Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

SMD ROV’s

Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Kalbo
    Participant

Have you worked with these and what do you think of them? They have built 30+ Q series and around 20 Centurions for S Club 7.
    Thoughts?

c
    Participant

someone once said to me So Many Defects…….i think he was joking.

HelpMaBoab
    Participant

Funny that ! I heard Simple Made Difficult 😆

boroman
    Participant

So if they have built over 50 of these so called ROV’s they must be heading in the right direction.

luckyjim37
    Participant

The q series is are all decent enough to fly and do have some really good points. Touch screen controls and fairly spacious consoles.

I have followed one through from the factory over the past year and to be honest it has had some problems which suprised me however a lot of these may have been increased due to inexperienced operators (even worse than me and I am no superstar).

In general though they are quite good they just seem to be vehicles that need to operated all the time they do not seem to work so well after any amount of time stood in a wharehouse.

They also now come with closed loop control and have vacuum test points on the pods which they never used to have.

SMD seem to have been listening to the offshore feedback and improvements can be seen between the various systems.

Anonymous

Hi
    Scrap Metal Dealers

Kalbo
    Participant

Also S##t Mechanical Design.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

someone once said to me So Many Defects…….i think he was joking.

Probably not. Was he smiling?

HelpMaBoab
    Participant

Also heard that the Quantums are more expensive than an TXLX… 😯

I’ll go to the foot of my stairs

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Also heard that the Quantums are more expensive than an TXLX… 😯

Well it’s no contest then.

liddelljohn
    Participant

The Asynchronous A frame works well ….until the cams go out of synch and then the fun begins…there can be issues with Phantom,breaker LIM faults when running on Generator only systems(no ships power) but thay are solid old bits of kit fairly easy to maintain with good backup.

boroman
    Participant

There won’t be a lot of difference in price between a Quantum and TLX, it depends on what you spec. A top end Quantum will probably be the same price as a lower spec TLX.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Another upside to SMD stuff would be the variable speed TMS drum as well as the "rendering effect" coming out ot the TMS.

Victoria Bosi
    Participant

Initially they were a bit cr@p but bear in mind SMD only really started making WROVs in 2004.(This doesn’t include the bigger trencher ROVs which they’ve made since the mid nineties).

After they delivered the first bunch of WROVs they listened to the operators feedback and now their latest kit is pretty good.

Also says a lot that TLX copies SMD’s control technology!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

The Wago system is good (except when they ran AC next to unshielded sig. conductors in a couple of the oil-filled cables).

Also, the responder power was doubled up – meaning, they had, on the dwg., power to both the "charging" pin and the ext. pwr. pin on the responder (or Xponder). Won’t work that way.

But to "over" compact them was a mistake. You don’t want to be there when there is a hyd. problem on a Quasar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar