Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training rov trainee

rov trainee

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training rov trainee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john storer
    Participant

Hi All
    been in the game some yeas now, and after hearing of my exploits my son fancies giving it a go. He is 19, and was until recently an apprentice plumber. Hes no mug, good with his hands and a quick learner.
    I understand he is young and needs expereience, so with in mind contacted one of the firms running rov courses to try and get him on a course in the not too distant future
    Ove rthe past few years I have had several trainees who have come through these courses, quite a few of them have had zero hands on experienc eof any kind, even to the point of not knowing how to use basic hand tools, ie spanners and power drill etc, (im not joking here!). Imagine my surprise when the training firm, told me that my son did not have the relevant experience ot even ge ton the course, according to IMCA standards etc. He could knock spots off a lot of the trainees ive had recently, not just because im biased either!
    I dont normally use this site, but was sotaken aback by all the above decided to seek advice or help if available on here??
    get back to me anyone
    John

chriso
    Participant

Hey mate I am down here in OZ and its the same story, I am no dummy and have heaps of jobs doing a variety of things, but all the same, Im not this or that, bla bla, I am not giving up though, this website is not the best for inspiration either I have read alot of if your not a particularly trained person then go find something else to do. But at least he has you as in insider, I am trying to find someone who will let me prove my worth, I have a very small chance of getting on the course down here, but I am not giving up. Interesting about the lack of skills you were presented with in the past. I wish your son the best if luck.

Chris C
    Just another dummy LOL

john storer
    Participant

Hi Chris
    please see my reply to this subject in the general section, have been speaking to some of my contacts in the major firms in uk, they all saaying theyd rather see guys spending their money on some more relevant technical courses, than got through the rov training school type ones – cos they crap basically, taking guys money and filling their heads full of nonsense. Anyway good luck keep at it, may see you offshore sometime
    JS

ROVinNZ
    Participant

Hi, your sons situation is very common. I have had a few guys ask my opinion on attending ROV schools with the obvious intent of gaining employment. From what I can gather all the training schools have been warned about taking in people who do not meet the level set out in the IMCA guidelines. From what I can remember the individual should have a recognised qualification in electronics or engineering. This for me is mainly good but has a bad element too, firstly it might prevent training providers training guys who have no chance of being employed but it may put those who do have genuine ability off. We all know someone in this game who was previously a brickie , fisherman, policeman etc that is good and sometimes better than the tradesman. My advice would be to spend the money and time on a technical qualification and or find a company that will give him a base job working on refurbishments and maintenance. The time working in base is possibly one of the best ways for someone to get a good understanding of how the whole thing works and at component level. Anyway I think a good crew needs a mix of boffins, grafters and plodders they just need a chance at the start.

Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar