Home Forums ROV ROV Personnel Available For Work ROV pilot tech Trainee seeking first job

ROV pilot tech Trainee seeking first job

Home Forums ROV ROV Personnel Available For Work ROV pilot tech Trainee seeking first job

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kypros Drousiotis
    Participant

ROV P/T Trainee,trained at The Underwater Centre Fort William Scotland.All IMCA certificates,BOSIET and IMIST certificates ready and in hand.Saab Seaeye,Falcons more than 40 operational hours experience.Any recent job info would be more than appreciated.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Firstly, you do not have IMCA certificates, as IMCA do not certify or authorise anyone else to certyify on their behalf.

What technical qualifications and experience do you have? The training course on its own is not enough for you to get a job, you must come from a technical background. There are hundreds if not thousands of people out there trying to get a start, you have to start searching and making contact with ROV companies to have a remote chance. Read through the Rookies section on herte as many Newbie questions have already been asked and answered.

Also, the 40 hours of actual flying how did you manage that , you would need to do 4 hours solid flying every day of the course. As far as experience goes, it does not count for much.

Colin Gaskin
    Participant

Warm welcome to the forum,

Try not to be disheartend by being called out on your post mate. Just remember before you post there may be some serious scrutiny of experience by the old and bold. If you can back it up that may pacify the pack if not then it’s a fair point by Ray.

Dog eat dog at the moment and a lot of service leavers like myself out there looking for a start also who are willing to take those jobs that may bring the day rates down to double what we are use to in the mob.

Best of luck….try subsea 7 think they will have an intake soon for trainees.

openside
    Participant

40 operational hours, ?????????? 🙄 🙄 🙄

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Hello rovpilotkypros

Good honest post and your first step. You stated the hours that you have flown and since it is 40 you must have done the 3 week course. You also put in your first post "trainee" !

That in itself speaks volumes, however like others have mentioned you have to take what you get from the forum at times as a "tongue and cheek" attitude and some naysayers. However, good luck all the best and keep a positive attitude. You should do well.

On the other side of the coin Ray has a solid point and you need to have some technical background to rely upon. So many times many of us have had trainees (Pilot Tech II) on a site but had no clue as to spanners, names of tools or even the bare basics…….friend of a friend, son….cousin…..who knows…but it takes the team one man down and puts more pressure on the guys to "babysit" without saying so.

Good luck and be safe!

Jens Harris
    Participant

ROV P/T Trainee,trained at The Underwater Centre Fort William Scotland.All IMCA certificates,BOSIET and IMIST certificates ready and in hand.Saab Seaeye,Falcons more than 40 operational hours experience.Any recent job info would be more than appreciated.

Having just completed the 3 week course at The Underwater Centre I can confirm you DO NOT get any IMCA Certs, you do however get SQA in Intro to ROV, electrical installation in adverse conditions and Engineering systems. Can pretty much guarantee my previous experience is far more impressive than these three qualifications.
    You may have been stood around the shack for 40 hours but you certainly didn’t fly the damn thing for that long. In fact, I would hazard a guess that you barely passed 10…if that.

I’m only just starting out myself but am becoming, already, increasingly annoyed with blaggers that think they can go on these courses and just walk into a job. This course, and others, do not make you a trainee…you have had an expensive introduction. For me it is a step in the right direction and have actually managed to get myself a telephone interview…of which I am pretty proud.

Now do the leg work Kypros, instead of posting BS on a forum with the hope of getting handed job information.

piper
    Participant

Best thing is to start knocking on doors for all these big ROV companies, you just might be lucky to get out there sooner than you anticipated. As for all the BS from this forum……..with time the wounds heal and the scars peel.

Baz worgan
    Participant

I also did the 3 week course at TUC and I have no background in electronics or any mechanical background, however i got a job within a month. So saying you HAVE to have this background is BS. I agree it helps massively, but its not the be all and end all. If you come across as the right person, you may get a start.

The OP never once said he had 40 hours flying, he said operational time, which means he was either flying/co-pilot/ working the tether etc etc.

This forum is so negative towards new starters, remember you were all in his position once !!

Good luck

Roy Simson
    Participant

This forum is so negative towards new starters, remember you were all in his position once !!

This Forum tells the truth , This guy is not alone tell all the others Trainees who paid anything up to over £10k and there still looking for work .

As myself and the other senior members of this forum we keep telling you guys there are thousands of you guys out there all after a hand full of jobs yes some of you might get lucky , But what about the other 2000 or 3000 still looking .

One think is for sure the training schools will still keep taking the money .

Cheers

Raptor

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This thread was first started in Feb 2013. It has had over 3000 views! That’s pretty indicative of how many people are out there looking at ROV as a source of income. I guess a lot of this has stemmed from the downturn of work onshore. It’s never going to be easy for any trainee to get a start, but these days I suspect it will be even more difficult than it was say five years back.

If people think paying out for an ROV course is an easy ( I didn’t say cheap) route to an instantly well paid career (compared to onshore) they are in for a shock.

Thomas
    Participant

The experience guys are right technical experience is a vital point. Am still in offshore but was called for interview while don’t have any ROV training but with strong MECHANICAL hydraulic and pneumatic background and 12 years offshore experience as mechanic.
    However the way some of the guys framed their contributions at times are not healthy.We have to remember that lucky also counts sometimes.
    There are two types of people going for the course people with some technical background and others are not, if generals it that going for the course is not going to get you the job, i personal think there is some reservation to that.
    There are equal good training school that are doing well example Memorial University of Newfoundland Canada and Abyss subsea in Norway.
    It is good to advice but how we frame it is the problem.

JB2
    Participant

As a rule as a ROV Supv and I find out that a trainee has come offshore with no other electrical/mechanical/hydraulic qualifications other than a ROV course I enquire at the base at management level to uncover the reason.
    If I find out that said trainee has jumped the queue (Not got Lucky) over a qualified new start in waiting by free job no money as an example I go ballistic at the office then make a point of not re-hiring person until he/she has gone away for 2 years to get HNC/Diploma etc to go along with his £10,000 ROV course.
    Its not his fault I here you say but when the team has to carry a person who is not skilled in a discipline then it puts more pressure/hours on the rest creating a bad atmosphere for the guy in question again not his fault unless HE realises HE should NOT have started out that way in the first place.

I. Dryakhlov
    Participant

Good Day Everybody

Two month ago I get courses ROV P/T Trainee Grade 2,trained at SUBNET. All certificates,BOSIET, HUET, UKAOO medicals, High Voltage certificates. More than 47 operational hours flying experience.
    Before I worked an Electrical Technical Officer more than 5 years in offshore. I have additional Master degree in Mechanical Engineering and still looking any position for ROV trainee )))

many thanks for advices

best regards

Ilya

Ray Shields
    Participant

Well good luck Ilya. You join thousands of many others.

The training supplied by Subnet is not particularly well thought of and the "operational" hours done at the school equally doesn’t really count for much.

I would suggest increasing your knowledge in hydraulics and fibre optics to assist your CV and make yourself even more employable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar