Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Same company, different nationalities, different rates

Same company, different nationalities, different rates

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Same company, different nationalities, different rates

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Hilux
    Participant

I am frustrated by the fact that the company I work for sees it fit to pay guys from different nationalities different rates. As a South African Pilot/Tech I earn less than a UK trainee, while we’re with the same company.

Is this general practice? Is this acceptable?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Yes it happens….. When I was in Asia a UK agency PT came out and it later transpired that not only was he useless but he was on more than our supervisors at the time! Needles to say he didn’t last.

More often than not those companies guilty of such practices rely on people not naming and shaming (in fear of their jobs) so that they may continue to do so.

Which company might that be?

Unless this is discussed openly the practice will continue unabated.

By being able to use some anonymity people posting on this website have made a (small) contribution over over the years to help bring these problems out into the open. I’m not saying that this solves the issue, but the more it becomes public knowledge the better it has to be for guys at the sharp end.

Hilux
    Participant

Well, I’m not even talking about contractors coming onboard, being payed way more than the company’s own staff, and as you say often being unable to perform the job.

The reasons I was given for this difference in pay is exchange rates and the fact that our flights ae paid for. But that is crap, because first of all our money value is way less, so the exchange rate means nothing. And as for flights, the UK guys, when called to say Brazil, is also paid for. In any case, if I had to pay for my flights, I’d have nothing left of my salary.

I can’t even afford decent medical and pension contributions, because I get taxed on UK rates, but paid less for being from SA.

And what also happens is UK collegues being of the opinion that we take their jobs, because the company opt to employ ‘cheap labour’.

I know in these times one should be thankful for a job, but this is wrong.

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Hello Hilux,

I’ve had this issue since I started in the ROV industry (as a South African) – and it still pisses me off ❗ ❗ You go off-shore to do the job – if you are capable, you get paid for it – that’s how simple it should be. You get paid to do the job.

O.k. if the company decides to pay you based on your country of residence, fair enough, but then follow through with this approach. Well they did not – folk that had initially been employed in Scotland and had moved to Cape Town (South Africa) were STILL receiving a Scottish based salary and hell, they were living like kings ❗ 👿 ❗ (That pissed me off mega)

If your salary is based on your country of residence (which, btw I don’t agree with!) then apply this to all the hands; for all and sundry, right across the board ❗

This is rant I have wanted to post for a long time already… 👿 👿

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Depending on where the company is based, the practice of paying someone from a different country a lower or higher rate than someone from another company would be illegal. I know this applies to any US company (regarless of where the work is done). It’s is illegal to discriminate based on race, religion, creed, national origin, or sex. Basically, if you have two people doing the same job, they get the same pay. Some irregularities are allowed like salaried employee vs. contractor, but if your both employee’s, have the same job description, experience etc… you stand a good chance of getting some more money out of the company.

The tough part is proving it.

Chief

JL Schnabel
    Participant

In fact, I will add more thing, that just came to mind :

We (all South Africans of course) started off as a class of 11 trainees, for one week of theory, on a Monday – on Tuesday, four of them had quit, because they simply refused to go offshore for literally u$100 / day (half rate for travel and stand-by in those days still)

Here’s another approach for attempting to standardize the salaries world-wide : we should simply not accept working for these Mickey-Mouse day-rates like James mentioned in another thread – ie. GBP48 / day ❗
    If more us refused to work for peanuts (and of course if we are financially in such a position to call this type of shot) this would hopefully result in everyone getting a more fair deal.

Hilux
    Participant

Well guys, proving your worth is the simple part. This company has got this competancy scheme, where you need to complete a set amount of jobs and get enough pilot hours. This is fair enough, but not if they use it as a tool to hold you back, or to save money. I agree with you all, after completing this competancy packs, everyone should earn the same.

Damn, I mean working offshore is a sacrifice and it should be worth it. I can earn the same in Cape Town going back to my trade as Mechanician.

169 Euros a day as Pilot/Tech(day rate). Is it worth it?

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Hilux, on top of your dayrate, are you also receiving a so called monthly retainer ❓

Hilux
    Participant

No. what company are you with David?

piper
    Participant

Welcome to the world I have known for over 5 yrs now. Its suprising that its only coming out now. I have ranted and raged over it on this forum before. When I joined it seemed a perfectly good thing to ignore till I began meeting them British trainee boys. They dont give a rats’…. because they get the money. If you want to be even shocked a RSA friend of mine just told me he hasnt worked at all for the last few months and he is supposed to be on a normal rota.

JL Schnabel
    Participant

O.k. I’ll answer your question : I used to be with Oceaneering – you received your off-shore rate (which is door-to-door) plus a fixed monthly retainer.

One more question for you Hilux : do you also received a daily West Africa bonus?
    (Oceaneering used to pay U$45,-)

JL Schnabel
    Participant

Piper, is your mate permanent staff with OI ?

Hilux
    Participant

David, no, I do not get any retainer nor any other allowances.

I have not worked in Africa yet, only North Sea and Brazil. Just got my UK visas last week.

Hilux
    Participant

Piper, I know what you mean. I gotta tell you, I always though this ROV business is high tech and the only way forward. If I new what I know now, I would’ve stayed in the trade.

Unless you get payed properly, like them guys from the UK(which makes a excellent living earning that amount of money). to me its not worth it. And what bothers me is should I continue or return to my trade? Because the longer you’re out, the less likely it gets getting a job in a trade again. Fact is you lose experience and keeping track with the trade, as ROVs, being technical as well, sends you in a different direction.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar