Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Oceaneering Pay Rates, Australia 2012

Oceaneering Pay Rates, Australia 2012

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Oceaneering Pay Rates, Australia 2012

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul Elliott
    Participant

Superintendent Aus$1057 (AverageAus$1600)
    Supervisor Aus$960 (Average Aus$1500)
    Snr PT – Sub Eng Aus$875 (Average Aus$1350)
    PT1 Aus$847 (Average Aus$1200)
    PT2 Aus$765 (Average Aus$1100)
    PT3 Aus$677 (Average Aus$950)
    Trainee $550 (Average Aus$760)

Stu
    Participant

Very Very Poor Rates. You are only bringing the rates down if you except these rates. Talk about OI taking the P@*#
    They guy making your bed gets more than this in Australia !!!!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Good to see people highlighting the discrepancies between the going rates and rates on offer by Oceaneering International in Oz :tup:

Question
    Are OI paying these rates in Oz? If so, how do they get away with it under the MUA’s nose?

Sit Rep
    Participant

I venture to say that you wouldn’t find any MUA members working for OI.

They’ll be attracting a "great" calibre of personnel with those rates!

If true these rates do seem to be at least 5 years behind the times.

The quoted Superintendent rates are lower than a PT for any of the other current operators in the Australian region to my knowledge.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Anywhere in the world OI have always paid well below average from what I have heard/read. It’s just that with the Oz market seemingly pretty tight on union rates I’d be interested to see how OI can pay well below average in Oz and get away with it when some other big operators appear obliged to pay union rates.

Paulo Lee
    Participant

My guess, they still be charging the client the going Oz rates. Greedy – Greedy 😡 😡 😡

angus stewart
    Participant

Superintendent Aus$1057 (AverageAus$1600)
    Supervisor Aus$960 (Average Aus$1500)
    Snr PT – Sub Eng Aus$875 (Average Aus$1350)
    PT1 Aus$847 (Average Aus$1200)
    PT2 Aus$765 (Average Aus$1100)
    PT3 Aus$677 (Average Aus$950)
    Trainee $550 (Average Aus$760)

angus stewart
    Participant

These rates are just utterly pathetic. I dont understand how time and time again they constantly F@#* over their bread and butter(staff) and line their own pockets. They come down here with this attitude they are to big and strong and can do what they like. Well I remember they did this 5 years ago and got run out of Aus quick smart and dont forget we have long memories. I feel for the staff but if you accept it and are happy good luck to you. These rates are what most asian companies are paying for day rates. The Oceaneering rates in Australia are about 60% of their competitors rates. Now is the time to shop around, there is a ton of work out there and most people are paying good money, just have a look. Dont get fouled into their stories that they have heaps of work in the pipeline and the rates will go up, they are snakes. Lets wait and see how it pans out but my prediction is that they will be running back home with their tale between their legs(hopefully S#*! on their face this time) in about 18 months time. Whatever you do don’t buy into their lies.

Neil McNeil
    Participant

Whilst I agree that these rates are low for Aus, I think that this idea that the MUA is the greatest thing that ever happened to the ROV business in Aus needs looking at.
    Recently, a number of the employees of a very well known company – 2 letters 1 number – had the temerity to stick up for themselves and appoint the MUA rep as their bargaining representative in the new round of pay deal negotiations.
    A number of them who persisted with this course of action had their employment terminated either by a one line e mail- classy – or their phone stopped ringing.
    When the union was contacted about this situation, their eventual and reluctant response was "eh there’s not much we can do about it" !
    It subsequently emerged that the MUA had no real bargaining rights for the ROV guys and the rights still remained with the Maritime Officers Union.
    To all of the ROV people still in the MUA, can I ask you
    1 are you paying the full rate of MUA membership ( I was paying about $27 a week) – which is no where near the full rate AND THAT WAS ALL THEY WANTED.
    2 Have you or any other ROV members ever had occasion to call on the union for assistance ?
    The MUA is a very strong union for seafarers and divers but for ROV punters?

Donks

Neil McNeil
    Participant

Further to this subject, has anyone heard of Oceaneering importing American citizens into Oz on 457 visas on the pretext that there are no Australians with the necessary skills?

scoots
    Participant

Big wall of silence eh…further to this, one might ask, is there an Aussie working for Oceaneering in Aus at all? I answered a recruitment agency ad for this mob recently. They showed interest and then the ol whats your expected salary came up. Tried to get it out of them but no go. When i replied with expection in line with Aus rates…no reply. Im thinking maybe Fair Work Ombudsmen should be looking at these guys.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Whilst I agree that these rates are low for Aus, I think that this idea that the MUA is the greatest thing that ever happened to the ROV business in Aus needs looking at.
    Recently, a number of the employees of a very well known company – 2 letters 1 number – had the temerity to stick up for themselves and appoint the MUA rep as their bargaining representative in the new round of pay deal negotiations.
    A number of them who persisted with this course of action had their employment terminated either by a one line e mail- classy – or their phone stopped ringing.
    When the union was contacted about this situation, their eventual and reluctant response was "eh there’s not much we can do about it" !
    It subsequently emerged that the MUA had no real bargaining rights for the ROV guys and the rights still remained with the Maritime Officers Union.
    To all of the ROV people still in the MUA, can I ask you
    1 are you paying the full rate of MUA membership ( I was paying about $27 a week) – which is no where near the full rate AND THAT WAS ALL THEY WANTED.
    2 Have you or any other ROV members ever had occasion to call on the union for assistance ?
    The MUA is a very strong union for seafarers and divers but for ROV punters?

Donks

Sad to hear this …. Unions work well if monitored properly, but many I saw in the US when I was younger were indeed after the money first, assistance second. Wouldn’t have been nice to have a global ROV Association.

liddelljohn
    Participant

back in the 1970s i worked for a major aerospace company in UK our union was the Amalgamated Engineers Union we all paid £4 subs for 7 years but when the company made 60 of us redundant the Union did nothing and actually told us that as we had lost our jobs we were no longer Union members !!!!! mind u the company re hired me via an agency on better money for 2 years within 3 weeks ???? another job for a telecomms company the Union Officials always sided with the employers as they were all golfing buddies ,,they were only interested in their own interests not ours since then i have had no truck with unions they seem unreformed ,,, not to say workers need help fighting ever more vicious companies but ?????

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar