Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Still learning

Still learning

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Still learning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

I am still looking for my first proper job so still new with the interviews and companies actually getting back to you.
    I have applied for a Junior rov position on the Sunday 4th March and I have checked the job has now been removed from the website.
    My question is should I show interest and email them this week or just accept if they dont contact me there not interested?
    DOF have been the worst due to going through a restructure so there office is a mess and you never get an answer or reply from them due to the high numbers replying which is very frustrating.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I am still looking for my first proper job so still new with the interviews and companies actually getting back to you.
    I have applied for a Junior rov position on the Sunday 4th March and I have checked the job has now been removed from the website.
    My question is should I show interest and email them this week or just accept if they dont contact me there not interested?
    DOF have been the worst due to going through a restructure so there office is a mess and you never get an answer or reply from them due to the high numbers replying which is very frustrating.

Johnny

It’s like that in this game so don’t take it personally or feel that they may not be interested. I would assume they might be interested until such times as they contact you and say they are not!

The trick is to keep yourself on their radar. So, keep emailing and calling until you are blue in the face and don’t feel the slightest bit guilty about bothering them too much. Something will give eventually. If you do little, and wait for them to get back to you’ll, simply be forgotten unfortunately.

Good luck! :tup:

john
    Participant

Thank you for your reply guess I was looking for some reassurance.
    I don’t want to hamper my chances by "annoying them" with emails/calls but i guess you don’t ask…… Fingers crossed cheers for the advice again.

openside
    Participant

Johnny,

Are they ignoring you because you maybe dont have the neccesary qualifications?
    Why do you think you have what it takes to be taken on over the other thousands of PT 11’S applying for work as a trainee?

john
    Participant

I have completed a 3 year cadetship with gulf offshore in mechanical engineering also getting a hnd through this.
    I have completed all the unit in a hnc in electronics.
    Completed the rov training at fortwilliam.
    Also done a 45 day contract as a rov pilot with a local company.
    Both my friends were taken on late last year by dof so I have more experience than them however I didn’t apply at that time so missed my chance.

openside
    Participant

Johnny,

A 45 day job and you class yourself as an ROV pilot. And are DOF the only people you are interested in working for?

Most companies are looking for trainees at the moment, or with a whole 45 days in the bag are you under the impresion you are beyond that?

john
    Participant

Are you just after an argument pal?
    At what point did I call myself a ROV Pilot? I was employed by a company at that title so that is what any person will write on a cv and I think am better than people due to what comments! Dof are a company I mentioned because my friends are with them grow up.
    Can a moderator end the thread please.
    1st post asking for some advice which was kindly answered troll some other threads you oxygen thief.

openside
    Participant

Read your comment PAL and you will see you called yourself an ROV pilot.

I have more experience than my friends, with 45 days work. Write what you want on your CV with 45 days work you are no more than a trainee, with an attitude by the sound of you. Calm your pants or you may fail your medical with the high blood pressure, PAL.

Read your previous comments before you go getting all uppety

Any way off to steel some oxygen Oh and I work for DOF, I hope I dont get you on my shift pal 😈 😳

john
    Participant

I was employed as an Rov Pilot so what am I supposed to say.
    People like you annoy me because I asked a simple question if you were a decent person you could have given me some advice not just judge. You were once in my position so remember that nobody’s perfect.
    When my friends got employed I had more experience keyword is more never have ever said I was better than someone. I am applying for trainee positions because that is the level I am at trying to break into the industry and learn not swan about being upety as you have branded me.
    I couldn’t care less if you work for DOF all I want is a job that I enjoy doing not wasting my time replying to you. Do you have any helpful advice that isn’t sarchy ?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I have more experience than my friends, with 45 days work. Write what you want on your CV with 45 days work you are no more than a trainee, with an attitude by the sound of you. Calm your pants or you may fail your medical with the high blood pressure, PAL.

Read your previous comments before you go getting all uppety

Any way off to steel some oxygen Oh and I work for DOF, I hope I dont get you on my shift pal 😈 😳

I’m wondering what your agenda is here? Are you some kind of ROV God or something? You’d need to be to berate someone right off the bat like that!
    The guy asked a perfectly simple question and was looking for advice yet you came in all anti. We all had to start somewhere, so how about cutting some slack eh?

Also, if you wish to have a bash as someone can I suggest get your facts right in the first instance otherwise you start to look a bit stupid when you get things wrong.

You wrote:

Yet the guy clearly didn’t call himself an ROV pilot, he said:

Also done a 45 day contract as a rov pilot with a local company.

If a local company want to employ a trainee as an ROV pilot that is thier call. I’ve seen plenty of evidence of that offshore already.

Can I suggest that if anyone has some useful advice please add it or, if not, don’t bother.

T-Boy
    Participant

It depends on how interested YOU are.

Keep emailing, phoning and eventually you may get yourself heard. Its frustrating, and as already mentioned the whole industry is like this.

Desired results are usually proportional to the effort expended AND some luck 😉

Anonymous

Jamesmc.

You are absolutely right. Who are these Rov Gods.

I recently had a run in with K2 in CS FU AN ( general board) who stipulated that anyone who had not been on the type of system that he was supervising would be run off by him.

Now we have "openside" playing the tough guy. John182 said he had applied for a junior rov position, can’t "openside" read.

Were these guys never trainess.
    Who are these tough guys. If that is your attitude offshore "openside" then stay onshore.
    I have worked offshore since 1978, 19 years as a diver the rest ROV and I am finding that people like "openside" should pull their necks in. You did not invent ROV, you are an offshore grunt, like me. We are not special.

Loonginthetooth.

Roy Simson
    Participant

A few months ago I was asked to go through some Cvs to find crew and found 3 people with my cv under there name .

Guys I know how you all feel but sending out your Cvs with other peoples experience is not going to work but myself and the other experienced guys on this forum did say " Dont waste your money on doing a Rov Course due to the lack of Rov trainee jobs available "

I hate to think how many trainees out there are still looking for work and the schools are still turning people out in the hope of getting into the rov industry.

Good Luck on the job Hunt but all this happen before in the early seventies when every body wanted to be a diver .

Raptor

Larry
    Participant

Johnny,

A 45 day job and you class yourself as an ROV pilot. And are DOF the only people you are interested in working for?

Most companies are looking for trainees at the moment, or with a whole 45 days in the bag are you under the impresion you are beyond that?

Openslide, I too have done the FW course and got taken on by DOF, I worked for them for 6 months and managed to save up to do a week long ROV Supervisors course in Indonesia, so now I have my supervisors ticket. I am due to start a Hallin marine as a night shift supervisor. Just proves it can be done. 😯

Mike Kidd
    Participant

You must be very good and confident to go from pilot tech to Sub Eng in 6 months and then do night shift supervisor, but if I was on your shift I would be worried 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar