Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Offshore Safety/Survival Courses MIST and IMIST- What’s this all about? Do I need it?

MIST and IMIST- What’s this all about? Do I need it?

Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Offshore Safety/Survival Courses MIST and IMIST- What’s this all about? Do I need it?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

It seems we were running two threads on this bloody MIST fiasco! MIST is a useless introduction, in the guise of safety, if I ever saw one

To save us going over all the same ground again I’m going to combine both threads into this one.

Would it not have been easier to post a link to this info rather that paste the whole thing from another website?

Ray
    I’ve edited the (loooooong) FAQ post by deepseacon to leave only the link to the FAQ’s which, I suspect, may change over time and probably have since Deepseacon posted in Jan 2009.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This will need to be refreshed every 4 years to maintain the current vantage accreditation

Vantage Accreditation?
    Just picked up on this (I think Ray mentioned it earlier too)

To the best of my knowledge Vantage isn’t used on boats. Can anyone correct me on this?

In all my years offshore I’ve never had a Vantage number/card or whatever.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James,
    I have tried writing already with no response.

This is a link to the original idea.

http://www.opito.com/uk/library/IMIST_Rev_0__24_Nov_2010.pdf

Please note the targeted people.

I note that that document was updated just a couple of months ago
    Revision 0: (24-Nov 2010)

The document refers not to MIST, but instead to IMIST

So the correct name is now: International Minimum Industry Safety Training.

So, as the name clearly suggests, OPITO has designs to implement this internationally.

Source: http://www.opito.com/uk/library/IMIST_Rev_0__24_Nov_2010.pdf

To address this need, companies in the UK North Sea, along with Step Change in Safety, agreed to develop an introductory training programme that would introduce the key safety elements required by all employees.

Employers, through the Middle East Africa and Asia Pacific Employers Forums, from oil and gas regions around the world have asked for an equivalent programme to be developed to meet the global needs of the oil and gas industry. In response to this request, OPITO, in conjunction with industry representatives, has developed an International Minimum Industry Safety Training standard suitable for use irrespective of location.

With reference to targeted people:

The OPITO “International Minimum Industry Safety Training” (IMIST) is highly recommended for all inexperienced employees in the Oil & Gas Industry.

A.1
    Target Group
    This introductory safety training programme is designed to introduce the fundamental safety elements of the oil & gas industry to new starts, giving an appreciation of the potential hazards and controls that might be encountered by personnel. Each unit has been designed to focus the delegates’ attention on their personal responsibility for safety thus influencing their behaviour and attitude towards their co-workers, the installation and the environment.

So, why are experienced personnel being told they will require a MIST certificate and being requested to take the exam?

I would love to see a list of all these employers that have supposedly asked for quote: "an equivalent programme to be developed to meet the global needs of the oil and gas industry"

There is so much behind closed doors stuff going on here!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Note:

We are now discussing International Minimum Industry Safety Training (IMIST) here – (not MIST)

I will change the name of the thread to reflect this.

rov_er
    Participant

What I might also do is create a standard letter and post it in this forum so that it can be copied/pasted and sent to whomever it may have most impact with.

It’s a good idea, if OPITO receives dozens (hundreds?) of such a letter from ROV people it should have some effect.
    At least, they would realize that not just a very few people are annoyed by what is going on with MIST and certificates in general.

rov_er

tc1
    Participant

James

There are indeed two courses.MIST created 2008 and IMIST created 2010 both are seperate entities

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

This is mystifying!!! Why another one?

tc1
    Participant

Because they are not happy with just ripping the uk sector for a couple of million,they want it from everybody to fill their cofers.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

tc1,

Sorry, they won’t get it from me – the chain is on the wallet!

DJansen
    Participant

What a feed of Shite..

MIST – Minimum Industry Safety Training

Surely the OPITO offshore survival/HUET etc IS the MINIMUM required industry safety training ?

Or if the MIST is the ‘Minimum Industry Safety Training’ then why bother doing a full offshore survival ? The name itself is laughable.. It’s either the minimum training required to go offshore or it isn’t.. If it isn’t and you already have an OPITO approved cert why do you need another cert

This is almost as big a con as the stupid HV cert nonsense.. Okay if you have to do a HV cert once fine.. But why does that need renewing every few years?

This as James says is just another cash extraction scheme.. Everybody, not just ROV guys should be saying ‘get fucked !’ We ain’t paying for this. and we aren’t interested in it.. Tack it on to the OPITO sea surv for new guys if they really think there is something worthwhile but making it a seperate stand alone renewable cert for experienced guys is a farce..

Pretty soon we will all be so neck deep in all this box ticking, form filling, report writing, safety training bullshit we won;t have time to do any work..
    What do they want ? Work on the sub or write about working on the sub?

No prizes for guessing which one you need for a problem free, reliable vehicle… I’d rather be doing the job than checking fookin boxes anyday.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

DJansen
    Well said :tup:

It’s about time people stopped running scared and clamming up each time the so called ‘safety‘ word in mentioned. It beats me why people appear to be 99% compliant in dipping into their pockets and paying for this scam.

As can be clearly seen, organisations can cook up any scheme they like as long as it’s under the guise of ‘safety‘ and not expect too much opposition! It’s a blank cheque.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James

There are indeed two courses.MIST created 2008 and IMIST created 2010 both are seperate entities

I don’t get it. If MIST it’s supposed to be a minimum standard, why is there a need to two different types of training?

tc1
    Participant

James,
    MIST only applies to UK sector. IMIST is a further creation to encompass all international sectors.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James,
    MIST only applies to UK sector. IMIST is a further creation to encompass all international sectors.

Cheers for that.

I can’t see the UK MIST being acceptable out-with the UK sector when there is an IMIST in place.
    Equally…..
    I can’t see someone with just IMIST (and not MIST) being able to work in the UK sector when MIST is the cert required.

You can just see where this is all going…..:roll:

At some time in the future if people are to work in the UK sector and International market they will need three tickets…. BOSIET, MIST and IMIST!

That’s just for starters. What happens when some other countries jump on the band wagon and get a super safe pang of conscience (oops sorry I mean pang of cash generation) and develop their own standard by copy catting IMIST and insisting that all offshore workers have their version of IMIST before allowing them to work offshore? Years back we saw an element of that in Asia with Malaysia insisting the people took their version of the basic offshore survival course before being allowed to work in Malaysian waters. the UK BOSIET alone wasn’t acceptable to them at the time.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Found this on OPITO’s website:

Major Milestone Demonstrates Oil and Gas Industry’s Commitment to Safety

Friday, 05 November 2010 13:23

Driven by the industry’s commitment to continually improve safety, MIST was introduced in the UK in April 2009. Developed by Step Change in Safety and OPITO, an updated version of the programme was launched internationally earlier this year.

David Binnie, managing director of OPITO said: “MIST set a new standard to ensure that everyone, regardless of role or discipline, has the same basic safety understanding. An entirely voluntary programme, reaching the 30,000 milestone is testament to the continued commitment within the industry towards ensuring the highest possible safety standards among its workforce.”

Source: http://www.opito.com

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘MIST and IMIST- What’s this all about? Do I need it?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar