Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Pipeline Survey – Electric or small hydraulic rov ???

Pipeline Survey – Electric or small hydraulic rov ???

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Pipeline Survey – Electric or small hydraulic rov ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Hi
    I am looking for the best option for a pipeline survey job with regards to the type of rov ie electric or a small hydraulic work class.
    it seems that Seaeye and Sub Atlantic have the electric side tied up but are there any reliable small work class systems about.?
    I would like to be able to run a full pipeline survey equipment spread including HD cameras.
    Has anyone got a similar spread currently in use or any opinions on one they have worked with?
    All up weight is to be kept to a minimal as an exisiting LARS may be used on two systems.
    The other question ( posted seperately ) is with regards the main lift and flying tether terminations. I am looking for a similar option that used to be on the Slingsby rovs which had an oil filled box on the main lift end that could be plugged into the JB on the TMS or ROV. Are these still in use anywhere ??
    Any input, opinions etc greatly appreciated.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I’m sorry 😳
    I find it hard to believe that someone who has been in the industry from "Numpty to Superintendo on ROV’s" and then Client Repping afterwards would somehow forget or not keep up with the technology 😯
    May I enquire what capacity or position you are in with this project ?
    Best get in contact with a company that supplys experienced ROV personnel to join this work you are undertaking.
    I can supply a few Consultants names and contact numbers if you wish.
    Please PM me 😀

rovnumpty
    Participant

subseaUK,

The phrase ‘horses for courses’ springs to mind.

You say a full pipeline survey spread – does this include multibeams, ins, pipetracker, CP, boom cameras etc?

If it does, you’ll need a full size work class to get everything onto it.

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Hi Lostboy
    Sorry I may have overstated when I said full kit. No tracker will be needed as all lines are fully or partially exposed ( med to hard seabed ).
    Basically it is proposed to have the following:
    centre, port & stbd cameras ( if possible moving to HD )
    Bathy, alt, profilers.( tritech type system)
    CP
    This has been done in the past with a Seaeye Surveyor without much trouble except for lack of speed and some delays due to currents. This is why a more powerful system ( not necessarily bigger ) is being looked at.

Best Rgds

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Panther Plus for all the above and through in a Doppler for accuracy.

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Cheers Lostboy

Any idea if the P+ can take 3 HD cameras or if additional eqpt would be required.?
    I understand that HD cameras may require more light than normal would that be a problem on the P+.

Appreciate the feedback

Martin Wareham
    Participant

These guys (MMT) use our (SA) ROVs to great effect on pipeline surveys, both Comanche and Mohican, depending on how much room you have on your boat. We are also bringing out a dedicated survey vehicle which is designed for a top hat TMS (rather than a garage type) in the fourth quarter of this year.

http://www.mmt.se/default.asp?sid=11

On one job apparently the quality of data was much higher than a previous survey done by a larger hydraulic vehicle.

If you need any more info. please e-mail me at martin.wareham@f-e-t.com

Martin

subman
    Participant

Why do you want to go with P+ ? Unless you like stripping the pod down to change the fuses after each dive SM5 Thrusters were never much good or if you want even more fun and games put it in a TMS then your need a chain block to suck the vehicle out to get to the pod .
    It flys ok if you do lose 2 or 3 thrusters but its just a pain !

Nothing wrong with the good old Seaeye Surveyor as for speed I find about 1.5 knots is just nice for the vessel to follow you , I think we were doing about 11 kms in one 12 hour shift . Its a bit like driving a mono rail train
    Have wheels on the skids just come down on the pipe with a bit of vert on and forward trim on and away you go .

We had 3 cameras port , stbd and crown
    Fixed CP contact probe
    Bottom profiler
    TSS Pipe Tracker fitted

Not sure what size of pipe your going to survey but good luck .

Cheers

Subman

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Why do you want to go with P+ ? Unless you like stripping the pod down to change the fuses after each dive SM5 Thrusters were never much good or if you want even more fun and games put it in a TMS then your need a chain block to suck the vehicle out to get to the pod .
    It flys ok if you do lose 2 or 3 thrusters but its just a pain !

Nothing wrong with the good old Seaeye Surveyor as for speed I find about 1.5 knots is just nice for the vessel to follow you , I think we were doing about 11 kms in one 12 hour shift . Its a bit like driving a mono rail train
    Have wheels on the skids just come down on the pipe with a bit of vert on and forward trim on and away you go .

We had 3 cameras port , stbd and crown
    Fixed CP contact probe
    Bottom profiler
    TSS Pipe Tracker fitted

Not sure what size of pipe your going to survey but good luck .

Cheers

Subman

Hi Subman
    Your comment is exactly the reason i posted in the forums here to start with. I have no experience with the newer Seaeye or SA vehicles and never played with any Hydro-Electric smaller than an ST200.
    Feedback on these systems from current and previous hands on users is by far the most valuable resource i can think of.
    Manufacturers will tell you what you want to hear ( it is business after all ) but this does not help the guys on deck when (known) problems start occurring etc.
    The main thing in the feasibility exercise is not necessarily increased speed as much as extra power to operate longer in tidal windows with the possibility of additional pay load etc.
    A survey skid with wheels is already in use and performing well but as you know the client will always push for more!!!
    Any experiences with SA vehicles or small hydro-elec rovs in this sort of operation???

Cheers guys

Ray Shields
    Participant

Regarding speed, remember you are not going to be going much above 1km/hr anyway for a visual and profile survey. Well,not for a decent survey anyway 🙂

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Regarding speed, remember you are not going to be going much above 1km/hr anyway for a visual and profile survey. Well,not for a decent survey anyway 🙂

Hi Ray

As previous, speed not the main requirement as opposed to the ability to remain in water in strong current thereby giving a longer work window or the possibility of actually working through tides.!!!

No point of the abillity to do mach 2 with surveyors & data dogs screaming slow down !!!!
    totally agree on steady 1.2 to 1.5kph to get good data etc and keep everyone happy ( especially vessel on unexpected stops!!!! )

cheers

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Remember, recording in HD format will take a lot of storage space.

DanFrov

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Remember, recording in HD format will take a lot of storage space.

DanFrov

No Problem with that Dan.

It has been mentioned but falls on another department !! TFFT!!! 😆

cheers

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I have worked with Panthers ever since they came out and most of it with Pipelione surveys.Opening up pods is not a problem nor putting back into TMS.
    If you have a good DP vessel and good excursion length ( Good distance Deployment away from Thrusters and good Nav’) Live boating is not a problem. TMS is recommended though.
    Cameras is not a problem ( Two on each Fibre ) , Nor CP , Nor Profilers (Unless you are talking 48 " and bigger) Nor Doppler even Sea Batt …………… But make sure it’s done professionally ……………. not Micky mouse ! 😯 A little thought into the matter and you will have No Problem 8) Choose experienced pilots and you will have no Downtime either 😀 But……………….. We all know ROV companies…………… Don’t do that 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Oh and more than 0.6 of a knot and it screws up your profile date plus Video fottage can be overlooked 🙂 Like oil or gas leaks perhaps 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar