Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

SMD ROV’s

Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Victoria Bosi
    Participant

New XLX uses QNX operating system and touchscreen. SMD have been using QNX for 10 years and touchscreens for 5 years.

New XLX uses windowing system for video/diagnostics. SMD used this initially on early Q-Series ROVs but dropped it due to picture delay through the processor.

New XLX uses distributed control technology. SMD started using this 5 years ago

Savante
    Participant

when you say distributed, is this like ethernet, where you transmit packets to nodes?

Victoria Bosi
    Participant

Nodes yes, ethernet no. they use the more robust (for subsea use) Modbus protocol.

Andrew Hodgson
    Participant

thanks again for all the positive comments. I am not going to disrespect the competition, both PSS and Schilling make good kit, like we do, and I think the 3 of us have taken equipment up a level. We all have our advantages, of course I want ours to be the choice, hence the need for more suggestions on what annoys you.

Pleased to say that we are trying to make our kit work first time, spent alot on making this happen. Strikes me that the world of ROV’s didnt quite get this, you spend a couple of million on kit, then it doesnt quite work. I know what I would feel if a car dealer did this to me on a 10 grand car!! (OK I know CEO’s dont drive 10 grand cars but get my drift) Last few systems delivered have been complemented on this, no doubt having opened my big mouth next system will be a disaster, but moving in right direction. I still moan at the team about making sure we dont forget this though.

Also interested to see comments on post delivery. We have a great bunch here, you can always get on phone, but still think we can do more. Planning to open support centres in US and Singapore in next few months, suggestions please on what else we can do to make a difference to those that matter (I mean you lot)?

Oh and for scotbeve, I offered T-Shirt not fleece, but as you asked you can have one (never to be repeated offer) Need to know how to get it to you, email me at andrew.hodgson@smd.co.uk.

Andrew
    CEO SMD

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Cheers Andrew!

Anonymous

Scot
    You dont need it, its not that cold up North, well a little in the morning thats all. 😆

Anonymous

HI
    Very nice that some of the "big" guys want to listen, i wish they have done that with CT1 😆 😆 😆

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Scot
    You dont need it, its not that cold up North, well a little in the morning thats all. 😆

Cold enough in the mountains when camping… Like freezing!

Kalbo
    Participant

SMD rov’s. Not as bad as some of the doom merchants would have you believe then…

No comments from the lads with the Centurion SMD builds!!!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

It’s funny that 🙂
    I remember Subsea had loads of Scorpios ( Acquired after buy outs ) And they upgraded them , added another vert thruster and named them Centurions .
    So what is this SMD Centurion then ?
    Perhaps someone from the SUBSEA technical dept can answer that question how they came into being and how these vehicles differ from the SMD ones ?
    Just curious 8)

Victoria Bosi
    Participant

SMD Centurion is a hybrid. Quasar components wrapped in a Centurion frame and buoyancy. Guess the idea was to keep the S7 corporate ROV look and marry it with updated the technology. Rest of the components inc Control van, TMS, A-Frame, Winch etc etc are standard SMD.

Donald Faulds
    Participant

New XLX uses QNX operating system and touchscreen. SMD have been using QNX for 10 years and touchscreens for 5 years.

New XLX uses windowing system for video/diagnostics. SMD used this initially on early Q-Series ROVs but dropped it due to picture delay through the processor.

New XLX uses distributed control technology. SMD started using this 5 years ago

???? Perry vs SMD controls. They look and and feel worlds apart both in what you see and what is underneath – but anyone is entitled to their own theories ????

Victoria Bosi
    Participant
    Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Mucles from Brussels??

Ha ha ha!! I know SMD did a good job in februari 2005 with the upgrade of a (real) fall pipe ROV, but I can tell that this one will not be as advanced as SMD and Jan de Nul might think.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Andrew CEO SMD said Pleased to say that we are trying to make our kit work first time, spent alot on making this happen. Strikes me that the world of ROV’s didnt quite get this, you spend a couple of million on kit, then it doesnt quite work. I know what I would feel if a car dealer did this to me on a 10 grand car!! (OK I know CEO’s dont drive 10 grand cars but get my drift) Last few systems delivered have been complemented on this, no doubt having opened my big mouth next system will be a disaster, but moving in right direction. I still moan at the team about making sure we dont forget this though.

Your company can aspire to make kit that works 1st time …but the compnaies still put semi unskilled staff out on the machines who will bodge it up…thats the problem…oh and who do they blame …the manufacturer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar