Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Subsea cable detection

Subsea cable detection

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Subsea cable detection

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Savante
    Participant

Why not use a bigger ROV 😕

mate they don’t just grow on trees out here 😯

Savante
    Participant

lostboy have you been drinkin the dialla again? 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Tellus 68 and a splash of wd40 actually 🙂
    I don’t steep low as to drink Dialla 😡
    That’s a commoners drink 😛

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Do you have any Trees……………………………
    Out there 😕

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Where is ‘Out there’ anyway Savante ?

Savante
    Participant

We found a tree somewhere off the coast of Norway-shire couple of days ago – no ROVs hanging off it. Quite unlucky really.

Pilot was quite merrily cruising along and there it was. A ruddy great tree.

I never said I was posh.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Aahhhh , The land of wooden tops !

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

Hi Loose Bouy
    How was the pizza and pasta?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

It was a blast , Stagnant pool 😀
    I must say it was quite a pleasure working with some characters on the team and the contract was ………………………. how should I put it………………….. Interesting 😀
    No paperwork , No pressure and absolutely no responsibility 😛 Just pure grunt work ! 😯
    I hear you have some reprobates on your system hmmmmmm 😕
    Ps Don’t damage me lid 😯
    I now have the option of ……………….
    A/ Canada
    B/ Australia
    or C/ South Africa 😕 ( Someone has stolen ma Ca ! ) 😆

Take it easy dude

Savante
    Participant

Here’s something I just discovered with the 350.

SHUT DOWN YOUR SONARS. The piezo transducers must be detectable by the system in the region of 0-100Hz. We had a bugger of a time with them on.

SpearROV
    Participant

What sonar were you operating ?

Axeman
    Participant

Use the scope and check for harmonic’s and set the freq in between, yawn. Power supplies with 50hz will have noise at 100…150…etc avoid those freq’s

Savante
    Participant

1 x imaging sonar and 2x sonar profilers. All within 25cm range of the triads. We couldn’t push the triads any further out as the system would be exceptionally unstable. Like using a donkey to steer an oil tanker. Our vehicle was rather small.

Axeman, it wasn’t quite so simple as that, we were operating sub 30Hz due to simops and noise passband of the other vehicle which was lead on the job. 60Hz AC was not an issue, neither were the harmonics.

We did pick up a lot of broadband ac/dc hum, probably from the switch mode supplies used onboard our vehicle, also from our thrusters which generated various amounts of noise (depending on rotor speed).

I was going on the presumption that the sonars have high torque rotation stages inside with high voltage piezo transducers on them. We couldn’t simply just go for a high threshold background subtraction as the signal to noise ratio was about 3:1 when we were sitting above the target (depth over 1.5m). Any lower and we just lost the cable because we couldn’t boost the signal either.

Killing the sonars and operating the dc thrusters at a frequency outwith our passband was the only way we could reduce the background noise in our passband. We managed to vastly improve our tracking. Target wobbed like hell with the sonars on.

We must have just been on the limit. Strictly speaking, SNR of 3.0 is normally the limit of detection for spectral analysis and peak detection.

Anyway, got the job done, but check your sonars just in case. It made a difference to us.

SpearROV
    Participant

Wow Axeman , you sure know what you are talking about 🙂
    Can I be in your ROV Team 😀
    Unless your a whinging Aussie that is 😕

Trainee2
    Participant

Hmmm second ROV, missed that, good lesson shared – cheers

Two other common "issues" are shallow water ops driving a lot of ships noise though the water. We overcame that by playing with vessel head and ROV / vessel horz distance (makes an interesting game in 15 m). and coil values were correct for position and no spares used with slightly diff values, that’ll ruin your day…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar