Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training STOP (and other safety programs)

STOP (and other safety programs)

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training STOP (and other safety programs)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

Have you filled in your STOP card for today? Have you been told you MUST complete one card each day? Does anyone else think that when they start saying that they are not doing it to be safe but to make up the numbers so that they can say they have 100% participation in <insert>

Does writing a card when you see someone holding the handrail when they walk up the stairs really make for a safer workplace or has it just turned into a numbers game?

What happens when there is an accident? Is there a push to hush it up or play it down because the Safety Bonus might be put at risk?

As you can tell, I get jaded about some of these safety systems you see offshore sometimes. I dont agree with safety bonuses or big prizes, they either encourage people to either rush off and write a card first rather than fix the hazard or to come up with ways round the system to hide a problem so that a monetary bonus wont be lost.

Whats your best (surely there must be some good ones!) and worst experiences of STOP or similar safety programs offshore?

😀

I am currently working (for now) in the electricity industry.

Industry might be different but I bet it sounds the same

R.A. required to travel to and from site, Work Instruction and stage 1 R.A. required before leaving depot to go to site, stage 2 R.A. required to carry out works on site, Stage 3 required if something changes on the work site. Guys now even expecting to be issued paperwork for fault works 😕 .
    STOP refresher training just starting in February.
    SEAR reports required by supervisor at least 1 a week.
    Safety audits required on each squad 1 a week or if working with new squad safety audit required no excusses. If no problems highlighted questions asked as audits may not be being carried out properly.
    All isolation and PTW paperwork if issued for work to be returned for auditing by office first thing in morning.

Recently found customer with generator feeding onto network that was isolated for fault repair and I issued a SEAR report. I was then challenged to explain how the live network was discovered even tho we had followed all proceedures and I had given a detailed written report.

By the way we are in a no blame culture these documents keep us all safe 😕

R.A. : Risk Assessment
    SEAR : Safety,Enviromental,Accident,report. (cover all report)

As the HASWA 74 says in not so many words : By your acts or omissions you are accountable for the safety of yourself and others at work.

Company executives not to keen on the new corp. manslaughter laws.

So sign your life away if something goes wrong and you haven’t noticed the Risk,Hazzard,Enviromental issue or not followed the written proceedure to get the job done. Your ass is thiers.

Final question usually : WHY DID THAT JOB TAKE SO LONG!!!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

You will fit in perfectly offshore 🙂

Remember to put a big emphasis on all of that in your CV!

Alex Kerr
    Participant

Funniest one for me!–Britannia Platform 1997:
    Safety awared for personnel, following so many man hours without a lost time incident, a shiny new leatherman- result, over the rest of the trip about half a dozen cut hands or fingers.
    Next safety award after achieving the required amount of man hours again (did you guess it?) a first aid kit! 😆 😆 😆

rovbionic
    Participant

Been more than one job where I put in a few stop observations and next thing you know "your making waves "and off the job!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar