Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner No Seaman’s Book

No Seaman’s Book

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner No Seaman’s Book

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

The following message is from prasadvkulkarni :

hi everybody there working with ROVs. i am Prasad from India, entering the ROV world by training at Philippines with subnet Services from 8th Jan2007 at phillipines. Will be certified by 28th jan 2007.

i have one problem. I do not have a Seaman’s book. Our Indian shipping directorate offers and issues it only to Sailing seamen. It could be of great help to me if you could guide me about which seaman’s book I should apply for other than Indian to start with for an ofshore job? Earlier I had a Liberian book but it has lapsed and they are not renewing it because I have not sailed at all.

I have no clues. waiting for your advises.

thanks

Prasad

TheBaron
    Participant

Try Panamanian.

Prasad Kulkarni
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for that. Could you please let me know how and where I can apply for the Panama Seaman’s Book?

Any websites, application forms, contact addresses, documetns required?

thanks again,

Prasad Kulkarni

TheBaron
    Participant

Prasad, for your own benefit I will be blunt.
    Use your initiative. If you have found your way to this website, I’m sure you can find your way to Google.

You can lead a horse to water……

Andy Shiers
    Participant

If you actually get excepted by a company , they will process your application.

rover37
    Participant

I wouldnt worry to much. The discharge book is due to be phased out soon and is only usefull as a personel record.
    Companies require a seamans card for cheap flights, so if they want one they will pay for it.

TheBaron
    Participant

Rov37 and all interested, you should note that there are some countries that will only allow you to work offshore by Seamans Book alone. Examples are:
    Burma(Myanmar), Qatar and Iran(sometimes).
    I’m sure some folks could add to this.

Edited to keep lastboi happy. 😳

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Your Enleesh is failing you Baron 😆
    Two ‘L’s in allow 😉

K2
    Participant

A Seamans Discharge Book and Seamans Card are two different things.

I obtained my current Discharge Book from:

Registry of Shipping & Seamen
    PO Box 165
    Cardiff
    CF4 5FU

I never bothered with a Seamans Card, never needed it. I only carry a Discharge book to record my sea service for IR purposes although a discharge letter can be obtained from the Captain of any vessel so even the book is not a statutory requirement……..never worked anywhere where it has been and I’ve worked pretty much most places……except Qatar/Burma/Iran!! 😆

😉

TheBaron
    Participant

K2, you’re missing all the fun! Your loss, not mine……er…maybe not! 😆

misiuek
    Participant

the seamens book is handy for the cheap flights a) for the company b) for yourself ….ahem if you make up a boat your joining.
    you sometimes get asked at the ticket counter for proof….

qatar – you have to have seamens book or you dont get in … once in you wonder why you bothered (as for your book they will sign everywhere anywhere other than the next page never mind next line!)

Myanmar – (Burma is no more as is the british empire!) never used seamens book there apart from the fun of having pages stamped for prosperity.

anyway being rov, is it not a blast sticking seamens book under some captains nose for signing ….

TheBaron
    Participant

Misieuk,
    In 1989 the military authorities in Burma promoted the name Myanmar as a conventional name for their state; this decision was not approved by any sitting legislature in Burma. Myanmar is a derivative of the Burmese short-form name Myanma Naingngandaw.
    As this name change has not been nationally or internationally formalised, many countries have officially refused to recognise it, and continue to use Burma.

I don’t want to get into politics, history or human rights abuse with you Misieuk, but let’s just agree that you should wind your neck in on this one, eh! 👿

misiuek
    Participant

i’m in love 😉

yes oh well versed one i can read too.

but too anybody going there if you stay in traders hotel or any other likewise hotel i wouldnt say burma..

dont do what i did i and get into a drunken discussion with a local at the bar saying expressing opinions about politics and welfare (can get even more boring drunk!) to discover person drinking with’s father just had the age of retirement extended so he could stay in government longer…… taxi!

wind my neck in …. indeed….

Andy Shiers
    Participant

What,because he wanted to ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar