Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Pilot Training Courses?

ROV Pilot Training Courses?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Pilot Training Courses?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

I’m probably repeating this subject so apologies from me. I’ve been pondering for ages now whether to get some money together and blow it on a complete ROV course – i just can’t make a desicion! I imagine this is from passed experiences paying for courses believing something concrete will develope out of it which does’nt.
    I have more than 20 years in industry installing/fixing all sorts of machinery (big mechanical/fine electronics) and to work offshore/ROV with this 2wk on/off system really appeals to me every time more.Could somebody put me in the right direction? What would be my odds of getting employed full time in the ROV industry? Regards,

subman
    Participant

You are wasting your money if you do a rov course as there are hundreds if not thousands of people looking for rov work .
    Some of these guy have 10 – 15 years in the game and they cant find work so someone just coming out of school has got very little chance .

So what ever job your doing now stay with it things may change in a few years but not at the moment .
    Just read items on this forum and your see many guys asking the same questions .

Cheers

Subman

rovnumpty
    Participant

Anchovy

As subman stated, not a good time to make a decision like that.

There’s quite a few ROV bods who give a kidney to have a reasonable job onshore right now.

It should pick up next year, assuming the banks start lending money again.

Additionally, if your getting into the industry for the time off, I’d maybe consider something else. I’d be very surprised if you got an ROV posting that does two on two off. You don’t say where your based, but even the majority of rigwork is on a 3 and 3 basis. And that can all change overnight as some nonce in the office decideds to send you to Nigeria for a six weeker as they ‘have no one else’. If it is the time off you want, I’d look at getting a maintenace position on a rig or platform. That’s guarenteed 2 and 2, or even 2 on, 3 off!

Savante
    Participant

what’s the cost of the training course these days?

Jason South
    Participant

One question you have not had an answer to is whether to do a course or not as you are already mechanical and have experience in electronics. To be honest, if you are already skilled and manage to land a job, you would be able to enter this industry and work in it no problem. Contrary to what a lot of members here think, the ROV game is basic, non complicated and easy to learn on the job. It can also be extremely boring! The only difficult piece of learning is when a supervisor wont give you any stick time for various reasons (usually so they dont do themselves out of a job)

I was VERY lucky enough to land a job on much the same skillbase as you. I am extremely happy I didnt shell out the 10k for a course which is just an overview of the industry. One good thing which may arise is due to a lower demand the courses may become a realistic price for newcomers.

Unfortunately, most employers require a completed course before taking on trainees so that also is food for thought.

Also, the other answers you have are well on the nail, the industry is very slow currently so finding work whether you have done a course or not is not going to be easy.

Good luck and stay positive!! Things are going to improve but probably not this year!

Chris
    Participant

Thanks for the great advice!- Submen, Rovnumpty and Jsouth.
    Cheers & all the best,
    Anchovy

Ray Shields
    Participant

Unfortunately, most employers require a completed course before taking on trainees so that also is food for thought.

I do not believe this is the case, this is what people THINK and what the training companies tell people they are trying to sell their courses to.

What you need is a good techincal background and experience. Most companies train people on their specific equipment and operations themselves.

I will repeat a favourite quote of mine from an Ops Manager "I want to take on Engineers and teach them about ROVs; I do not want to take people on and teach them to be Engineers"

James McLauchlan
    Participant

…..Unfortunately, most employers require a completed course before taking on trainees so that also is food for thought.

I do not believe this is the case, this is what people THINK and what the training companies tell people they are trying to sell their courses to. …..

I agree with Ray.

Anthony
    Participant

Also with Ray !

Its very misleading for them to come out with these things , For me its a who you know industry i guess like most offshore roles , Ps. 2 on 2 off , I wish 🙄

ROV from the outside looks all exciting and the "Dream" its a myth keep your money in your pocket buy an ROV book off e bay 😛

Ps Great Quote Ray !

Mux

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar