Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Oceaneering Batam Training

Oceaneering Batam Training

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Oceaneering Batam Training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Quincy
    Participant

Is Oceaneering’s training facility in Batam ran on a set schedule or are courses ran as needed?
    I was curious how often the classes start up and how many seats per class.
    Thanks.

Alan
    Participant

Part of the info is here:
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/13785183
    The Introduction to ROV Training Course is 26 days in duration. The course is demanding with classes held 7 days per week. Only ROV Technical and Operational specific curriculum is taught. Course size will be limited to 12 students, to ensure a high Instructor / student ratio.
    Please, keep in mind the course is pretty expensive- about 12000 USD.
    Best wishes!

Carlos Ximenes
    Participant

Is that course for real?? No scam??

Because I have been contacted to do it, but I’m kind of afraid of putting so much money that I don’t have and don’t actually get a job after, or worst, be victim of a scam.

Des_b
    Participant

XDiver,

Doing a course does not mean you will get a job….. Its the same in any other industry.

Up to you whether you do it or not but I assume you have heard all the doom and gloom about the end of the world work wise next year.

If you feel you have the skills to beat the 1000’s of other guys with degrees, HND/HNC’s and industry experience who are already struggling to get a start with and without rov courses, then best of luck to you!!

Des

Carlos Ximenes
    Participant

XDiver,

Doing a course does not mean you will get a job….. Its the same in any other industry.

Up to you whether you do it or not but I assume you have heard all the doom and gloom about the end of the world work wise next year.

If you feel you have the skills to beat the 1000’s of other guys with degrees, HND/HNC’s and industry experience who are already struggling to get a start with and without rov courses, then best of luck to you!!

Des

Well, that’s quite obvious… But since you don’t know my academic or experience background, I don’t see how you gave me any good answer to my primary concern.

Is this a scam?

James Roe
    Participant

Id just like to confirm it is not a scam! I have just been apart of the first paid course and finished on the 21st. It is a great course, well worth the money and I am now having a contract prepared for my participation and successful completion of the course!

Good luck on the course!!

Jimmy

sedco
    Participant

Jimmy, did they offer you a job?

James Roe
    Participant

Just to confirm that we were all offered positions. The other 5 guys have contracts for AME however as I was told there is more work in Asia I have said that I will work there in hope of getting more hitches and working my way up faster. I am just awaiting my contract out which I have been told will be with me this week.

As it says in the email you have received we were not guaranteed a position on completing the course so please don’t think its just in the paper work for no reason.

This said I hope my little experience gives you the motivation to take the opportunity. You will not get a start any other way and I know fugro or subsea7 have also started charging for training.

If you need anything else please email me on jimmyroe16@gmail.com or call me on +447446971707

Please don’t give up this opportunity you will only regret it, either way it is a fantastic course!

Quincy
    Participant

The brochure says the paid class just started a few months ago. I imagine this is a way to weed out applicants and have an evaluation period prior to hiring. I have started the process to take the class but I am checking to see if the GI Bill will cover it first.

turtle
    Participant

"The brochure says the paid class just started a few months ago. I imagine this is a way to weed out applicants and have an evaluation period prior to hiring."

Actually… it’s an alternate profit center for the operators — may as well make a buck off anyone willing to fork out the dough. Blind in one eye, can’t see in the other? No worries mate, just hand over that check and you’re in the queue for travel/high pay/adventure. The number of willing wannabes that can pay will never be limited; available entry level jobs remain the same. Do a back-of-the-envelope calculation for number of paid students, less costs of running a school attached to an existing operation – wu-WOO! Jackpot time.

The selection process for entry into the biz is focused on "who can pay". My next career move is to become an ROV Training Guy — "For a little in my back pocket buddy I can make sure you are at the top of the class" — there’s MY retirement plan.

If you manage to land an offer stand by for the logical next gen level. It just makes sense that Big ROV Companies should start charging agency fees for referring you to their own "in house" employment opportunities — there’s a lot of dosh that could be landing in the company coffers.

Roy Simson
    Participant

I fully understand how you guys feel however I think your not reading the small print of the Oceaneering Training scheme .

" Please note that successful completion of the Introduction to ROV Training Course does not gurantee employment with Oceaneering "

First of all its not mandatory requirement that you do a rov training course if you have experience in Hydraulics or Electronics any mainline rov company will hire you and put you through one of its in house training programs .

Yes I fully understand that more and more rov company’s are charging you but none of them guarantee you employment after the course .

This debate over rov training courses has been going on for years , But its your money ! Just spend a few hours going over the internet and I think your find many people who have done a course and still are unable to find employment .However there are a few guys who did do a course and within a short time they did find work , But as I have said many times its all down to being in the right place at the right time , Just think of it as being a lottery thousands play and you get the odd winner .

This is the ad :-

Oceaneering is offering an ‘Introduction to ROV Course’ in Batam on a monthly basis to fee paying students.

The Introduction to ROV Training Course is 26 days in duration. The course is demanding with classes held 7 days per week. Only ROV Technical and Operational specific curriculum is taught. Course size will be limited to 12 students, to ensure a high Instructor / student ratio.

The course has been formulated to provide a basic understanding of how to safely perform operations and maintenance on an ROV system.

All modules are individually assessed as follows:

• Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality

• Working at heights

• Electrical Safety and Awareness

• Use of test equipment

• Ground Fault Systems

• Electrical Power Flow

• Telemetry and Fibre Optic Systems Overview.

• Introduction to ROV Hydraulics

• Introduction to ROV Manipulators

• Introduction to ROV Tooling

• ROV Pre and Post Dives Checks

• Launch and Recovery ( Winches and A Frames )

• ROV Tether Terminations (Copper and Fibre)

• ROV Umbilical Termination, Electrical and Fibre Optic

• ROV Umbilical Termination (Mechanical)

• Wiring, soldering and cabling (Signal and Power).

• Piloting, Co-Piloting and Navigation
    Desired Skills and Experience

All students must meet a minimum criteria which includes a relevant Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Qualification and / or Experience.

Students will have to complete an online assessment and selection interview to ensure suitability.

>>>Please note that successful completion of the "Introduction to ROV" Training Course does not gurantee employment with Oceaneering. <<<

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/13785183?trk=job_view_similar_jobs

Quincy
    Participant

You are correct in that it will be profitable to run paid training classes, but that is not likely the primary reason to use this model. What is likely is people get hired, get the free training and quickly move on, or people get hired and cannot successfully complete the course.
    It is actually a smart business decision to operate this way since they will have the opportunity to evaluate prospective employees in a practical setting rather than a simple interview and test.

Carlos Ximenes
    Participant

Thank you for all the update, thoughts and experience wise advices I got from your last replies.

One thing I now know for sure, is that it is not a scam, and in fact it is a school from Oceaneering. Not some fake add.

On the other hand, I already have a recent academic background on electronics, electrical, automation and control and some pneumatics/hydraulics.

I was a Hyball ROV pilot and team leader for 8 years and a commercial diver with 16 years professional experience, before I decide to take this academic course.

Now I’m pretty confident about my electronics/electrical knowledge, but not really specific about work-class ROVs. That was the main reason, besides the opportunity to land a contract with Oceaneering, for me to accept and go take this Training ROV Pilot/Tech course…

And with your opinions… It just got harder to choose what to do…

P.S.: I recently seen someone launch a discussion in linkedin group "ROV Pilot and Supervisors Network" by a certain individual, (supposed to be a worlwide known ROV lecturer?!?) about a newbie ROV Pilot wanting to enter the industry, and mailed him about this matter to know his thoughts.
    His answer was only to say that he had an university in malaysia that had the course and issued ROV IMCA Certificates.
    For example.. here is a part of his message:

Isn’t this a scam??

ust for you Information, the University which I do teach as a Lecturer specifically on the course of ROV Pilot Tech II, the following certificates are provided. Thus, I am wondering if Oceaneering is providing the same of better then what is given by the University.

Here is what is provided to the students at by the University.
    A) A Certificate by the University as a ROV Pilot Tech II. This is a certificate with the University and the IMCA approved Logo. Meaning the University is registered with IMCA and follows IMCA guidelines.
    2) The IMCA High Voltage Certificate is also provided to our students.
    3) A Fiber Optic Certificate by the University is also provided where student cover Fiber Optic splicing including Fusion Splicing.
    4) BOSIET is also included and it is a certified approved course. The course also includes Medic First Aids.
    5) Practical ROV flying time covering both day and night shift.

I believe it is… right??

Roy Simson
    Participant

This is not a Scam !

Just for you Information, the University which I do teach as a Lecturer specifically on the course of ROV Pilot Tech II, the following certificates are provided. Thus, I am wondering if Oceaneering is providing the same of better then what is given by the University.

A) A Certificate by the University as a ROV Pilot Tech II. This is a certificate with the University and the IMCA approved Logo. Meaning the University is registered with IMCA and follows IMCA guidelines.
    3) A Fiber Optic Certificate by the University is also provided where student cover Fiber Optic splicing including Fusion Splicing.
    4) BOSIET is also included and it is a certified approved course. The course also includes Medic First Aids.

Please understand that any body can start up a Rov training school as for IMCA its only guidelines nothing more and its not mandatory.

Well like I said and a few others have said the same thing is a nice way to make money but will it find you employment only time will tell .

You must remember that not every body has this amount of money sitting in there bank accounts its hell of a gamble plus look at the oil + gas industry the price of oil is falling day after day which means less projects next year and this problem is not only in Asia its global .

Keep looking for work as a Rov Trainee yes but having to pay for a training course with no guarantee of employment that’s nuts .

Carlos Ximenes
    Participant

This is not a Scam !

Just for you Information, the University which I do teach as a Lecturer specifically on the course of ROV Pilot Tech II, the following certificates are provided. Thus, I am wondering if Oceaneering is providing the same of better then what is given by the University.

Please understand that any body can start up a Rov training school as for IMCA its only guidelines nothing more and its not mandatory.

Well like I said and a few others have said the same thing is a nice way to make money but will it find you employment only time will tell .

You must remember that not every body has this amount of money sitting in there bank accounts its hell of a gamble plus look at the oil + gas industry the price of oil is falling day after day which means less projects next year and this problem is not only in Asia its global .

Keep looking for work as a Rov Trainee yes but having to pay for a training course with no guarantee of employment that’s nuts .

Ok, so I guess that course isn’t a scam either… But I never took into account going in that one. I believe that the person was just selling his school.

But regarding Oceaneering course, since they really offer a chance to get a permanent contract with them (yes, not guaranteed, but it’s possible), is that really such a poor choice?

Since I only had interaction with an Hyball ROV system, wouldn’t it be good to learn more about work class ROVs? Or are my qualifications enough to just try and bust the door??

Thank you Raptor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar