Home Forums General General Board State of our industry in 2016

State of our industry in 2016

Home Forums General General Board State of our industry in 2016

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex Kerr
    Participant

Like many, I’ve started only to check in here very occasionally.
    I’ve noticed the distinct lack of posts and subjects up for discussion.
    It’s this a sign of how many guys have left our industry, don’t see any future in it and therfor have nothing to discuss with peers, apathy, or just worn down? .
    This site was a good tool in the past, let’s hope it can be again.
    I wish you all a happy and prosperous 2017
    😉 🙄 😉 🙄

Ryan gay
    Participant

Like many, I’ve started only to check in here very occasionally.
    I’ve noticed the distinct lack of posts and subjects up for discussion.
    It’s this a sign of how many guys have left our industry, don’t see any future in it and therfor have nothing to discuss with peers, apathy, or just worn down? .
    This site was a good tool in the past, let’s hope it can be again.
    I wish you all a happy and prosperous 2017
    😉 🙄 😉 🙄

I think 2017 will be the recovery back to the top as it surely can’t get any worse than it has although I’ve managed to do ok with 140-150 days averaged other the last two years of the downturn.

rovnumpty
    Participant

Hello Spark.

Think the rot had set in a long time before the downturn in regards to users of this site.

Think that’s why James and Gina were going to shut it down a couple of years back, before moving it on to someone else.

A lot of people had moved onto the ROV social media sites rather than this forum, but I think the demographic of those in the industry shifted substantially 5 or 6 years ago.

There doesn’t seem to be as much ‘community’ as there used to be. People are less interested in the job and the equipment, or being good at it. As long as they can get their competancies signed before bob and tim who jioned the same time as them, then they’re happy, even if they can’t fly or fix the sub.

Of course ‘anyone’ can do this job according to the schools and manafacturers, so some of the less scrupulous companies and agencies are using ‘anyone’ – they’re a lot cheaper.

Irony is that the clients are getting so pissed of with shite ROV people that they are now looking at other alternatives, such as ultra deep sat diving, AUVs, and ‘remote operation’

Alex Kerr
    Participant

Hello Spark.

Think the rot had set in a long time before the downturn in regards to users of this site.

Think that's why James and Gina were going to shut it down a couple of years back, before moving it on to someone else.

A lot of people had moved onto the ROV social media sites rather than this forum, but I think the demographic of those in the industry shifted substantially 5 or 6 years ago.

There doesn't seem to be as much 'community' as there used to be. People are less interested in the job and the equipment, or being good at it. As long as they can get their competancies signed before bob and tim who jioned the same time as them, then they're happy, even if they can't fly or fix the sub.

Of course 'anyone' can do this job according to the schools and manafacturers, so some of the less scrupulous companies and agencies are using 'anyone' – they're a lot cheaper.

Irony is that the clients are getting so pissed of with shite ROV people that they are now looking at other alternatives, such as ultra deep sat diving, AUVs, and 'remote operation'

A reasonable assessment I think.
    On a more positive note, been getting a number of calls and emails about upcoming jobs, five or six this early in the year already, so hopefully things are looking up for 2017.
    My best to everyone for 2017, and for the industry?, here’s hoping we can get back to something like normality in the coming year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar