Home Forums General General Board ROV survey of a dam

ROV survey of a dam

Home Forums General General Board ROV survey of a dam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

Please refer to the AC-ROV manufacturers website: http://www.ac-cess.co.uk/

Look under options on the first page where it clearly says:

Options Suitable for Retro-fit

• USBL Positioning & Tracking

No need James, I spent a year building the things, I know them inside out! I do believe that the little Ac-Rov is at the top end of the micro-rov market but it does suffer from a lack of development and there is quite simply no room left to fit any extra internal sensors.

Yes, it is a tough nippy little unit. I normally only ever expected to be able to stand on work class ROV’s, so standing on the AC-ROV in front of prospective customers raises a few eyebrows for sure!

Of late there has been further development, a more sensitive depth sensor (now a standard item) and the positioning/tracking option is now available along with WT & Laser scaling. All have come on-line relatively recently.

As you are no doubt aware running with more than one of these optional sensor options at a time is not always possible, as is the case with many Micro ROV’s due to their limited size.
    Mind you the sensor manufacturers are appear to coming to the table on scaling down to try and fit their products into the micro ROV market and thus make some more sales into an area that they considered small beer before.

In the case of the dam survey, mentioned at the start of this thread, it has the capability for sure but (should bigger and better things be needed for future operations) it will always be a Micro-ROV along with the advantages and limitations it’s small size imposes.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

So there is a sonar on it ?

No…. but there is no sonar on a standard Falcon either. It’s an optional extra.

I think the difference is that on a Falcon you have multiple options for a sonar. For an AC ROV, a sonar isn’t even an option. Out of curiosity, what USBL system does it use?

Chief

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

As you are no doubt aware running with more than one of these optional sensor options at a time is not always possible, as is the case with many Micro ROV’s due to their limited size.

In the case of the dam survey, mentioned at the start of this thread, it has the capability for sure but (should bigger and better things be needed for future operations) it will always be a Micro-ROV along with the advantages and limitations it’s small size imposes.

I’m not sure which micro/inspection class ROV’s your referring to, but I can run the following gear all at the same time with no problems:

Sonar-either BlueView or Tri-tech
    Posisitioning-KCF Smart Tether, Desert Star or Tri-tech
    Laser Scaler- Tri-tech
    Manipulator

So it’s rather obvious that different manufacturers of ROV’s have done some pretty good integration.

As far as the damn inspection goes, it really depends on the conditions. Giving a blanket statement that has the capability with out knowing the conditions really comes off as a sales pitch 🙁

Chief

James McLauchlan
    Participant

As far as the damn inspection goes, it really depends on the conditions. Giving a blanket statement that has the capability with out knowing the conditions really comes off as a sales pitch 🙁
    Chief

blanket statement?.
    The AC-ROV has been used for dam inspections in the past and it will be used again. I therefore view it as having the capability to carry out a dam survey. With Video output? Yes. With positioning? Yes. With sonar? No. Not really a blanket… more like a thin sheet.

That’s enough on AC-ROV sales pitch for me today.
    I’ll leave it at that for now and let the OP decide on the best way forward depending on work site conditions, their requirements and budget. Nice to have had the opportunity to highlight the AC-ROV though 😉

Thinking about it, a Seabotix LBV150 would probably be a suitable unit for this kind of thing also. It’s not had much of a mention yet.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Thinking about it, a Seabotix LBV150 would probably be a suitable unit for this kind of thing also. It’s not had much of a mention yet.

Theres probably a good reason why it hasn’t had much of a mention yet… 😀

What I think would be good for the prospective buyer though is to see/copmare all he is considering side by side. Since AC-ROV, Seabotix and VideoRay are all going to be in Southampton in a few weeks, it might be worth it for him to come see all three in action.

Chief

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Theres probably a good reason why it hasn’t had much of a mention yet… 😀

What I think would be good for the prospective buyer though is to see/copmare all he is considering side by side. Since AC-ROV, Seabotix and VideoRay are all going to be in Southampton in a few weeks, it might be worth it for him to come see all three in action.

Chief

See you there?

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

James,
    As much as I’d like to be there, I’m not going to be able to make it do to another commitment… and not that I’m knocking Southampton, but the climate of where I’m going to be is considerably sunnier and warmer 😀

Chief

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James,
    ……………… and not that I’m knocking Southampton, but the climate of where I’m going to be is considerably sunnier and warmer 😀

Chief

Hi Chief

mmm…. an issue I also have when needing to head North!

Hopefully the OP, who seems to have been somewhat quiet since posting, will have food for thought as a result of this thread.

best regards
    James Mc

captpaul
    Participant

@Chief – I’ve been following this thread (we were shopping for a micro ROV like the OP) and noticed you seem to have a negative opinion of the SeaBotix micro ROV’s. Would you mind sharing your reasons for that opinion? I’ve spent a bit of time looking at their ROV’s and the general feedback I’ve gotten from a few local inspection companies here (central Atlantic coast) was positive enough, but what do you find to be so inferior? I’d also be interested in hearing opinions on the Outland Tech 1000?

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

CaptPaul,
    I’ve sent you a Private message on your requested information.

Chief

Thomas
    Participant

I think that the AC-ROV will work with an SBL system, too. Actually, I know it will so integration on that aspect can easily be solved.

A simple solution to that would be to attach a micro-transponder to the umbilical directly behind the ROV. You may have to add a small amount of float depending on the tether properties.

Then you know how far away from the camera the transponder is thus resolving that error factor.

Tada’

This approach, although not completely fool proof is a sure-fire way to get your feet wet. I also think it is possible to integrate an SBL system into the AC-ROV; just got to get in touch with that Collin fellow over there.

In the other argument of which ROV is best suited for the job. In all reality, you can probably use any ROV to do a wide variety of jobs. However, it also depends heavily on the budget of the customer? If they can’t afford an "expensive" ROV designed specifically for the job they are doing, I bet they’ll get a less expensive ROV to do the same job…maybe not as efficiently. You can do underwater positioning with tape measures, and it’s certainly less then even the "cheapest" sbl system.

Keith Richardson
    Participant

Chief,

I am also interested in the Seabotix LBV150 and would like to hear your opinions.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Keith,
    I’ve sent an email to the address "info" address attn you.

Chief

Bill Bulloch
    Participant

I think a that a lot of people would be interested to hear someones opinions and experiences on a particular ROV system. At least that way the systems critisism or praise can be ‘discussed’ openly.
    It is a ‘ROV forum’ after all?
    Opinions and counter opinions can be quite educational!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

From my experience on dam inspection , lack of viz was always a problem ,
    Trying to locate something underwater when the viz is perhaps only 6 inches means too much time getting to the job plus waiting for the viz to clear up !
    A vehicle that has in board depth and compass ( On the screen overlay ) makes a BIG difference than the Divers Compass and depth gauge stuck on the skid !
    Any disturbance from the thrusters and it can be a pain in the ass 😯 .
    Positive tether when going along horizontal pipes . I have tried using a negative tether ( EX 225 ) with floats but it still creates too many catching points and drag.
    Also you would be surprised how much muscle build up you get when lowering down the ROV two hundred feet in air due to no access point to the water plus the wear and tear pulling the said vehicle up and down the concrete wall 😕 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar