Home Forums General General Board "std" ROV hydraulic system

"std" ROV hydraulic system

Home Forums General General Board "std" ROV hydraulic system

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Arnfinn
    Participant

I wonder what who is the most common.
    Is hydraulic pressure usually added through the umbilical, or is the hydraulic pressure made locally on the ROV with electrical hydraulic pumps ?
    Or is one of them allways the solution ?

mctintin
    Participant

In all my years doing this, it is always High Voltage through the umbilical supplying an Electric Motor which then drives the pumps to create the Hydraulic power (pressure/flow)

Andy Shiers
    Participant

After re reading what you said thinking to begin with that it was a very stupid niave question ……….. I recollect The old plows/pipe,cable burial machines in the Eighties Were Hydraulic hoses from the surface. To approx’ depth of 60 m . Although impractical any deeper , Having the hoses from the surface meant Bigger Pumps delivering greater volume and pressure. 🙂 Going off at a tangent here but………….The sacrifice at the time was for a lighter ROV with better payload meaning more volts.
    This is a dilemma of most ROV engineers when designing a new ROV.
    Until a fantastical new operating pump which is very light and operates on less power but delivers high pressure as well as low volume comes along we are stuck with ……… Very large but powerful ROV with extra bouyancy to cope with Transformers,Pumps and the voltage being sent down to it (Now that ROV operations are going deeper than 3000 m).
    Other than that…….. the question sounds like a wind up….. again 8)
    Well……………… I bit 😀

Allan Lawson
    Participant

Superted1

Even though I’m new to this I’ve been told on numerous occasions that the rov’s can be configured for both,

There is a small Hydraulic Metal pipe that runs down the inside of the umbilical and this is used for the hydraulic umbilical configuration. There is also fibres inside this pipe but it is dual purpose.

Hope this answers your question. 🙂

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

There is a small Hydraulic Metal pipe that runs down the inside of the umbilical and this is used for the hydraulic umbilical configuration. There is also fibres inside this pipe but it is dual purpose.

Hope this answers your question. 🙂

No! That stainless tube is for the fibers only! The reason it’s filled with oil is pressure compensation. The tube has nothing to do with the hydraulic system (HPU) of the ROV.

Allan Lawson
    Participant

You sure?

I thought the new xlx were capablle of 1500hp thru this pipe due to the small diameter. I might be wrong though.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

No. 1,

You really went fishing here!!! Can’t believe folks actually bought it!!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Where does the Pilot sit 😕

Vassilis Tsigerakis
    Participant

In case this isnt a wind up (although its hard to reply seriously when reading about 300Bar going through the fiber tube!), we are still using similar "old school" systems for trenching and jetting in extremely shallow waters.Its simple, efficient and logistically better for that type of work.

Number1, if you re still wondering which is the best company to benefit from your services, you can stop looking.Its Rexxroth!

Innovatum
    Participant

I don’t know which one of you is more moronic !!!!, at least I assume Superted and number 1 are takin the piss !! no it is neither oil filled nor compensated ??????

Nathaniel Essex
    Participant

The ROV’s I pilot run on diesel, and the tube in the center of the umbilical is hollow to allow exhaust to return to the surface. 😛

Robert Black
    Participant

Due to the increase lately in fuel prices, I heard that a lot of companies are hiring monks to research and develope systems that run on the power of positive thoughts. This of course will also save millions on tethers. Cutting edge stuff. We live in amazing times.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar