Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Passport could be an issue?

Passport could be an issue?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Passport could be an issue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mircea
    Participant

With 7 years offshore marine experience as motorman on pipe layers and DSV vessels, a certificate as Electronics Technician and a Pilot/Tech certificate with 57 hrs recorded so far, with strong support from my OIM i could’n get a job as trainee from Acergy, nor from other companies that i applied for. Could be that my east-european citizenship is the only thing stopping me to get a position as trainee? And i’ve been trying to get into ROV since 2007, after i have finished my training course in Norway.

"Dear ….,

Further to your recent application for the position of ‘ROV Trainees – March 2013 intake’, I regret to inform you that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.

We appreciate the time you have taken in applying for this position and we would like to wish you every success in your future career.

Yours sincerely,
    Deni Sarafimoski
    Fugro Subsea Services Limited"

bt
    Participant

Mmm!! No most likely the 100+ people who applied for the same position.

Pulling the discrimination card won’t help you get a job.

Keep applying, You’ll get a position sooner or later.

good luck!!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Firstly there is no such thing as a Pilot/tech certificate.

I would suggest you email them back to ask the reasons why you were not successful, if you can find out what advantages others had over you then this may help you in the future, do not try and say they discriminated because of your passport, you are not likely to get any assistance from them if you try and insinuate they have discriminated.

Paul Bond
    Participant

Who did you get 57 hours of flying with? It takes a while to get those hours unless you are already employed by someone.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

With 7 years offshore marine experience as motorman on pipe layers and DSV vessels, a certificate as Electronics Technician and a Pilot/Tech certificate with 57 hrs recorded so far, with strong support from my OIM i could’n get a job as trainee from Acergy, nor from other companies that i applied for. Could be that my east-european citizenship is the only thing stopping me to get a position as trainee? And i’ve been trying to get into ROV since 2007, after i have finished my training course in Norway.

"Dear ….,

Further to your recent application for the position of ‘ROV Trainees – March 2013 intake’, I regret to inform you that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.

We appreciate the time you have taken in applying for this position and we would like to wish you every success in your future career.

Yours sincerely,
    Deni Sarafimoski
    Fugro Subsea Services Limited"

Just take the knock…

Often HR (as it seems that they make the employment decisions these days) have no real clue as to how useful you might be offshore. Nor would they really have a real idea about this anyway. Hopefully, someone will pick up on that in your case.

Keep applying

Good luck. :tup:

Mircea
    Participant

Firstly there is no such thing as a Pilot/tech certificate.

I would suggest you email them back to ask the reasons why you were not successful, if you can find out what advantages others had over you then this may help you in the future, do not try and say they discriminated because of your passport, you are not likely to get any assistance from them if you try and insinuate they have discriminated.

Oh, no?
    Then how comes that Acergy have employed a 25 years old bus driver from Johanesburg with no offshore experience watsoever as ROV trainee AFTER i have applied for the same position while i was working for them as motorman? But he was British citizen… The official excuse was : "You are marine asset, we don’t canibalize our crews."

Yeah, bite me!

PS I meant the ROV flying hours log book, not certificate.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ah, so you are already employed by them or a parent company, you didn’t mention that, this IS a valid reason for them not to do it, many companies have the same rules.

And as I said you will always find someone who knows someone who is totally unsuitable and still gets a job. They are a mate of a mate or similar, its not right but it happens and has nothing to do with passports.

You never answered the question of where you got 57 hours of flying time from, have you previously been employed as an ROV pilot?

Daniel foxley
    Participant

I think your quite lucky, so far I have not even received a rejection email/letter from them.

Mircea
    Participant

I no longer work for them, this happened in 2010.

I got my 57 hrs as part of the training. The company that provided me the training had an contract with Norwegian Underwater Intervention Center in Bergen and we were performing for them ROV tasks (diver observation during training for divers) and inspection for some seabed templates and anode protected structures on their facilities.

They had this one time training course to take maximum benefit of the contract with NUIC, instead of providing them just the ROV services. It was one of the ROV Supervisors from my ship that was the Trainer and he arranged for me to have the course based on the personal relationship we had established onboard.

Mircea
    Participant

Watching the "How many days did you work offshore in 2012?" poll results it looks like almost half of the already experienced pilots have been offshore for more than 6 months. This leaves not much room for newcomers to gather the very sought experience. People are afraid that if they step down a bit from the job, companies will be forced to take in new trainees, the competition will increase and rates will be driven down by guys like myself. I know this first hand, because i’ve had this conversation with pilots onboard and they admitted that this is a major concern for them: more of the so called "low cost personnel" from East Europe getting a foot in the industry. They have seen this happening with the Marine Crews and are afraid it will happen also with the ROV people. A brithis ROV Pilot told me: "If the company will give you the same rates as me, i would have no problem with you competing for the same position. But because you have no problem to take the job for half of that i do my best to prevent this to happen."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar