Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    HelpMaBoab
    Participant

As the other posters have said, Oceaneering do not have much man management skills, in fact once the offshore guys get promoted to onshore jobs the old addage rings true "The working class can kiss my arse, i’ve got the bosses job at last".
    Also when you have any problems, it seems you are calling a deaf call centre operator in Bombay.
    The equipment is basically dodgy 70’s lada quality. There is an old story " If you managed to get every Oceaneering Mag / Mill vehicles into the water at the same time (never likely to happen) there would be an oil slick of Exxon Valdez proportions.
    OI wages have always been at the lower end, shitty bonus ‘keep you there’ scheme.
    Still insist on using cages working off boats, although they will use TMS if forced.
    In Africa they have an over relience using local p/t’s, as we all know those locals employed are mostly political appointees, this then puts additional pressures on the experienced supervisors, this coupled with the totally OTT competency scheme.
    Very high relience on drill support operations, ok if that floats your boat.
    Crap company houses (Luanda) coupled with between 4 – 6 days to get to & from the UK.
    All in all, if your ideal in your working life, is to be told when and where to go by nobody you have heard of by somebody that you find it difficult to understand and when you want to talk to the PM you will always be told " he is not available".
    If I am being honest, after working on and off with OI since they bought SOS in ’84, I feel they are a company that does not appreciate it’s best asset, it’s people… All the PM’s are interested in are there profit and loss figures, it’s an American thing I suppose the way they treat everyone.
    All in All, unless I was on the verge of destitution I wouldn’t consider working for Oceaneering, but this is a common feeling with old sweats that have not been brainwashed the OI way…

Long live Tritons 😀

tobs
    Participant

First of all.. I’m a really newbie.. But I have read the FAQ! 🙂

I have read some post’s and I can’t find anything good about Oceaneering. I recon this is mostly the UK, and maybe the US part of the firm.

Any who have some coments about the Norwegian part of the firm?’

I am working for the norwegian part of Oceaneering, and I am happy! 😀 It’s a good company, and they treat the personel good. The pay is pretty much the same as every other ROV- company in Norway, I think. The reason is that the uni0ns are pretty strong in Norway, and every ROV-company is under the same agreement: Oljeserviceavtalen. In english it means something like: Agreement for service companies.
    Of course there are some local differenses in each company.

The equipment is upgraded or changed constantly, and the old Magnum will be changed with the new Magnum Plus as soon as they can ship enough out of Morgan City. Every system use Schilling manipulators (Rigmaster and T3/T4) and pan/tilt units. Every control container have (or will have) a pilot chair. As mentioned in the thread, all the tooling and RCU are designed and produced in Norway, so that bit is covered.

Onshore support works good, with people on watch 24/7. In case of a breakdown, spares will be sent from the beach in a couple of hours.

There is a lot of traning for everyone. Both technical and theoretical courses. In addition to that, all the trainees uses the simulator before going offshore. The simulator can also be used as a "dress-rehersal" before going offshore. A great way to be prepare before a difficult task.

After a two year period we all get in a 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotation. Before that its 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

It may sound like everything is perfect, but of course its not. But in my opinion, the negative stuff are minor issues. I have never wanted to work for another ROV company, that’s for sure 8)

star
    Participant

i am glad Norwegian OI is doing so well,
    regards

ST A and R removed!

bcklad
    Participant

First of all.. I’m a really newbie.. But I have read the FAQ! 🙂

I have read some post’s and I can’t find anything good about Oceaneering. I recon this is mostly the UK, and maybe the US part of the firm.

Any who have some coments about the Norwegian part of the firm?’

I am working for the norwegian part of Oceaneering, and I am happy! 😀 It’s a good company, and they treat the personel good. The pay is pretty much the same as every other ROV- company in Norway, I think. The reason is that the uni0ns are pretty strong in Norway, and every ROV-company is under the same agreement: Oljeserviceavtalen. In english it means something like: Agreement for service companies.
    Of course there are some local differenses in each company.

The equipment is upgraded or changed constantly, and the old Magnum will be changed with the new Magnum Plus as soon as they can ship enough out of Morgan City. Every system use Schilling manipulators (Rigmaster and T3/T4) and pan/tilt units. Every control container have (or will have) a pilot chair. As mentioned in the thread, all the tooling and RCU are designed and produced in Norway, so that bit is covered.

Onshore support works good, with people on watch 24/7. In case of a breakdown, spares will be sent from the beach in a couple of hours.

There is a lot of traning for everyone. Both technical and theoretical courses. In addition to that, all the trainees uses the simulator before going offshore. The simulator can also be used as a "dress-rehersal" before going offshore. A great way to be prepare before a difficult task.

After a two year period we all get in a 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotation. Before that its 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off.

It may sound like everything is perfect, but of course its not. But in my opinion, the negative stuff are minor issues. I have never wanted to work for another ROV company, that’s for sure 8)

Tobs how about you and I swap places for a trip or 2 , I go work in Norway and you can take my place working out of the Dubai office….I’m sure your opinion of OI will change 🙂

jayfactory
    Participant

Oceaneering is losing so many guys because there is no work for them. I work for Oceaneering and last year 2008 they hired 86 new people for ROV. Now with no work and that many people they are just sitting at home making no money. I have been home for 5 weeks now. and i am looking for another job. They shouldnt have hired that many new people back to back.

jayfactory
    Participant

hes prolly leaving for the same reason i am. no work. they hired so many new people last year almost 100 and theres more than 80 people sitting at home waiting for work that have been at home for 6 weeks with no work. just getting behind on bills and losing houses and cars. and oceaneering doesnt want to do s*** about it. 15 cause im out also.

tobs
    Participant

Tobs how about you and I swap places for a trip or 2 , I go work in Norway and you can take my place working out of the Dubai office….I’m sure your opinion of OI will change 🙂

Nah, don’t think so 😀
    But since you’re here, what’s the pay like and how’s is the work schedule in Dubai? 8)

JL Schnabel
    Participant

hmmm jayfactory, interesting words from you – i was in a very similar situation – but last year already it happened to me – having been with Oceaneering for 3 & half years, i sat @ home from the first week of July and waited and waited – finally i was promised an upman on the 1st of October. for very obvious reasons i have since resigned.
    😉

melvodon
    Participant

No work ,yeah right ,more like no effing company man wants junior techs on there system ,rule is 6 peeps only 1 green hat aloud and even thats changing as with credit crunch they can pick and choose who theyget now ,i have been in the same situation as all of you 2 and half years ago ,but i stayed in abz and worked in the base till they could place me ,worked out perfect for me salary and day rate and i could sleep in my own bed every night ,get on the phone and tell them you want base work ,and as for no work there throwing a system out of moron city 1 a week just now ,last time i was in the base there were subs every were to be upgraded or built ,dont hang on for north sea job as that wont happen ,but Angola land ,Brazil,Ghana are busy just now ,you have to realize you are getting a salary for sitting in the house doing all, i know its not ideal but thats what happens if you can stick with it if you cant tell them to shove there job and try some of the other Rov company but i bet you what little shampo i have left that it will be the same ,times have changed no one wants junior anything offshore

ok roger doger over and out

Silent_Angel
    Participant

I’ve been at OI (GoM)for a lifetime. I am an american, signed on OI and been there ever since. When i started, it was quaint, everybody knew each other, you had a few knuckleheads, but they were the comedy relief. Then OI got too big for it’s britches. They use scare tactics to keep their employees in check. "We’ve got ALL the work." blah, blah…
    Many of my co-horts and i agree, they wave the proverbial carrot in front of our faces, just out of reach. To be "something" here you have to get in the clique and suck on the purple pope, and maybe, master will throw a few scraps. I’m in the upper echelon, (yeah, i’ve taken a few to the face) and i’m making $29/ hr. I think that’s about $435/ day if you do the math. Yet i feel completely snubbed and i can name 20 less deserving c*@ts that are superintendents. These are the ones driving so many people away. They came up the ranks, slogged the ops manager -Bayou boys – and now they’re leading us down the toilet. Can’t fly, can’t fix, can’t lead a team – and OI REWARDS this. THE PROBLEM is in management in the office. The only one i have any respect for is the senior ops mngr. The others are a waste of carbon.
    If you’re a nube, come here, (they’ll hire you), work for two years and get your experience, then GO ELSEWHERE, for your $$$. All the guys that quit are going to the start up companies that are throwing what seems like alot of money to them. CI, Onyx, Phoenix, Sonsub, Canyon. Techs start at $14.50/ hr. They promise you when you hire on that after 6 months you’ll get $16.50/hr. – Nope
    You have to fight for every penny you get here. Expect a pay raise once every three years. @+$1.00/hr… If you’re known inside the cardboard cages. If they don’t know you by face/name forget it. Most techs after 2-3 years are getting $16 – $18/ hr (AND THAT’S GOOD). I don’t know many people making more than $30/ hr

Anonymous

Hi
    And why are you working for them????????

Silent_Angel
    Participant

Actually, i’m on my way out. I’ve only recently come across this website and i’ve been sitting home for 5 weeks now.
    Why i’ve stayed so long? – too scared to leave. Don’t know what’s out there. Now i don’t have much choice…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Deep,

Yeah, good question there…. it makes one wonder….. I mean this site (albeit, the old one) was first out in 03′.

enginedude
    Participant

Just to introduce myself into your conversation I used to be the Oceaneering Recruiter. I dont think they are hired 200 this year. That’s funny.

enginedude
    Participant

If interested call 985-612-3365. Ask for Casey

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar