Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – General maximum allowable travel hours

maximum allowable travel hours

Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – General maximum allowable travel hours

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Gillard
    Participant

Was wondering what the HSE policies are in offshore companies for consecutive hours travelled are. We’ve been doing 32+ hours (and that’s from first flight departure to last flight arrival time, not boat-to-bed) and from work without any layover, and a cap isn’t mentioned in my my company’s travel policy.

T-Boy
    Participant

It should be mentioned within the HSEQ blurb form either the client or the agency that you are contracted to.

If you did have an accident after those kind of hours, then I doubt if you would have a leg to stand on 😉

If still no joy, then speak with A.N Other at HR and explain your concerns and ask to have a stopover scheduled in – it’s not unheard of if it is an arduous route.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

If you did have an accident after those kind of hours, then I doubt if you would have a leg to stand on 😉

Actually (in the UK for example) the employer has duty of care to it’s employees under a working time directive 1998. Argue the toss about contractors v employees as much as you wish.. IMHO The courts would view anyone to be working as an employee and offer them the protection of the law in that respect.

In the UK.

Daily rest
    Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, regulation 10, a worker is entitled to a rest period of 11 consecutive hours rest in each 24 hour period during which he works for his employer.

There are ‘get out’ clauses such as change of shift etc. but in the case of an incident UK courts would also wish the employer to demonstrate that they are consciously doing their best to comply with the working time directive. If it can be demonstrated that they continuously ignore the directive then they’ll be in trouble!

So, I would suggest that if there was an accident attributed to tiredness and it was discovered that the company knowingly kept you on the go for as long as you mention then they would also be held liable.

As for maximum travel hours… I think it’s a grey area and only defined in company travel policy (if at all) and not legislated upon by HSE. HSE where? Would be my next question… UK? Thailand? Congo?

Now back to the real world.

1) Ask whom ever arranges your travel to include a break in your itinerary for the reasons you have stated. Send your concerns by email and keep the response, which might be along similar lines to the recent American Airways tweeted customer support response!

2) Keep a travel log (or at least all your tickets stubs as proof of travel) in case anything untoward happens.

3) Make too much noise and you’ll likely not get any travel information from that company in future, so it’ll no longer be an issue! Such is offshore/ROV style life. 🙄

Andy Shiers
    Participant

The Client can also be crafty and have it written into the Contract which you then sign when starting , so read it thoroughly !
    Make sure you have any discussions on emails or on paper prior to leaving your abode

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Sad story that but not uncommon I am afraid. I too used to put a lot of hours for my transit to/from work.

I remember this one time working for GSP being completely knackered and asked for a hotel room instead of spending 9 hours in a dodgy Russian airport. After arguing with the ops manager, I got picked up and driven to the hotel…

I am not going to milk it for you and will tell it to you straight. HSE policies are not for your well-being. They are purely political for the client and operator to look good on paper. They tell you otherwise but its just a big smoke show. If you stand up for your rights, you will either get NRB’ed or promoted lol. But to be fair, all companies usually have a zero drug and alcohol policy… (Don’t see anyone complaining about not following that one.)

The reality is, if you are in a good position with the company, you can ask for better flights and hotel stops, if not, I suggest you suck up to the logistics coordinator. In the end, he/she, can improve your travel without having to ask anyone else.

HSE policies normally state that you should be allowed a minimum rest period of 6 hours after travelling overnight. Weather rest is taken onshore or on the vessel. This differs from one company to the other…

The only company I’ve ever seen applying this is Technip.

Cheer,
    E.

T-Boy
    Participant

The only company I’ve ever seen applying this is Technip.

Mai oui.
    The Sonsubs and Saipems of this world will charge around 30% of your day rate if you travel with them for less than 8 hours and full day rate over that…kind of an incentive to keep going I guess!

sergeybof
    Participant

That’s great news.
    Six months ago, I thought I might have cancer, it made me all serious. Different strokes, I guess. My default position is daftie/joker mind you.

It’ll make your time together that much more special.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar