Home Forums ROVbay! ROVbay! – Items Wanted Phantom HD Parts Wanted

Phantom HD Parts Wanted

Home Forums ROVbay! ROVbay! – Items Wanted Phantom HD Parts Wanted

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    reterm
    Participant

Phantom HD parts Wanted, Anything Considered.

e mail sisinspection@eastlink.ca

Located Canada

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Bloody hell , I thought they went out with the Ark 😆
    Which parts we talkin aboot ?
    PDA boards ?
    Bearings
    Motors ? 180 V 220 V
    Tether/umbilical
    Send me a PM

reterm
    Participant

Yup, you are right, its an old vehicle but fine for what we are doing here in Canada, the ROV is in great shape and Deep Oceaneering say its fine for upgrade, I need a couple of 110v thruster motors for sure, any seals etc
    The topside control unit looks to be in fairly good shape, the umbilical is old and would probably do but might as well replace it as we don’t need anything too long, 300 metres max.
    So if you do have any old parts around let me know and lets see what we can do?

Thanks for the reply

Murray Blom
    Participant

The only thing, and I will repeat that, the only thing that should be done with a Phantom is:-

a) if you are offshore – put it through the thrusters

or

b) if you are onshore – crush it with a steam roller

It was designed by an idiot having a bad day….

Nuf said

reterm
    Participant

Thanks for your great words of wisdom, you are obviously a very experienced ROV Supervisor with great in depth knowledge on Phantom ROV history?

Nice to see very helpful commets on here, but please keep them to yourself on my behalf as you have just made yourself look a right fool in the eyes of other board users.

Murray Blom
    Participant

Actually reterm, I am a very experianced ROV supervisor, 18 years in the game.

Thankfully only one job with a Phantom and we quickly put the poor wee thing out of it’s misery by putting it through the props, biggest mistake we made was not throwing the topside in after it….. The office brought a new sub 🙁

Recomended to another company NOT to buy a Phantom, they didn’t listen and it cost them not only the 6 month contract but around US$25,000 is spares to try and get it working before they were run off.

I refused to work on the system from day one. I asked why they hired me as their Senior ROV Super if they weren’t going to listen when I advised them. Their excuse was ‘but it was sooooooo cheap’ Maybe there was a reason it was sooooo cheap 😯

The Phantom might once have been a thing of beauty but only if you were looking through rose tinted glasses……

Who but an idiot would design a ROV with, I can’t quite remember, but I’m sure you will own up, 23 odd seals which will allow water to flood the ENTIRE system, except for the camera, but that won’t be of much use as the power supply will be busy blowing it’s brains out being covered in water.

If I remember correctly it was designed to be balanced by moving the motors back and forth in the tubes that include the electronics, by moving the motors you increase the shaft length, slightest bend in the shaft and it flogs out the plastic bearing bit at the back alowing the system to flood etc etc etc It was nice though that you could buy new props down at the local model aeroplane shop 😀

Top side, two joysticks, nothing wrong with two joysticks Scorpios have them and they work real well……. Except the Phantom’s ones stick out from the console instead of up from the desk top. I.E. the designer never flew one for more then 10 minutes. First mod you had to make was removing them from the console and stick them in a small box so you had a decent hand controller.

Top side electronics that blow the power transisters if the driver card is removed from the system without allowing, what does the manual say again, 15 minutes was it, for the caps to bleed off. Fn great when you have the cient breathing down your neck asking when will it be back in the water again and why are you all sitting around with your finger up your nose having a cuppa instead of fixing the heap of crap….

If you want to be disapointed and, most probably, be run off a contract keep rebuilding your baby.

And as for looking like a fool in front of other board members lets see how many agree or disagree with me. US$100 says more agree with me than disagree!!!!!!!! 😀

Savante
    Participant

Copy that – was just offered a pair of phantoms DHD2 (are they compatible parts?) for about 42k USD (before bartering)- one complete plus one for spares. Won’t bother – was a bit sceptical about the system when I saw the thruster bodies looked longer than my leg.

Depwater
    Participant

Phantoms wouldnt be my first choose, but I have operated them for years with Oceaneering and we were able to make them would.. I would say that if you can get a job done with a phantom the you could do just about anything.

melvodon
    Participant

Oh dear i feel another rov morph coming for instance a scorpio became Magnum sc ,triton became Magnum tr oh and now looks like it will be Magnum ph oh when we going to get the Magnum pi 😉 ,of course the finished articles work great now ,,,,but look like they were morphed by the machine in team America

Durka durka lurka stan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar