Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? oceaneering losing 12 guys a month

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    enginedude
    Participant

C-Innovation info

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I’ve been at OI (GoM)for a lifetime. I am an american, signed on OI and been there ever since. When i started, it was quaint, everybody knew each other, you had a few knuckleheads, but they were the comedy relief. Then OI got too big for it’s britches. They use scare tactics to keep their employees in check. "We’ve got ALL the work." blah, blah…
    Many of my co-horts and i agree, they wave the proverbial carrot in front of our faces, just out of reach. To be "something" here you have to get in the clique and suck on the purple pope, and maybe, master will throw a few scraps. I’m in the upper echelon, (yeah, i’ve taken a few to the face) and i’m making $29/ hr. I think that’s about $435/ day if you do the math. Yet i feel completely snubbed and i can name 20 less deserving c*@ts that are superintendents. These are the ones driving so many people away. They came up the ranks, slogged the ops manager -Bayou boys – and now they’re leading us down the toilet. Can’t fly, can’t fix, can’t lead a team – and OI REWARDS this. THE PROBLEM is in management in the office. The only one i have any respect for is the senior ops mngr. The others are a waste of carbon.
    If you’re a nube, come here, (they’ll hire you), work for two years and get your experience, then GO ELSEWHERE, for your $$$. All the guys that quit are going to the start up companies that are throwing what seems like alot of money to them. CI, Onyx, Phoenix, Sonsub, Canyon. Techs start at $14.50/ hr. They promise you when you hire on that after 6 months you’ll get $16.50/hr. – Nope
    You have to fight for every penny you get here. Expect a pay raise once every three years. @+$1.00/hr… If you’re known inside the cardboard cages. If they don’t know you by face/name forget it. Most techs after 2-3 years are getting $16 – $18/ hr (AND THAT’S GOOD). I don’t know many people making more than $30/ hr

❓ ❓ ❓ I’m an American living oveseas and I haven’t seen those wages in the industry since circa 1980… Oh wait a minute…. the rates haven’t gone up since then…..

See rates page for a start, get your jaw off the floor, then start ( I mean, really start) to get a grasp on reality. Oh… BTW – do not, I repeat DO NOT leave the GOM.

enginedude
    Participant

I’ve been at OI (GoM)for a lifetime. I am an american, signed on OI and been there ever since. When i started, it was quaint, everybody knew each other, you had a few knuckleheads, but they were the comedy relief. Then OI got too big for it’s britches. They use scare tactics to keep their employees in check. "We’ve got ALL the work." blah, blah…
    Many of my co-horts and i agree, they wave the proverbial carrot in front of our faces, just out of reach. To be "something" here you have to get in the clique and suck on the purple pope, and maybe, master will throw a few scraps. I’m in the upper echelon, (yeah, i’ve taken a few to the face) and i’m making $29/ hr. I think that’s about $435/ day if you do the math. Yet i feel completely snubbed and i can name 20 less deserving c*@ts that are superintendents. These are the ones driving so many people away. They came up the ranks, slogged the ops manager -Bayou boys – and now they’re leading us down the toilet. Can’t fly, can’t fix, can’t lead a team – and OI REWARDS this. THE PROBLEM is in management in the office. The only one i have any respect for is the senior ops mngr. The others are a waste of carbon.
    If you’re a nube, come here, (they’ll hire you), work for two years and get your experience, then GO ELSEWHERE, for your $$$. All the guys that quit are going to the start up companies that are throwing what seems like alot of money to them. CI, Onyx, Phoenix, Sonsub, Canyon. Techs start at $14.50/ hr. They promise you when you hire on that after 6 months you’ll get $16.50/hr. – Nope
    You have to fight for every penny you get here. Expect a pay raise once every three years. @+$1.00/hr… If you’re known inside the cardboard cages. If they don’t know you by face/name forget it. Most techs after 2-3 years are getting $16 – $18/ hr (AND THAT’S GOOD). I don’t know many people making more than $30/ hr

You might want to educate yourself about CI because that Hourly rate also comes with a base salary.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Enginedude,

Mayhaps you should’ve mentioned it previously that there was a "base salary" – though many an old hand are put off by the word "salary"…. Perhaps you should ask yourself why and explain to us why you didn’t mention the word "salary". Curious….

NRady
    Participant

guess what?? I have been working for oceaneering since Dec 2008 and I had been to one upman job 7 days long only so far. No comment. If I told you that I am starving… you will not believe me, because I should have been dead 3 months ago. Anyway, Thank god for everything. 🙄 🙁 🙄

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

guess what?? I have been working for oceaneering since Dec 2008 and I had been to one upman job 7 days long only so far. No comment. If I told you that I am starving… you will not believe me, because I should have been dead 3 months ago. Anyway, Thank god for everything. 🙄 🙁 🙄

Working for OI since Dec. 2008…. starving… seems a no-brainer to me!!!!

It amazes me, the "living in the box attitude" of "my fellow Americans"…. get out of the country if not for anything but to just go trekking only!!!! There’s 6 other continents out there… enjoy!

NRady
    Participant

It amazes me, the "living in the box attitude" of "my fellow Americans"…. get out of the country if not for anything but to just go trekking only!!!! There’s 6 other continents out there… enjoy!

Man, are u drunk?.. what is this you are saying.. it doesn’t make anysense. box … america …. trekking … find me another box if u can.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Man, are u drunk?.. what is this you are saying.. it doesn’t make anysense. box … america …. trekking … find me another box if u can.

Oklie, spoklie…. let me downword it and K.I.S.S. it….

You… live… in…. an ….area…. where…. (perhaps…..) many …. people…. haven’t…. left…. that…. area…. in… a… long… time… if… at all…. Traveling (or trekking)….. is …a … very… good… activity….. for … all… people… on… this planet.

Question: do you own a passport?

Have you ever had "another" box? This is probably WAY TOO cryptic….!

NRady
    Participant

Oklie, spoklie…. let me downword it and K.I.S.S. it….

You… live… in…. an ….area…. where…. (perhaps…..) many …. people…. haven’t…. left…. that…. area…. in… a… long… time… if… at all…. Traveling (or trekking)….. is …a … very… good… activity….. for … all… people… on… this planet.

Question: do you own a passport?

Have you ever had "another" box? This is probably WAY TOO cryptic….!

I hope I am understanding your oklie spokli hocus pocus language …
    But most probably ur theory does not apply on me becasue the whole rov industry is down for the time being and doesn’t matter which country or box I am in. All I am talking about …. why would u hire someone when u have nothing for him to do?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

NRady,

I’m having a difficult time trying to get time off… There was a bit of a glitch in the beginning of the year, but that was short-lived. In 29 years, there have been 7 "sluggish" years in the ROV industry. Get used to it as it’s cyclic. Get a side job or profession. Travel. Learn to speak another language. Read a book. Get a passport. Etc….

NRady
    Participant

NRady,

I’m having a difficult time trying to get time off… There was a bit of a glitch in the beginning of the year, but that was short-lived. In 29 years, there have been 7 "sluggish" years in the ROV industry. Get used to it as it’s cyclic. Get a side job or profession. Travel. Learn to speak another language. Read a book. Get a passport. Etc….

yeah, u r right, Actually I’d already started in some activities like these …. anyway … it has been good talking to u … But I still hope to get back on track soon.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

NRady,

yeah, u r right, Actually I’d already started in some activities like these …. anyway … it has been good talking to u … But I still hope to get back on track soon.

Good luck dude.

John MacDonald
    Participant

Interesting thread this (when ya skip through the bitching rubbish), I started with Oceaneering (UK) in Jan09 and since completing training in March I have now had 2 trips which were around 2 weeks each. All of my training class had an initial long wait to get work but we were all expecting it.
    I’ve read people here saying OI have the best training and although it was quite good in parts i’d be a bit worried if the others were worse than this(maybe other companies are more an on the job training rather than a school like OI, I don’t know).
    I’m not new to offshore but new to ROV and found the training quite basic (although I do have an electronics & electrical background). As for how they treat staff I’d say its a bit at arms length but then i’m new to them and haven’t had much dealings.
    Dunno about number of folks leaving but when we were hired they told us they’d be taking on another 400 this year worldwide, true or not I dunno.

Anyway, hello to everyone since this is my first post. Enjoying my time so far in the world of ROV and ya never know may meet some of you in the future.

Peace

John

Raymond Beavers
    Participant

I worked for Oceaneering for almost 2 years and decided to leave for many reasons. I knew that I was working for a low wage when I started but figured that I would receive raises as I was promoted. I’m not there anymore so I think you can figure out the obvious. I worked with some great people when I was there but like any other company they had their share of idiots.

crusty
    Participant

never worked for them, but the few i know that have left recently from OI Asia left because the pays crap and the bosses are aresholes

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar