Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Seamans Book

Seamans Book

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Seamans Book

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Makemineadouble
    Participant

Hi All,

Before i get abuse and hell from the old and bold, i will make my excuses now and say that i am new to the offshore industry and this site.
    If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be grately appreciated.

What are the motions for gaining a Seamans book? Is the book that you apply for online be used anywhere in the world? I have been after a job in the middle East and the requirement is for a seamans book.

Appreciate any advice and apologies to the Old And Bold crew on here for taking up a post!!

Crickitt
    Participant

Don’t double post. DOH!!

Makemineadouble
    Participant

Many thanks for the link mind 🙂 , crickitt….. :tdn:

kevnewby
    Participant

Makemineadouble,

I am trying to get into the ROV industry also and I have been informed by the guys at the Maritime & Coastguard Agency that I can’t get the seamans book without getting a signature from my employer. Seen as though I aint got an ROV job then the paperwork has been filled in and waiting until/if I land a job.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Makemineadouble,

I am trying to get into the ROV industry also and I have been informed by the guys at the Maritime & Coastguard Agency that I can’t get the seamans book without getting a signature from my employer. Seen as though I aint got an ROV job then the paperwork has been filled in and waiting until/if I land a job.

You do not need a Seafarers Card or Book to get a job offshore. This is something you will get AFTER you start the job.

For most Uk companies the only reason they want you to have a Seafarers Card is so they can get you deep discount tickets on the airlines.

The difference between the Card and the Book is that the Book has pages which allow you to record your time on a vessel and get a ships stamp on it. You dont necessarily need that, you can just get a 1 page piece of paper that does the same job.

Most Uk employers will only pay for the Card – if you want to get a book you will have to pay for that yourself (tehy will normally still supply a letter to you OK tho)

Makemineadouble
    Participant

Thanks for the info Ray, have now recieved a covering letter from the Agency so i can apply for the seamans book. Called the MCA and after a chat, worked out what i needed to do! 😳 Even tried to explain to the chap that i may work on any registered ship may it be UK or Panamanium etc as i was going through a agency , the penny still didnt seem to drop for the info i was after so i am just going to send the form and attached letter. Many thanks for the advice to all 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar