Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Old man wants a job

Old man wants a job

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Old man wants a job

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    DaveO
    Participant

Hi all.
    I am a new member.
    I live in Thailand, have thirty years as an electronics tech, Just finished ROV course at Fort William ( ok i’ve seen the comments already ).
    Old man willing to learn, looking for work.
    What do you reckon?

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Hi Bandito,

You would probably want to start doing the rounds in Singers (most of the companies are around Loyang offshore Supply Base). Might be worth turning up in person with your CV in hand…that way you get to talk to the guys who are there in the base, give you the feel for what’s going on.

Things are busy within the industry at the moment, same old, famine or feast scenario…you might get out as a trainee with one of the companies…
    – Canyon
    – Fugro
    – Oceaneering
    – Hallin
    – Sonsub

Might even be worth contacting Geo Subsea in Australia, as they do work all over Asia.

Do you have your Offshore Medical and Survival? If not, you may want to hold back on that, as one of the companies would probably put you through them when they take you on as a trainee.

Hope this helps
    Gina

DaveO
    Participant

Hi Gina,
    Thanks for the info. I have already e-mailed my CV to half the world and am awaiting replies. Got my offshore survival and also had offshore medical in Thailand but I’m not sure how valid the medical will be in the real world.

Best regards

Ray Shields
    Participant

Bandito,

can you give us a few more details about the Fort William course? I know everyone slags off courses full stop on here but some are less worse than others 😀

Looking to see what they actually teach you in the course, the content, did you feel it was worthwhile (if expensive!) etc. What ROV they got there and how much hands on do you get.

Speaking to a few people it does seem one of the better courses to do (if you NEED do a course which most people dont)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Get in contact with Mermaid Bandito , as they are just down the road from you !

DaveO
    Participant

Get in contact with Mermaid Bandito , as they are just down the road from you !

Hi lostboy,

Thanks.

Spoke to Chris at Mermaid already and got a favourable response

Regards

DaveO
    Participant

Bandito,

can you give us a few more details about the Fort William course? I know everyone slags off courses full stop on here but some are less worse than others 😀

Looking to see what they actually teach you in the course, the content, did you feel it was worthwhile (if expensive!) etc. What ROV they got there and how much hands on do you get.

Speaking to a few people it does seem one of the better courses to do (if you NEED do a course which most people dont)

Hi raysheilds,

Each student got 10 hours flying Seaeye Falcon in the loch.
    I did the three week course on the ROV. Flying was excellent.
    Found the rest of the course pretty good for people without experience but having been a techie for thirty years I would have preferred some real hands on workshop with in depth coverage of the manuals, schematics etc. and lets break it and fix it. ( if you know what I mean )

Regards

Ray Shields
    Participant

Bandito,

thanks for the feedback. Understand that hands on would be much more useful. The problem with that is, you would only get hands on or details on one specific type of ROV.

This is a problem with the training course at my place, it cant be specific on a particular ROV because the company has several different types. The best that can be done is to explain the general blocks (surface control, power distribution, communications, subsea control, thruster control, aux valve control etc.) so that you have an ubnderstanding of the basics of an ROV system.

All the best with finding a job.

misiuek
    Participant

just to add my tuppence….

like real life a lot of people only work with one system, or one model…. lucky lucky bas….

are you planning on showng the newbies how to make a "tea paddle" pretty essential piece of kit , if yer system missing a perculator…

DaveO
    Participant

Bandito,

thanks for the feedback. Understand that hands on would be much more useful. The problem with that is, you would only get hands on or details on one specific type of ROV.

This is a problem with the training course at my place, it cant be specific on a particular ROV because the company has several different types. The best that can be done is to explain the general blocks (surface control, power distribution, communications, subsea control, thruster control, aux valve control etc.) so that you have an ubnderstanding of the basics of an ROV system.

All the best with finding a job.

Hi rayshields,

Point taken.
    The instructors have to cater for the majority ( which wasn’t me ).
    On the whole a good course which did cover all the points you mention above

Regards

Ray Shields
    Participant

Bandito,

from what I have heard from several people, the Fort William does seem to teach a reasonable amount of knowledge.

Problem is all training schools suffer from the stigma of years go when they really were a rip off and not worth it.

I still think it is not worthwhile (economically) for an individual to pay for the course (different if the likes of the Armed Forces are paying for it as part of the join the real world resetttlement), but it does appear to teach a reasonalbe amount of required knowledge.

DaveO
    Participant

Bandito,

from what I have heard from several people, the Fort William does seem to teach a reasonable amount of knowledge.

Problem is all training schools suffer from the stigma of years go when they really were a rip off and not worth it.

I still think it is not worthwhile (economically) for an individual to pay for the course (different if the likes of the Armed Forces are paying for it as part of the join the real world resetttlement), but it does appear to teach a reasonalbe amount of required knowledge.

raysheilds

I did not get everything I wanted from the Fort William training but I don’t think one ever will. I can say that they teach a good generic ROV course and I do not regret having spent the money.

Six years ago I spent a lot of money retraining into Fibre Optics. This led to three years contracing around the world and putting a lot of money in the bank. I look upon this training as a similar investment which will hopefully give me a similar return.

Regards

Richard
    Participant

I agree with Bandito; You have to make a personal investment to get an education and getting into the ROV business is like breaking into a bank! as its seems to be a closed shop, unless you know someone in the business?

I did a 5 week ROV induction course in Norway which I found very rewarding, even though I had to pay for it myself and did not earn any money in the 5 weeks while I was on the course. But I did make alot of friends and contacts.

Then I even managed to get a job!

CONCLUSION: ‘Best investment I ever made’ 💡

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar