Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Protecting divers from electrical shock

Protecting divers from electrical shock

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Protecting divers from electrical shock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Svein Joar Vareberg
    Participant

Interested to know what safeguards are normally used when divers are in the water with a HV ROV.

IMCA D045 specs a maximum 20ms trip delay for RCD/isometer, which is hard to guarantee, and also seems aimed at smaller equipment types/lower voltages.

liddelljohn
    Participant

As you state most diver support is done with smaller /medium ROVs , Mohicans , panthers , Tigers etc and usually no special precautions other than reasonable separation from diver is made ,,,

T-Boy
    Participant

We wrap the divers in black neoprene and make them wear really silly underwater shoes…seems to work ok 😆

Alan
    Participant

Good joke)
    Sea water is a good conductor, but what about fresh water operations?

piper
    Participant

Very mature of you T-Boy. You might think all people buy your idea of jokes but I know you have no clue what to say and the best thing for you is to pass a joke. The discussion is beyond your comprehension.

timebandit
    Participant

From my experience with work class HV systems , a LIM system offers no protection to personnel on deck due to the slow reaction time of the system and also the line capacitance of the system has a direct affect on the reaction time.
    So for a diver, best to keep well away unless you have found a system better than the Bender .

Svein Joar Vareberg
    Participant

Yes we use Bender and also Megacon LIMs, but they use the same principle, injecting DC.
    A full blown earth fault will trip them very fast but for Bender it can be up to 4s response time for a lesser fault (if I remember).

We also use isolating transformers tho (non-earthed neutral), and cut power supply at the first earth fault.

Very interesting to hear peoples experience in this area.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar