Home Forums General General Board ROV pilot/Tech as a career

ROV pilot/Tech as a career

Home Forums General General Board ROV pilot/Tech as a career

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    intrested
    Participant

Currently working in aviation as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and simply put I am bored and always enjoyed Marine and everything to do with it. The University here has a 9 month program to introduce people into this field of work (ROV Pilot/Tech) and I am just wondering what is it like to get a job? Is there lots of work out there and what could one expect to earn as a trainee. I do not expect the salary to be a lot just wondering if it is enough to live on…

Thanks

Craig Conrad
    Participant

Hey Interested, I accually worked with a couple of gents from the aircraft industry who switched to thr ROV industry. Not sure if your going to need the ROV course your talking about. You need a good background in electronics and or hydraulics or both for that matter and Im assumeing you do . If and when you get hired on as a jr tech most companies (good ones) are going to give you the training you will need and you will have wasted your money on the ROV course. But if you feel your experience in hydraulics and electronics is not up to snuff go take a course in one of those, at the very least if you don’t like the ROV thing you have a peice of paper that will get you a job on the beach and if you already have one of those disciplines then all the better. As far as pay you can expect to start making about 45 to 50 000 a year, atleast thats where I started as a Jr Tech with no ROV experience and as far as work, they cant build systems fast enough for the demand and I suspect it will be like this for a while.

intrested
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I use my hyd. and electrical knowledge all the time within my current job. I feel from doing some researh that it would be a good career change for me, because I enjoy troubleshooting and like repairing. So again thanks for the info.

Colin

Anonymous

A great move, and a good time to come in to the industry,
    I have worked with many ex raf guys and they have all been ok,
    just remember and watch out for the backstabbers

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

A great move, and a good time to come in to the industry,
    I have worked with many ex raf guys and they have all been ok,
    just remember and watch out for the backstabbers

Sooo, what your saying is backstabbers are ok…….

liddelljohn
    Participant

yeah there are backstabbers out there i have just experienced it first hand,
    I saw it coming when a guy I had never met before started the conversation with I dont like you . he was a supervisor and had never met me before . I still dont know what his problem is but he is making a lot of problems for me. He has lost my timesheets deliberately twice, told lies about me to senoior managment to cover up his own mistakes , other supervisors and techs have warned me that he is doing this stuff but we dont know why.

i have tried to have it out with him face to face , but he creeps away every time ,

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Liddle,

If you feel that this guy deserves to be mentioned to the upper management, then do it. Get some others to back you up and make a formal complaint. Sounds like a a 10 Year Wonder Prat to me…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar