Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Seasoned engineer wants to change career

Seasoned engineer wants to change career

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Seasoned engineer wants to change career

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Derek McRiner
    Participant

As an ex-FAA aircraft (avionics) eng., I left in 1980 and always wanted to enter the world of ROVs. I realise now that, at that time I hadn’t a hope in hell (or the work experience) to gain a position. Now I feel I have a wealth of experience behind me, have I left it too late at 54 to change careers and do what I have always wanted to do? Are there official age limits? If not, where can I hope to work? ❓

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I’m 51, ex-Avionics, left in 79′ and got a walk-in job with Taylor Diving no probs….

In general there’s no age limits as long as you can pass the medical required for said company / client. However, there are some oil companies / clients that have put a cap on age for insurance reasons. Keep on plugging and knockin’ on doors dude and you’ll get a job.

Derek McRiner
    Participant

Many thanks for the encouragement. I have been employed by the same company for the last eleven years, so I have had to do a lot of thinking about how to consolidate what I have learned over time into paper qualifications that may be required by ROV companies. I never take it for granted that work experience alone will be taken into consideration. Like many people, I have had to earn a living and haven’t had much opportunity to take time off for full time education courses.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar