Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions ROV Manuals

ROV Manuals

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions ROV Manuals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Toon
    Participant

I’m finding it difficult (for obvious reasons) to get hold of electronic copies of the manuals of a variety of the more popular ROV’s that are used in the industry. I’m not refering to the spec sheets for individual ROV’s which are easy to come by, but the actual manuals or more technical documentation from basic inspection to the more serious work class ROV’s.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Even older documentation of ROV’s that are outdated will be interesting….

Cheers

Ray Shields
    Participant

Most manuals will be copyrited by the manufacturer and only supplied with the ROV. making it illegal for people to distribute copies about on the Internet.

Some, however, do make them available, such as Schilling:-

http://www.schilling.com/downloadstechmanuals1.php

Toon
    Participant

Yeah…. it’s actually a pity that more technical documentation is not publically available. It would be a good way of familiarizing oneself with different ROV’s without actually having the physical hands on experience. One would only get that after a good couple of years of experience in the industry…

Anyway…. thanks

ROVRatt
    Participant

Hi Toon

Unfortunately the manuals for ROV’s are usually company confidential and your employment contract will have a confidentiality clause in it making it a breach of contract to supply this info to anyone outside the company.

I have the manuals, drawings and circuit diagrams for many types of ROV’s on my laptop that I take offshore but there is no way I am going to lose my employment by supplying an outsider with company confidential information.

Toon
    Participant

I did’nt realize it was such a big issue… one would think the manufacturers would want ROV crew to be familiar with their systems….kind of does not make sence… but hey…. who am I to disagree with them..!

Anyway, thanks for that info…. guess I’ll look forward to building my own collection

Cheers

Toon
    Participant

As a matter of interest…. is that comming from the Oil & Gas Companies or the Manufacturers?

I can understand the confidentiality of things working for a company… but surely the manufactures would not care to give out more detailed technical info on their products.

I’d really like to know more about the actual workings of some of the ROV’s out there that I might come in contact with…. weird

Anyway…. thanx

Ray Shields
    Participant

It is copyright of the manufacturers. I suppose they only wish to supply the documentation to those who buy their equipment.

Toon
    Participant

Ja….

I’ve contacted a few of the manufacturers to see if I can get more detailed info on their systems (not necessarily manuals) so we’ll see what their response is….

I’ll let you know what their response is as a matter of interest…

Thanks Ray

crusty
    Participant

Toon,

I have amassed a lot of technical manuals of various "popular" ROV’s over the years… All held on my Laptop. I’m fortunate enough not to be too concerned by the Confidentiality issues etc. mentioned before (the very fact that I have taken copies of these manuals in the first place, along with most of the ROV industry, is proof of this… as i am sure the writers of the comments above will agree and appreciate that if they were concerned by these issues they wouldn’t have copies on their own laptops).

The theory that generally the industry takes into account the confidentiality of for example a Triton XLS vehicle manual is ludicrous!!! There is nothing in these manuals that is "confidential".

Although I can appreciate the point that ROV world doesn’t want to be used as a manual sharing forum…. Come on lets face it… Anybody anywhere in the world can get a hold of these "confidential" manuals if they really want to…!!

Toon
    Participant

Very well put Crusty…. I think your last point was the clincher…. It just did’nt make sence…

Question now is…. are you going to be able to help me…? I’ll PM you if you don’t mind to discuss further…

Cheers

Toon

ROVRatt
    Participant

Crusty wrote:

I have amassed a lot of technical manuals of various "popular" ROV’s over the years… All held on my Laptop. I’m fortunate enough not to be too concerned by the Confidentiality issues etc. mentioned before (the very fact that I have taken copies of these manuals in the first place, along with most of the ROV industry, is proof of this… as i am sure the writers of the comments above will agree and appreciate that if they were concerned by these issues they wouldn’t have copies on their own laptops).

I was given these manuals, drawings and circuit diagrams by my employer for use in the field after passing the relevant training courses relevant to the info they gave me. Few ROV guys don’t own a laptop and my employer recognises this. I also signed a confidentiality clause with my employer.

I agree with both sides of the thread.
    However the said manuals the eveyone picks up are from working offshore for specific companies and every manual is generated by the ROV designer and is specific to that ROV(and company).
    So whereas it is easy to get manuals for any system I can see the point of manuals not getting thrown around rovworld.
    I guess If you don’t have any info I suspect you are not in the industry yet and would like info to get your head around?maybe wrong!
    Good luck!

Toon
    Participant

That’s 100% correct…. I’m simply trying to learn more about the workings of ROV’s that I might come across in the field as I have no hands on experience in the industry at the moment….

As a matter of interest, SAAB has got back to me and they are going to put me in contact with their distributors here in SA to go on a course. Apparently, the only way to get a manual from them is if I buy one of their systems or if I do a course with them… both routes are pretty expensive… so guess I’m just going to hope to get a foot in the door sometime soon so that I can mar get some hands on experience…. and the odd E-manual here and there…

Cheers

crusty
    Participant

Toon,

PM me with your e-mail… I’ll send you some info. Sounds to me like your a guy that’s trying to get ahead of the game before you start, only to be met with closed doors by a few insecure people. Technical Info is being passed around this industry quicker than these insecure P/T’s are losing their jobs…

A good Tech will accumulate any and all info that he can get his hands on which is or maybe relevant to the job he does. A lot of Tech’s don’t have the chance to do course’s etc previously mentioned so it’s invaluable that 99% of the industry passes around this info (which it does and continue’s to do so)….!!

The claims of confidentiality and the industry adhering to it is complete rubbish!!! So much so that I can’t believe I am having this conversation… 😕

Mark DuPriest
    Participant

Ray Shields & All, Avira Anti-Virus reports that link is infected:

"Warning

In order not to compromise your security, this page will not be accessed

A virus or unwanted program has been detected
    in the HTTP data on the requested page.
    Requested URL: http://www.schilling.com/downloadstechmanuals1.php
    Information Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen HTML script virus"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar