Home Forums General General Board Survey on ROV usability

Survey on ROV usability

Home Forums General General Board Survey on ROV usability

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Manuel Parente
    Participant

This forum thread is being most helpful.

So, so far we can summarize several things:

Conditions in the control vans and container (size, temperature, confort)
      Control desks design
      Low quality screens
      Control sticks not standard ( a system that let’s you change the type of control, for each op, would be great)
      Space is limited, design should be according to that
      Maintenance of some parts is pain
      A system to feed the data (video and such) off the control van for non operators in other room
      CRT’s (???? really!? you still use CRTs??)
      useless-one-function-at-a-time-touch screens ( I would love to know more about this)
      Misplacement of switches (this is very important, would like to know more)
      Don’t know about the foot spa, but both the wing mirrors or placement of cameras and the network control of the ROV is not at all impossible its feasable, but somewhat expensive
      About UAV or ROV without umbilical I think there are several movements of the industry in that direction.

PS.: this forum ih great.
    PSS.: to _Glaucus_ : University of Porto, Campus for Marine Science and Technologies. Depending on the results of the survey we can make a lot of things: Propose a new system to a manufacturing company, help some manufacturers change the design of some systems.

What I’m find very strange is that the industry never listened to the ROV pilots in the designing of the systems. My personal opinion is that with the help of the ROV community is possible to obtain feedback for the manufacturing of these control systems. This is not new! Every company has to obtain feedback from the market. A happy ROV operator is an efficient one, I believe.

Ray Shields
    Participant

A system to feed the data (video and such) off the control van for non operators in other room
    CRT’s (???? really!? you still use CRTs??)
    useless-one-function-at-a-time-touch screens ( I would love to know more about this)

We have a system to feed video etc to other places, the complaint is that people STILL insist in coming to the CV or in where the ROv is controlled rather than use it.

CRTs – some of the cheaper LCD screens are rubbish with video (fine with computer generated stuff). Many ROVs still use CRTs, they are being replaced with LCDs but as long as they keep working they continue to be used.

Touch screens are not very good when you are working with oily hands which is usually the case with people who work with any Workclass system! That is the main problem with them, having to go through 3 levels of menus just to turn a light down is also ridiculous. All basic well used controls should be hard wired and easy to access.

Arlindo Silva
    Participant

Interesting forum. The ROV pilots are the must important part of the system. Good feedback about working conditions.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ray,

Re: touch screens… also the fact that you could not , in fact , dim or brighten 2 sets of lights at the same time, perform 2 arm functions at the same time, and any other simultaneous ops one could think of whilst using a touch screen… just go ahead and try it with your i-phones or any other device using a touch screen. Give me an array of switches, pots, slide pots, and (certain) joysticks anyday…

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I second that Scott 😀
    Switches and Knobs 🙂
    Not pussy fingertip buttons 😀

luckyjim37
    Participant

I quite like touch screens after a couple of years of using them constantly. The big bug bear with them is when the function is changed but the touch screen name is not updated. Or when you have a couple of touch screeens and have to update them individually due to them not synching.

Oily hands may be an issue but that is a housekeeping issue as opposed to an equipment issue. Also if you comply with most companies health and safety policies and wear gloves when working on deck you should never get oily hands anymore 🙂

T-Boy
    Participant

As far as the un-umbilical concept goes 💡 ;

If a fault arrises, then the sub would go into a ‘self heal’ mode and if that was unsuccessful, then would change to a user preset emergency recovery position/mode (This would have been uploaded pre or during launch).
    All the data for location is also fed via acoustic link integrated with DGPS for reasonable accuracy.

Touch screens in the offshore environment is a tough one, as the technology evolves though, this will be the route, saves a lot of space and hardware.

The sytems that I mentioned in an earlier post were so reliable, just fed in your data via aco link or do it the old fashioned style (Rememebr the expesive BigTrak 6 wheeled toy from the 80’s?) via waterproof keyboard.

I digress a little, but looking at the worlds’ thirst for knowledge and our lack of it when it comes to our oceans, how long will it be before Google will have Google Seas, and Google Trench view?

I can see any constellation of stars from Google Sky maps app, Google street view, but sod all about the other 71% of our planet! There is a need there alone for for more technologically advanced ROV’s to map that little lot!

I still think you should include in your project a Massage chair and Foot spa! You would of course have it LOTO’d when working on HV 🙄 😯

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

I digress a little, but looking at the worlds’ thirst for knowledge and our lack of it when it comes to our oceans, how long will it be before Google will have Google Seas, and Google Trench view?

T-Boy,

Here it is…

http://earth.google.com/ocean/

Chief

luckyjim37
    Participant

The Irish have just finished a massive mapping project around the coast which has taken years to complete.

One of the big reasons manufacturers dont listen to the industry regarding design is that the guys in the design departments think they know best with degrees and a cad programme so what would us guys who use the equipment know.

The other thing is there is probably not that much feedback to the actual people who would use that information in a way which would benefit the end user.

I think would be usefull some kind of system reading currents, like doppler system. The ROV would be easier to keep stable, auto current positioning. Would bring a fast reaction and more reliable than any positioning system.

That would be added to auto heading and auto gyro. Also auto depth and auto altitude.

I think would be interesting to implement and with actual technology… I’ve been working with a doppler reader 30cm diam 80cm lenght.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Errr , Fraile………………………………….. 😕
    We have been doing that for years 😆

Auto current?

I’ve only worked in one system with doppler in the TMS but bringing information on screen. Not an auto function.

Where have you worked with that stability system???

I’m a cable guy and with small experience in offshore. Is a bit embarrassing for me if I’ve never hear about that. 🙄

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Fraille,

Since you have admitted you have little knowledge of the system I can put one of my (sometimes droll) cliches in here…. "The only stupid question is a question not asked…."

The doppler systems on some ROV’s works in conjunction with every flight plane axis (3 axes) control systems used to control the vehicle. The Doppler will keep the vehicle stable / stationary at whatever "sample and hold" parameters the Doppler system "viewed" it at. Any extraneous forces – current, etc. – will be counter-acted by the "sample & hold" circuitry.

DANFROV
    Keymaster

What about an Auto pilot system like Seebyte’s which is called Co pilot.
    Not much skill required to guide your ROV to any location subsea if you have the right sensor and sonar.

DanF

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar