fly – every company knows this. You employ people on the basis that they can maintain and repair the equipment. Learning to fly comes along afterwards with experience.

How relevant would having 200 hours "flying" in a log book using, say, an AC-ROV be for a company wanting to employ people to operate a Work Class ROV.

Its like saying you have 500 hours flying a Cessna and applying for a job as a 747 pilot.

Why are you looking for "qualified pilots" to join a Junior ROV Pilot Technican course? If they are "qualified" then why would they want to go backwards.

Yet another company trying to cash in on the "shortage". As above, the ROV companies have themselves to blame for the shortage.

marc cook
    Participant

Hi and thanks to all that have replied.

As there seems to be a little confusion as to what we are trying to do here I’d like to clear things up a little.

Basically, we have a large selection of engineers on our database who already have the prerequisite electrical, electronic, mechanical or hydraulic experience that is required in the ROV Industry. All have completed some sort of ROV training induction course but are finding it hard if not impossible to find work with operators because of their lack of experience/flying time.

Our aim is to find employment for these guys with various operators around the world who can team them up with either their own supervisors or ours if preferred and start building up their flight time in a real world environment.

Ray Shields
    Participant

although we had literally hundreds of qualified pilots apply, many have limited or no real world flying time

You stated you had qualified pilots, these people who attend ROV introduction programs, are not qualified pilots – the fact that their flying hours are low or non existent shows that as well. Apart from the fact there is no such "qualification" as an ROV pilot (despite what any Training School or trade organisation may like to think).

So, basically you are going to try and find jobs for ROV Trainees? And in return you will be paid money by said desperate Trainees or companies?

And as I asked, how will this flying hours be obtained, on work class ROVs in real world environment or a baby ROV in a test tank? Flying hours are dependent on the job, they are also not the be all and end all of being a competent ROV pilot.

There just seems to be a growing number of companies willing to cash in on desperate people in desperate times, between training schools and agencies, its like everyone is trying to pick off their own bit of meat off a growing pile of desperate people who are promised such a great life of an ROV Pilot (as long as you do OUR course or work through OUR Agency of course)

Sad times, as those who are really well qualified and capable of doing the job get missed out due to the wave upon wave of hopeless people trying to join the industry.

Roy Simson
    Participant

I could not have put it better myself Ray there are so many desperate people out there who want to get in and will try any thing but this is just one more way to try and milk these people .

But rates via agency’s is going lower and lower , I had one agency this morning from Aberdeen offer me a Senior Pilot post in Ghana and the going rate was $600 USD this is silly money ! Had one more from with the day rate of £468 for a Supervisor on a Triton XLX West Africa , But I am getting off the topic here but I cannot see how this scheme is going to work .

Cheers

Raptor

Lloyd Todd
    Participant

IndiComm

Correct me if im wrong but Junior ROV Pilot Technician is just another word for ROV Trainees its just the Clients dont like the word Trainee please dont sugar coat it with a new name.

Agencies should not get involved with training this is the sole responcibility of the Operators, unless your company is both Operator and Agency?

Raptor.

You are correct about some Agencys offering low rate but not all and there is a very simple way to stop this, why dont all Job posts on this site have to have a RATE shown, this would save everyones time and second start naming the Offending Agencys.

Ok thats my rant over for today 😆

Best regards Lloyd Todd

OMSA

T-Boy
    Participant

Convincing opening post.

I could populate a database of ‘pilots’ looking to get a start in the business in about 5 days, it’s really not difficult to collect lots of CV’s these days.

By the time I read your second post, I see the emphasis shift from a ‘company’ aimed at honing peoples skills, to just another quick buck agency.

Shame…you had me fooled for a minute there

🙄

Roy Simson
    Participant

Yes Lloyd its a pity that they dont do what you do and put down what the rates are .

That would be some thing to have agency’s tell us what rates were on offer before you send off your cv . I can only think its very much like being a estate agent you need to have a good supply of houses . Take away the houses and what have you got to offer zero . Same goes for a personnel agency .

But agencys ads seem to be getting very vague :-

ROV Supervisors that are able to work in Qatar on a 3 week rotation will be offered long-term rotations and an increased day rate.

KEY DUTIES
    Ensure Pilots/Technicians carry out all tasks in accordance with the client’s standards and policies.
    To be mindful of safety including organizing and managing the safety of the ROV team, accident reporting,

Nothing about Vehicle or job details or rates. So how on earth do you know if your suitable or if the rates are acceptable or not.

But there is nothing stopping them fishing for personnel So even if they had nothing to offer they can still put out fictional job ads looking for personnel to work in exotic places.Lets face it who will know .

One thing for sure the amount of people doing rov course is going up and up .The last thing the people want is to pay out even more money to buy extra flying hours only to find they still cannot get work .

Raptor

Andy Shiers
    Participant

…………………….AND another Agency leach trying to get in on the action . ……………. AND another Agency that I will blacklist from any bids ! 😀 ….. Unfortunately in your selling Sp[iel , you said the wrong word which leaves a bad taste in the mouth ! 8)
    It reminds me of Market traders ! 😯

Alan
    Participant

Mmm…What is the difference between ROV P/T Trainee and Junior Pilot Tech?
    What a sad times… They act as an Agency to expand their profit and call it Programme for meet the shortage…:) Dark sarcasm in the classroom.
    Shortage is a common fear, the same we can see in Airline industry. Everybody tell us about pilots shortage, but flying schools make their profit over and over. Supply and demand situation, that we can see in all industries.
    So, my direct question to Marc. What about ROV P/T Trainee program in IndiComm?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar