Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

SMD ROV’s

Home Forums General General Board SMD ROV’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    HelpMaBoab
    Participant

All perry (UK)TMS systems are now the Type 4, which have variable speed drive and rendering, I think they have stopped the old style ones, unless specifically ordered.

Andrew Hodgson
    Participant

Thanks for all the old jokes! I have heard a few more but wont share them.

Seriously we do try and listen and know the early kit was a problem, thanks for sticking with us. Keep feeding the forum, good and bad news always welcome.

And we have the best T-Shirts!! email me if you are an operator and you want one, prize for best picture returned.(rumour that there was a "ladies only" comp in Aberdeen last year using our T-Shirts, but havent seen any pics yet)

Andrew,
    CEO SMD

Kalbo
    Participant

But to "over" compact them was a mistake. You don’t want to be there when there is a hyd. problem on a Quasar

The new Quaser i.e. a proper one (not a renamed Quark) is alot more spacious, just about 100mm shorter that the original Quantum.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Andrew,

It’s refreshing to see a manufacturer being so involved and actually LISTENING to us guys / gals offshore. Keep up the good work. Perry take note…. ya’ NEVER listened to us and cost us downtime!

Kalbo,

That’s good news! One would need hands the size of chicken feet for getting deep into the older Quasars.

Wonder how the umbilical saga is coming along?

Kalbo
    Participant

Scott

All main lifts are replaced as far as I know under warranty, Andrew may confirm. So hopefully just the annual reterm now and not the weekly one!!! You should try them again, you may like…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I Do like Quasars… Once again, VERY good news about the main lift (35 – 40 effin’ dives a reterm!!!!) I would like to go on it again except that the company I work (ed) for didn’t have the schedule I wanted – re: out of my synch for time off / hols.

Andrew Hodgson
    Participant

Once again thanks for comments

We have replaced main lifts under warranty so should be better now, but not brill we know they shouldnt have needed this is first place.

And we are dropping the quark, not just because of the name. Feels to me it was a Quasar on a smaller frame so no working room which we try and provide. Some customers still want QC for the power on small frame, but this feels tight. Launched the Atom to try and address the small but open issue, no doubt you will tell me if its right!

Keep up the posts, I am not an operator so need to be told, and then I can get the team to do things better.

Andrew
    CEO, SMD

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Andrew…

Welcome to the forum.

It’s good to see a manufacturer listen to the troops at the worksite and also discussing the same through the net. If SMD discusses and acts on feedback received from people using your gear then the guys n gals should offer some good stuff up for you to mull over.

It’s a sure path to product improvement and ultimately beating the competition.

People….. add sensible feedback please. If the CEO of SMD wants to listen, and keep us updated, then they should have something decent to listen to, be it good or bad.

Other manufacturers… take note!

best regards

HelpMaBoab
    Participant

Aye James is right,
    The rest of the ROV manufacturers need to take note.
    I have FAT’d a number of Tritons and they are still being sent out with the same "Stock Faults", each time after mentioning it the answer is always the same "nobody else has complained". Which to be frank is a load of bollocks. They must think the ROV companies engineering guys do not talk to each other, of course we do, as do all of the techs.
    The company I am working for will be expanding the fleet in the near future and we are currently comparing different systems on a conceptual basis at the moment but now PSSL are slipping down the prefered equipment list compared to the other manufacturers now, due to their total disregard for their customers, especially when the kit is out the door, the after care service is abysmal,
    If it was not for the contacts made during the FAT’s at PSSL we would be in a right mess if we had to go through proper channels.
    Anyway rant over.
    To sum up, When are any of the ROV builders going to build an ROV that can go straight on a job as soon as it comes out of the factory? Instead of having to spend a couple of weeks sorting out thing that were not apparent during FAT’s (You can’t catch everything in 3 days)…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Help me B.,

Had 2 vehicles "out of the box" in 29 years that worked well first time wet. One was a Super Scorpio (mil specs are bril aren’t they??!!) and the other was a 225 (oh yeah… also mil specs). Agreed w/Perry vhicles (bloody GFM’s!!!).

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

SMD upgraded a fallpipe ROV of my ex-employer in 2005. It worked great, no problems from the 1st day. (And technology much better than that crap ROV from EB.)

Oh, the t-shirts and fleece jackets are of good quality. Still wear it! 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Gotta admit, that SMD’s after sales is good as well.

Ron,

Fleece??!! Andrew!!! Oh, Andrew!!!!

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Yep. I’m not sure if they still have these because they have the old "SMD Hydrovision" logo stitched on it.

It must be a real collectors item now:

Donald Faulds
    Participant

There’s some wild comments on this thread? Perry copying SMD controls – where does that comment come from? As for the TMS, Perry have had auto-render, variable speed, load sensing etc for years – though granted only on the later type 3, 4 & 5 TMS (puzzled?) 😕

James McLauchlan
    Participant

No matter who may, or may not, be copying whom, or which company produces better systems. On after sales service and support I have first hand experience with Perry V SMD.

SMD are far more proactive and responsive on after sales care. Perry seem to want little to do with the systems after they have gone out of the door and tend to pass the buck. I’m sure there are some in this Forum, whom I have worked with, that know where I am coming from.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar