Home Forums General General Board Survey to ROV transfer

Survey to ROV transfer

Home Forums General General Board Survey to ROV transfer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wannabeROV
    Participant

ive worked offshore as a survey engineer for the last 2 years and have decided to try for a move to ROV.

is there anyone out there who has made a similar move? if so did they feel confident enough to pitch themselves as a qualified tech or did they start as a trainee? also do ROV personnel and companies consider survey engineers to have the qualities and skills required for ROV? obviously i have my own opinions but id be interested to hear what you guys have to think. cheers, thanks for any help.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I didn’t make the switch, as mentioned above (probably very few have), but have the following to offer….

Based on the above you already have a tech type background, familiar with ships, how systems work onboard, subsea positioning etc. Add to that your time already spent offshore and you would most likely have a head start over someone that similar qualifications but has no offshore time. Worth a try I would suggest.

IMHO You should still aim at trainee level as your entry point. Two years survey would not give you the skills to ‘transfer’ to PT overnight and it wouldn’t be fair for you to assume it would. First go in at trainee level, gte some experience with ROV systems/Ops, prove yourself as useful on the sticks/tech wise, and no doubt you would see accelerated promotion in today’s climate.

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Hey Dude,

Don’t know how you could presume to walk straight into a ROV position as a ROV Tech? Having a tech background and possibly meeting the relative IMCA ENTRY LEVEL REQUIREMENTS do not qualify you for PT2/1 etc. You need to complete the IMCA or company competency requirements (incl. flying hrs.) for any grading above Trainee.

I don’t want to discourage you, but unless you’ve actually worked on ROV’s offshore or in a w/shop, as well as actually piloted them, aim a little lower … Trainee. That’s where the rest of us have had to start. Your time/life offshore will be of course be of assistance to settle into any new position and routine that goes along with it.

Get a well prepared CV and start door knocking when you’re on the beach. Unless you’ve got ROV experience, you probably won’t get replies to any emails, you’ll have to approach them directly.

Don’t forget that companies want people that can actually fix and maintain their systems. That’s why they want mostly personnel with a previous trade (i.e. elect/ hyd/mech), so less effort to learn the ROV system itself. Highlight any of these areas if you manage to get an interview etc., or build on your weak areas with some courses.

Best of luck, and don’t give up.

wannabeROV
    Participant

thanks for the info guys appreciate it, youve basically confirmed what i was thinking, i certainly didnt assume i would just walk into a ROV tech position.

back to being a trainee then, hopefully.

youre right about not getting a reply to emails but what do you mean approaching companies directly? handing my cv over to a receptionist? would you recommend offshore recruitment agencies? i have a cv prepared but im not convinced its what is required when applying for an ROV position, would anyone be willing to take a quick look at it or point me in the direction of an example on the internet?

i have limited knowledge of ROV companies having only worked with Technip, ISS, Hallin and Fugro, are there any companies that are currently recruiting? are there any companies you would recommend as offering particularly good training? is there anywhere i can get a comprehenshive list of ROV companies?

and lastly, what courses would you recommend? ive looked into the one at fort william but after having read the posts on here relating to it it sounds like i’d be better forgetting about that. ive a degree in electrical and electronic engineering so i reckon my theory in that field is reasonably strong, are there such things as aluminum welding or basic hydraulic theory courses availaible? ive contacted city and guilds but no joy. thanks again for any help.

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Wannabe,

Yep, getting past that receptionist will be your first challenge to get those 5 mins of any Project/Ops Managers time. Even if you have to wait there all day or return another time! If you manage to get a trial, some workshop may be incl for training or to see how you fit in.

Remember to be honest, it’ll show up if you’re not, and if you don’t know, say so, and ask politely if someone could please show you how. Senior Tech/Sup etc. don’t want to teach you anything if you’re not willing to listen. Don’t lmit yourself to your current geographical area.

If you have to get to the Middle East / Singapore etc to door knock and even eventually relocate, do it. Gives you more options. You’re unlikely to get through that firewall/receptionist via phone.

I’m not sure about the CV, but I would stress more of that elect/electronics background and any HANDS ON you’ve done as well as being previously offshore, not 2 yrs sitting in front of a PC. ROVs are about getting your hands ‘dirty’, not designing.

An ROV course is not essential but would show any Manager that you’re committed to switch. Some kind of hydraulics/mech knowledge would be helpful. Not sure if you need the al welding cert? Not sure where you’re based, I do believe courses have been brought up many time on this site. Try searching the forum or Google futher! Assume you’ve already got the BOSIET & medical or similar, and current? Oceaneering do give good training if you actually manage to get on any of the courses, you could be required more for operational requirements.

Don’t forget that the Trainee (and PT2) salary/day rate is not that flash, like all things, cannot get ROV experience overnight. Agencies generally don’t want inexperienced techs, so apply to them a couple of years time.

As for companies, try;
    http://www.ronsrovlinks.nl/modules/wflinks/viewcat.php?cid=5
    http://www.imca-int.com/members/rov.html

Guys here aren’t going to do all the work for you, make steps to do it yourself first.

Remember that a lot of opportunities are "Right Time – Right Place", so be persistent without annoying. If you believe you’ve got the right stuff, don’t give up.

wannabeROV
    Participant

thanks for all that mate, all good stuff, im based in Aberdeen so getting to offices and courses shouldnt be a problem.

i realise im no doubt going to have take a pay cut but i think it’ll be worth it to do a job i really want to do.

im not looking for anyone to do anything for me just asking for a few pointers.

ok mate i think youve answered all my questions for the time being, thanks for your help i really appreciate you taking the time.

downthere
    Participant

I made the transfer myself.

As per the advice from others, your experience from the survey world would only be a foot in the door you would be first level trainee no higher.

Best bet is for you to try and get in with a company who do a lot of survey work with thier vehicles (Subsea7, Fugro and DOF). These companyies might be interested in your abilities however bear in mind they are very short of Survey Techs and have trainee applicants coming out of their ears. Its likely they would try to persuade you towards that role.

I got my transfer by getting a trainee job elsewhere and resigning. My boss then relented and gave me a start as a trainee ROV pilot with my original company. best move I made careerwise.

I know 7 other lads who did the same. All good techs and none of them have looked back since.

best of luck

wannabeROV
    Participant

thanks for the reply, its good to hear that survey techs are capable of making the move to ROV. i think it’d take a lot of persuasion to make me stay on as a survey tech if i had any chance of ROV. ive had enough of being the least active person onboard! (ive been doing a lot of dive support!)

how did you find the initial transition? did you find you were at a disadvantage or advantage to other trainees who had come from different backgrounds and disciplines?

luckyjim37
    Participant

Don’t forget the smaller companies as well, Hallin, ISS, TS Marine and the like.

The biggest problem it seems at the moment is that the industry has exploded and there are so many trainees out there the crews offshore are badly diluted when you consider the normal skill levels on a system.

You would probably be an asset as a trainee compared to some of the guys who are coming through. At least you will know about ship safety and general life away from home.

You will probably have seen an ROV as well which is one up on a couple of guys I have met in the last year.

Send out C.V’s then follow up with phone calls a couple of days later. That was how I managed to get hold of op’s managers ears when I started.

Realistically though you should be able to get accross withougt to much hassle you already hold offshore medical and survivals I presume which means you could go offshore immediatley. In the current climate that could make the difference between you and a guy walking in with his shiney new quallifications straight out of college.

Good Luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar