Home Forums General General Board Offshore Survival Training – Fit to Train Assessment

Offshore Survival Training – Fit to Train Assessment

Home Forums General General Board Offshore Survival Training – Fit to Train Assessment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    deepseacon
    Participant

Just had this sent regarding more expense now it seams a OGUK medical is not good enough to train to use a EBS in training environment

Good Afternoon All,

As of 26 March 2018, “wet” (in pool / underwater use) Emergency Breathing System (EBS) training will be integrated into survival training. Anyone undertaking survival training from this date will be required to undergo a Fit to Train (FTT) assessment and present a valid certificate before they can take part in the practical aspect of EBS training. A valid OGUK Medical will also need to be obtained and presented prior to training.

The FTT is only required to be performed prior to survival training – i.e. every 4 years – as such it is not included in the standard OGUK Medical. The assessment will be a confidential questionnaire and mandatory face-to-face consultation with an OGUK Registered Doctor. There may be additional tests (e.g. spirometry), depending on the outcome of the assessment and Doctor consultation.

The FTT medical will take 15 minutes and can be done in isolation or as a ‘bolt-on’ to an existing medical appointment (please note, the ‘bolt-on’ option is much more cost effective). People will either receive a separate “fit to train” or “not fit to train” certificate. The low anticipated number of people who receive “not fit” will still be able to complete the training, but the practical element will be performed at poolside (“dry”) rather than in the pool / under the water (“wet”).

The following scenarios should help clarify what action is required from yourself, with regards to survival and FTT bookings:

If survival training/refresher is due before 26th March, no different action is required. You should proceed to book survival refresher by due date. When your medical expires, FTT ‘bolt on’ should be booked as standard with new medical appointment. If you do not have a current medical certificate, you should book a standard OGUK medical (no FTT is required at this time).

If survival training/refresher is due on or after 26th March, and your current medical expires within 3 months of survival refresher date, then you should book new medical with FTT ‘bolt on’ prior to survival refresher course date (this is more cost effective than booking stand-alone FTT appointment prior to survival refresher, and then new medical afterwards). If you do not have a current medical certificate, you will need to book a standard OGUK medical along with a FTT ‘bolt on’ prior to the training.

If survival training/refresher is due on or after 26th March, and current medical expires after 3 months of survival refresher date, you should book FTT stand-alone appointment (prior to survival course date) and survival refresher. When a medical is due to expire, FTT ‘bolt-on’ should be booked as standard with new medical appointment.
    In summary, the most important point to note is that, from 26th March, a worker will not be able to do their survival without a valid FTT certificate, therefore you must book prior to the survival.

Thanks & Regards,

Technip Offshore Manning Services

Roy Simson
    Participant

Its nothing new regarding showing a (OGUK) medical certificate confirming the delegates fitness as on my last FOET/HUET & EBS back in 2015 I had to show mine. When checking with Petans I can confirm the requirement : BOSIET CA-EBS/ FOET CA-EBS/HUET CA-EBS :
    From the 26th March 2018 the BOSIET CA-EBS/ FOET CA-EBS/ HUET CA-EBS will include in-water CA-EBS training. In order to be able to complete CA-EBS in-water training delegates, when attending the course must bring with them:

A valid, unexpired Oil and Gas UK (OGUK) offshore medical certificate confirming the delegates fitness for offshore work within the UK OR possesses a valid, unexpired offshore medical certificate issued by a body outside of the UK which is recognised as equivalent to the OGUK medical certificate of fitness for offshore work in the UK, AND A certificate of fitness to undertake shallow water CA-EBS training issued by a registered OGUK examining doctor for work in the UK.

CA-EBS training is only a requirement for Europe I have yet had a request from any other clients all over the world so it sounds like MIST , I have yet to been asked to show my MIST cert but I still keep it up to date , Things like HV certs I have let that expire since MTCS no longer do a refresher online course you must do the whole online course all over again at £350 . A HUET CA-EBS will cost you now £350 and Valid for 4 years .

With all these new requirements I can see the death of free lance personnel due to the cost of these certs since there is no cross-recognition between OPITO and MCA and GWO and to do the lot is over 3k dont forget GWO certs are only good for 2 years and OPITO 4 not forgetting all the other cert requirements . All this expense with very little work is going to be a non runner for most .

deepseacon
    Participant

Been told is 100GBP do have the FTT Cert as I already have a OGUK medical valid.

So what was a Medical for 120 GBP has gone to 150 GBP this year and 50 GBP extra if done same time required the FTT Cert which is every 4 years when renewing offshore survival.

100GBP for the cert standalone.

If the Medical is not good enough to train for CA-EBS why would it be good enough to use it in emergency situations.

Roy Simson
    Participant

This is getting confusing as Petans just state you require a from the 26th March 2018 the BOSIET CA-EBS/ FOET CA-EBS/ HUET CA-EBS will include in-water CA-EBS training. In order to be able to complete CA-EBS in-water training delegates, when attending the course must bring with them:

A valid, unexpired Oil and Gas UK (OGUK) offshore medical certificate confirming the delegates fitness for offshore work within the UK OR possesses a valid, unexpired offshore medical certificate issued by a body outside of the UK which is recognised as equivalent to the OGUK medical certificate of fitness for offshore work in the UK, and certificate of fitness to undertake shallow water CA-EBS training issued by a registered OGUK examining doctor for work in the UK . http://www.petans.co.uk/training-courses/survival/

I remember in 2015 as I checked into Petans I had to show my OGUK medical so nothing has changed if this is extra cert this will be issued at the time of the medical so should not effect the price .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar