Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Sensible advice?

Sensible advice?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Sensible advice?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kev blowes
    Participant

I need some sensible advice or info from some experienced hands.
    I’ve been a sat diver for a number of years, done the rounds of middle east ,far east ,north sea etc. For the past two years i’ve been studying electrics at college, mainly domestic and commercial installations but a lot of fault finding,testing etc.
    Unbelievably, i miss going offshore….yes, very strange…and so i’m playing with the idea of maybe trying to get a start with rov’s.
    If i was to invest in an rov course, would i be barking up the wrong tree with my specific electrics background, or would it start me off in good stead.
    Bit of a mid life crisis going on here i think. Having recently qualified as an electrician, i dont fancy pulling floor boards up for the next 20 years?
    And before anybody says why not go back to sat diving….i’d rather pull floor boards up!!!!!!!!!

rovnumpty
    Participant

Blowesy

If you’re serious, I wouldn’t bother with a course at all(just need to check some of the posts on here to get an idea as to how useful they are), just start applying to the ROV companies.

With your background, and electrical training, there’s a good chance someone will offer you a job.

Something you should remember is that most of the big ROV companies started out as Dive companies, so much of the management are ex divers, LSTs, etc. Meaning some off them are baised towards ex-divers, especially ones who have bothered to go and get some electrical training.

One thing though. They’ll offer you a trainee rate. Which is pobably going to be a damn sight lower than a sparky would earn onshore.

kev blowes
    Participant

Rovnumpty, thanks for replying.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar