Home Forums General General Board Offshore Medicals

Offshore Medicals

Home Forums General General Board Offshore Medicals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bonesplus
    Participant

Ok gents, I have a basic question that I cannot seem to get a definitive answer for, and figured what the hell, just ask…

I have been looking at gaining employmet within the ROV sector for a reasonable time, but never really pressed on it, having the " I already have a job, just bide my time and it will turn up trumps" frame of mind….Well, Now I figured I am going to go for it all or nothing..which leads me to this…
    I don’t think I will have a problem with the physical side of any tests, but I have read that a blood sample is required for the medical….problem is, I am a trypanophobic…I have an extreme fear of needles. Do any of you also sufer with this problem (I don’t just mean "don’t like needles"!!)and how do you get the medical pass?

I have reasonable quals as far as practical skills go – I served time in the Royal Engineers as a Plant Op Mechanic, and currently have a position as a mechanic with heavy electrical/hydraulic weighting. I hope this is enough, although I have read that many Hopefull ROV pilots have Mech Eng degrees..do I even stand a chance against such academic quals?

I look forward to reading wha yoou have to say…Cheers

Bristar
    Participant

Well for the medical itself i only had a pinprick redblood cell count… so i didn’t really see any needles just the little box thing that clicks as they prick your finger then smear blood onto a slide.

However your real problem will come when it comes time to take an overseas job. In one session i had to have 5 injections for various innoculations and then the next week I had another 3 or 4. 1 month later another 1 (2nd rabies) and am now due my 3rd rabies shot.

Your background seems fine as you have a solid trade behind you that would put you in a good position at interview. The downside is that the oil price is currently about a third of what it was in the summer months meaning that we are probably entering a downturn in the oil exploration business… this means that there are likely going to be fewer exploration projects meaning that there will be an excess of staff. Making it a lot less likely that you’ll get a starting position.

If i were in your position I would look to maybe getting a formal qualification in electronics or hydraulics, City&Guilds, HNC or NVQ etc while biding your time. Keep an eye on the oil price and once it gets nearer 70 or 80$ a barrel plan to book yourself on an ROV course… pref a UK one. This will give you a really good insight into the industry and allow you to relate your experience to the job when you’re at interview.

Whatever you do, do not leave your current job until you have a formal offer of employment. And right now it’s probably very hard to get an in. However you could send your CV out speculatively and follow up with a phone call, but you probably won’t get anywhere till it picks up.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I dont remember any blood tests as part of the 2 yearly offshore medical? Even if there is, it will be a pinprick as opposed to a syringesworth.

However, as mentioned, you will almost certainly need Tetanus, Typhoid, Hep A maybe Hep b and Yellow fever. So you may have a bit of a tough time getting those. If you do not take them you are severely limiting your use in ROVs.

You dont HAVE to tell your employer (unless you are asked outright if you have phobias or asked any question where you would have to lie rather than tell them) and then jst tell them when it comes to getting the jabs.

But this is likely to be within your first 6 months probation so they will find out.

We do not want people with Degrees, we want people with hands on practical qualifications and experience. Someone with a Degree could tell you the square root of an orange, but they couldn’t peel it!

I agree with the qualifications that Bristar lists, these would all stand you in good stead. I do not necessarily agree that attending a training school would give you an insight into the industry as they seem to be way behind what the industry needs! Its also a VERY expensive insight.

One suggestion could be to get a job as a Base Tech. That way its still and onshore job, you get to work with ROV and equipment with the possibility of getting into offshore later on.

Bonesplus
    Participant

Great, I feel alittle better already, I was worried about the needles thing.

As far as the injections go, I have, in the last couple of years spent a bit of time in warm, sunny, sandy climates if you understand, so had all the above mentioned injections then….I am not sure how often they are due, but am pretty sure I am covered for a little while at least.

I figure (after reading other topics here in), that an in date survival course could be a good advantage, are there any places to steer clear of, or a specific place to contact. and is that the same for the offshore medical…i.e if I where to fork out would it stand me out against the competetors?

Thanks for taking time to help me (and others), I greatly appreciate it.

K2
    Participant

Bonesplus

There are a number of different medicals for working offshore and their content varies wildly. You need to find out which one you need then you’ll have an idea of what to expect.

The main ones for UK are OGUK, ENG1 and the Norwegian OLF.

😉

NewKidOnTheBlock
    Participant

I had my medical 3 weeks ago at Capita in Aberdeen. Didn’t have a blood sample taken, just a pee in a bottle. The whole thing was very straight forward. It was almost the same as a Forces medical was except the nurses were far better looking 😀

ROVRatt
    Participant

Had an UKOOA medical in November. They only pricked my finger for blood. The yellow card was checked to ensure vaccinations were up to date. A hearing test is now part of the UKOOA medical as well. For initial employment the employer may insist on a drug test for which blood will need to be drawn.

Bonesplus, maybe they can give you a tranquiliser after completing the rest of the medical before they prick your finger for blood or draw it? Ask the staff, they are usually helpful.

Bonesplus
    Participant

drugs tests can also be carried out with hair samples…so i’ve heard….would this be an option?

the finger prick is not a problem…it’s not a needle, more a pin. (I have no idea why that makes a difference. it just does)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar