Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training SO WHAT COURSE?

SO WHAT COURSE?

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training SO WHAT COURSE?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ernie
    Participant

So ive got a bit of technical background and have been a commercial diving sup and commercial skipper for 22 years, now I want to do rov’s. Ive been in touch with IDESS in phillipines as well as Fremantle in Australia , but it seems if I listen to the postings I should rather carry on diving till I drop dead or open a carwash(just jokin) SDeriously which school would be better ?

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

As for Challenger TAFE, you will be firstly vetted by the college so that your technical and professional background meets the IMCA guidelines to cross-train as an ROV Pilot Tech.
    Secondly, all those that meet those requirements are then ranked by an industry panel, with the top 8 selected. There are only a few ‘induction’ courses a year, unlike IDESS.

Do you meet the IMCA guidelines as descibed on the website below, if so, it doesn’t hurt to send an enquiry yourself does it?

http://www.challengertafe.wa.edu.au/scripts/viewarticle.asp?NID=5012

Best of luck.

TheBaron
    Participant

😯 I must admit that I’m very impressed by the pre-qualification policy. I had a bit of a giggle over the following policy statement on the site:

**** In the interests of safety, College policies require enclosed shoes must be worn – sandals/thongs are not acceptable. Failure to comply may result in refusal to allow you to participate in training and assessment.**** 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😛

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Is Long hair ok , Apeman 😀

rovstuff
    Participant

Ernie

At the end, a car wash is not a bad idea! 😀

Andy Shiers
    Participant

How about a car wash school 😯

Ernie
    Participant

Thanx for the replies, it does seem as though Fremantle is a bit more professional , they give much more informative answers to your questions and spell out what you need to do the course, but travelling half way around the world and the fact that the course is set for only one more date this year makes it logistically very difficult indeed. They also want you to send in yer application form with yer cv so one cannot first be approved and then plan yer trip.It seems I will have to do IDESS after all, for some folks I know that have phoned there I believe their english is not too hot hope one can understand their tuition. HAS ANYONE DONE THEIR COURSE IN THE PHILLIPINES THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME INDICATION OF WHAT IT WAS LIKE PLEASE.
    Thanks folks

LukeD
    Participant

Where are you from Ernie ?
    And where are you living ?

Ernie
    Participant

Hi Luke
    Im from South Africa, we have a course going here but doesnt seem to have the same status and popularity as those abroad, I recon anything you do may as well do the best you can and it seems doing yer course in eg fremantle could start you off with more of an advantage.

Mick
    Participant

Hey Ernie there is also Global Marine in the U.k if you are looking for rov courses still.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar