Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) RMT – Temporary Employement in Australia for RMT members

RMT – Temporary Employement in Australia for RMT members

Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) RMT – Temporary Employement in Australia for RMT members

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KeyserSoze
    Participant

Interestingly enough this was received recently from the RMT……

18th January 2011

Dear Colleagues,

TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT IN AUSTRALIA FOR RMT MEMBERS

Further to my letter of 1st November 2010 regarding the above, I write to update you on
    the current situation. We are still seeking CV’s from members and these should be
    fonvarded to Louise Marshall, Industrial Relations at l.marshall@rmt.org.uk
    We have had one meeting with the MUA and three of the employers so far and I am
    scheduled to meet with them again on 21st February 2011. We are currently trying to
    identify the exact numbers required for this work; there are a number of projects
    underway and quite a number of vessels – somewhere in the region of 40 vessels will be
    involved. At first, it is envisaged it will be slow to staft but should gain some momentum
    throughout the course of the year.
    The biggest problem we face at the moment is sorting out working visas and
    immigration status which is currently being discussed and addressed with the MUA, the
    employers and the Australian Government. As I am sure you can appreciate this is out
    of our hands and the strict immigration laws that apply in Australia are fairly rigid – if
    only we had the same here we might not have the problems we face with employment
    for our own seafarers!
    In the first instance, all unemployed seafarers will be given preference for consideration
    for positions in Australia. If you are in regular full time employment, my advice is to
    carefully consider your position as a lot of this work in Australia is temporary, albeit may
    well be long term temporary.
    The job opportunities exist mainly in the Offshore Supply, Anchor Handling, Diving
    Vessel and Dredging Sectors of the industry as well as some work on Accommodation
    Barges. The positions available will mainly be for AB’s, IR’s (GP/IDF), some
    MotormenlGreasers and possibly some Cooks and Stewards although there is not a
    great demand for the latter. Tours of duty (or swings as they are commonly known in
    Australia) will be approximately 6 weeks on 6 weeks off and flights to and from Australia
    will be paid by the employer. It will be your responsibility to hold a current valid medical
    certificate.
    The agreement covering RMT members will be the MUA Collective Bargaining
    Agreement which is negotiated between the MUA and the employers and you will be
    paid in accordance with that agreement. As soon as we have full details of what that entails
    I will advise you accordingly, however,
    it is more than double what you would
    receive on a Supply Vessel or Diving Vessel in the UK.
    You should note that as a consequence of any work you do in Australia you will be
    required to join the MUA (Maritime Union of Australia) as a fully paid up member for the
    duration of your employment. This is in addition to continuing your current and up to
    date membership with RMT.
    Please be assured that everything is being done to speed up this process and we are
    working very closely with the MUA and the Companies.
    I would be grateful if you could bring this letter to the attention of your members.

Yours Sincerely

Steve Todd

National Secretarv

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Shame………………………………….. I don’t see any mention for ROV 😕

T-Boy
    Participant

Shame………………………………….. I don’t see any mention for ROV

Likewise……gutted…….no mention of T-Boys either 😕

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Don’t get your hopes up! The RMT didn’t know what an ROV was when the ROV union push went on some time back. They still don’t know now either. It’s trains all the way, with a few cargo ships thrown in for good measure, other than that they have yet to prove to anyone that they have clue about organising anything offshore, especially in their own patch, i.e. the North Sea!

Full marks to the MUA and the Oz ROV boys for getting where they are at today on pay and conditions…. $100/barrel …. and who’s making the money?

KeyserSoze
    Participant

This wasn’t meant to be a big thumbs up for the RMT by the way. I jacked in quite some time ago when the fat controller didn’t want to know us and the OILC forum disappeared.

It does show however that some negotiations are taking place and the door is starting to open down under.

The thin end of the wedge maybe for when the work on the West coast Gorgon stuff really kicks off?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I’m happy that the Oz ROV folks can have the opportunity to get their just rewards. IMHO – I think that if you guys can get a "reasonable – upgraded" contract, that’s great! The Gorgon project is huge but please, please all folks interested in getting your foot in the door there, please check (and re-check ) the rules and regulations. They’re tough and strict.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar