Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Please HELP!!

Please HELP!!

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Please HELP!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mark1
    Participant

Please can someone HELP, i’m looking at becoming a ROV Pilot and have looked @ The Underwater Centre Fort Williams. 1 couse cost £4500 and the other is for £10000, i have NO training in anyfields of Electrical or any others. But now S**ting myself that this course will not help me into this type of work!! after reading some replies about them..i have taken a lone for £15000 to get into this work as a Pilot, but what will i need to get into it and will they help!! do they not have people that can mend the ROVs and a Pilot that just flys them..soeone please reply, mikeadams477@hotmail.com

shaner
    Participant

There are some jobs that need freelace pilots, but usually these jobs require documented pilot hours.
    I’ll contact you via your email for more details.

Preid
    Participant

Hey Mark

Yeah id panic too, i sat the course exactly a month ago and my work history is basicly 2 years deep sea fishing and 1 year of rigging/slinging onshore. I work alongside DVS’s and go aboard all the time to news with the ROV crews. My fathers a DPO, Uncles a Deck Forman, neighbours a ROV Super and ive still no job! Its only recently im in talks with a company about onshore ROV tech work.

I also took out a loan for £15k and you’ll need to sit the £12k course. 4 Weeks of electronics and 3 with the ROV. Its a good course, it lacks in certain area’s and imo should be 10 weeks to go into more detail with fibre’s and hydraulics. Since i left ive had to sit down and study my notes hard to get a few concepts learned and ive also enrolled in distance learning to get my HNC in electronics.

I rather like the idea of sorting the machine when it goes wrong. Im a hands on person though, i like to work.

If you want to talk about the course feel free to msn me;
    distortion@hotmail.co.uk

Ray Shields
    Participant

Mike,

Im sorry that you have laid out so much money in advance without actually finding out a bit more about what the job itself is.

No, you do not get people who just fly it and others who just fix it – you’re thinking of the RAF. You have to be capable of BOTH jobs, hence the title Pilot Technician.

I would suggest you look at doing some other courses through your local college, there are a range of short courses in electrics and hydraulics. You MAy be lucky and get a job and they will train you up on the technical side but the chances of this are very slim – though we have all met people who work offshore and who have no qualifications or skills.

Luckily we usually manage to fob them off onto some other poor unsuspecting Supervisor tho 😀 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

………………though we have all met people who work offshore and who have no qualifications or skills.

No need to bring me into it like that Ray 😉

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Mike,

………….. ……………. …………..

No, you do not get people who just fly it and others who just fix it – you’re thinking of the RAF. You have to be capable of BOTH jobs, hence the title Pilot Technician.

It’s amazing how many people in this industry have this mentality!!!! RAF… don’t forget the taxis to the aircraft – offshore, that would be akin to a newbie asking "where are the tools"? or " Oh! I thought you only wanted me to check one cable"? or some other idiotic statement…

…………………. ………………… ………….

Luckily we usually manage to fob them off onto some other poor unsuspecting Supervisor tho 😀 😀

Ah yes… but Ray, we (old grumpy supvs.) are all getting VERY wary of the young ones. As the OP on this thread didn’t do enough research…. hmmmm…boo hoo tuff luck bud! What are we ( old grumpy supvs.) supposed to think??? Eh??? Welcome to the school of hard knocks! Seems that not only offshore but onshore as well, the level of keeness / awarness has dropped off in the past 25 years. Schooling / education as well, it’s a "gimme" atmosphere where us (old grumpy supvs.) have to coddle the young ones. Myself? No effin’ way!!! You either show a little (read: lot) of self-initiation and confidence otherwise you’re gonna be a ROMF or NRB!!!! If you don’t / can’t / won’t work as I do / did…..

Andy Shiers
    Participant

That’s true Ray 😀
    They usually end up doing Trenching work 😆

fuall
    Participant

If you are determined you’ll get a job.I did my course in 2001 for $6k AUD and it took me 6mths with just some electrical/hydraulic courses to slightly back me up and 5 years as a Geo tech exp in outback W.Australa,but I never gave up.I did ROV for a few years,now I’m running SubSea Equipment.I’ve seen all sorts of clowns and had some crap-abusive feedback from some guys in this site but I never gave up.
    She’ll be right mate,go hard.If all else fails come down to Australia, we’ve shit loads of work.I’m off to go surfing,catch ya!

mark1
    Participant

Thankyou to thought that replyed with help; i have been looking into it for some time and did not just jump in the deep end!! the course i’m doing covers Electrical-Electronic-Fault diagnosis-Pilot engineering skills I and II. and have spent over 100 hours reading on the net about ROVs, my main problem is i have trouble spelling but never give up on anything I do. they always say as long as you give a 100% your be okay but I only give 200% and always willing to learn and listen? I’m also going to do a (BOSIET) (OPITO) (HUET) AND THE (EBS) Not sure if i need them all to get into the business, so anyone that can be of help thanks

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Good for you Mark 😀
    Keeping plugging 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar