Safety Flashes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Don’t want it to seem I am hijacking what is obviously an important thread but has there been a safety flash of any sort after this incident? If there is can someone PM it to me.

Its only a suggestion but would it be worth adding a wall aswell as a forum for the posting of safety flashes, I note there is a safety forum with very little on it.

If I have missed something let me know as all joking aside, getting home at the end of the trip in one piece has got to be the most important issue to me.

This happened years ago – about 2002 I think. And yes there was a safety flash at the time.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Its only a suggestion but would it be worth adding a wall aswell as a forum for the posting of safety flashes, I note there is a safety forum with very little on it.

Good idea about safety flashes. We will run with the safety board/forum only unless there is a pressing need to do otherwise.

If you wish to contribute and add safety flashes, then go for it. It would be of benefit to the community I’m sure. :tup:

As you hint at earlier this is a little off topic of this thread therefore, if you wish to discuss this further, please add a thread in the safety section.

In fact to save the hassle I will split this topic off now…..

best regards
    James Mc

ronjon
    Participant

Don’t want it to seem I am hijacking what is obviously an important thread but has there been a safety flash of any sort after this incident? If there is can someone PM it to me.

If I have missed something let me know as all joking aside, getting home at the end of the trip in one piece has got to be the most important issue to me.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Should be good to publish the list of IMCA safety flashes here on ROVworld.
    It would even be more handy when IMCA publishes that list through RSS than we can have an automatically updated list instead of maintaining it manually.

2008 Seems to be a safe year, only 1 safety flash so far… 😕

deepseacon
    Participant

Safe year well maybe you never worked on the Saipem 7000

4 Killed and 4 Seriously injured September 2008

While this accident had nothing to do with the ROV’s it still happened within yards of the LARS.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

You’re right, I forgot about that Medgaz accident in September.

Normally it takes a few months before things like this appear in the safety flashes. First all research involved with these accidents have to be finished. The accident described in the SF from January ’08 happened at the beginning of September 2007.

There have been some evacuations of platforms in the North Sea this year but I don’t think that will result in safety flashes.

Ewan McKen
    Participant

Saipem issued a Safety Bulletin based on the S7000 J-Lay Accident last month.

Savante
    Participant

I think the owners of the geosund published their safety report online too. All terribly sad.

IMCA safety flash 07/08 for the geosund:-((
    Not a good one for sure……….

Ewan McKen
    Participant

New IMCA Flash, with content relevant to ROV, today.

Ewan McKen
    Participant

Please do not climb inside your winch drum, spray contact cleaner, and try to dry it with a heat gun.

http://www.imca-int.com/documents/core/sel/safetyflash/2009/IMCASF04-09.pdf

Regards,
    I5

Anonymous

Good idea though too put this old piece of s… on fire, wondering how much hair he lost.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

The pilot technician was not fully aware of the flammable nature of aerosol contact cleaner.

Must be an idiot thinking that contact cleaner isn’t flammable.
    Per definition the content of an aerosol is always flammable unless the labels say anything else.

A good manufacturer mounts the rotating jb on the outside so there’s no need to enter the winch drum.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It’s all about training and experience, plus common dog!

We will see a lot more of this to come for sure.

digitellus
    Participant

He was a pilot tech according to teh report so you can almost excuse him as not knowing better i thnk? No..no you cant. However what I cant figure out is there was no supervision , nobody knew he was in there and working on his own inside a drum…wtf? The entire crew need to be sacked unless the tech took it on his own to do it off his own back? But surely somebody must have known he was doing the work? Assuming the sign was up and the isolation done?
    I cannot live with loose techs who like to impress with suprises of undiscussed work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar