Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV APTITUDE

ROV APTITUDE

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV APTITUDE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

Hey to whom ever can help.. I am retired from the Air Force and have been in the aviation business for over twenty five years. I have worked hyd’s, elec, and mechanical systems for all these many years. I have an opportunity to test for an ROV Pilot position in the near future, the tests are 50 quesitions each on Mechanical and Eletronics. Any advise or what kind of quesitions to be prepared for would be greatly appericated if I pass the tests I’ll be given an interveiw.

Thanks, Dano

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Dano,
    I was 24 years in the RAF and I sat an exam with a Very large ROV company and I got over 90%. So I wouldn’t think you would have any problems.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Dano

Hard to know what form the test will be, but I would imagine they will probably not expect you to know specific in-depth ROV technical info, although it would do no harm to read up on this. Look at manufacturers websites, spec sheets etc., as this would probably help in any interview, shows you have made an effort to find out a bit about ROVs (and find out a bit about the company, always goes down well).

There are a few ROV-specific books available, but tend to be expensive.
    (‘Competent ROV Pilot/Technician’ by Chris Bell is one of them).

It is probably more likely to be a test of your basic electronic / electrical / hydraulic knowledge. It’s actually quite possible to have trouble with basic stuff even if you have years of experience. Technical aptitude tests often ask some of your basics which we can have forgotten since training, especially if not using that knowledge all the time (e.g. if not been doing much component-level fault finding etc, or been in a more senior position away from the tools).

Read up on all your basics – e.g. Ohms law, basic calculations Amps/Volts/Watts, R/C/L etc, component symbols, power supplies, basic transistor circuits, op amps, logic gates, microprocessors, PC’s, video theory basics, cameras, electrical theory, single and 3 phase supplies, transformers, motors, switchgear, earthing/grounding, test equipment, electrical safety, fibre optics, telemetry RS485/232, hydraulic circuits and component symbols etc.

I’ve even had questions on things like cogs/gears/levers; (i.e. shown a drawing of a gear-train, what happens if you turn this cog clockwise? etc). Basic resistor circuit diagram, (what voltages would you expect at points indicated? etc), logic gate truth tables etc.

Better to do loads of preparation. Even if not asked questions on most of it, it does no harm to brush up on that rusty knowledge, and will give you the edge over someone who thinks they already know it and has not prepared.

Good luck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar