The Underwater center or SubNetServices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mido
    Participant

can any experienced ROV pilot please tell me which one is better as matter of reputation and does it really count where am I certified from in having a job ?

ROVrids
    Participant

NOT Subnet!!!

liddelljohn
    Participant

subnet are not very good

mido
    Participant

can you guyz please tell me why ?!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Please use the search facility on this website to find other messages/threads which mention Fort William and Subnet, there have been many discussions about them before.

Subnet in particular has had a lot of comment as the amount of money you pay is high versus the training you are given which is very poor. Most other ROV TRaining Schools are not very highly thought of amongst ROV cmpanies and personnel as they generally only give you a brief introduction to ROVs and some try and tell you you will be a fully qualified ROV pilot after doing their course which of course you will not.

Unless you already have a GOOD technical qualification and experience background, having done an ROV Training course on its own in ANY training school will almost count for absolutely nothing amongst most ROV companies and you would have wasted your time and money.

That is not to say some of the better schools out there do have a place in assisting certain qualified people to get jobs.

mido
    Participant

Ray,
    You guys mention a lot that those schools are of no good use in return of the big bucks paid for it, so what alternatives do I have to step into the ROV world? Please advice. On the other hand what are the GOOD technical qualifications needed for this job considering that I’m an electronics and communications engineer, I mean if there are certain things I should revise or read more about, please mention, and thx for your help. Mido

blackbeard
    Participant

dont waste your $$$

IF your going to get a start in rov the best way is to knock on doors / call / e mail, if they like your cv they will interview you, if they dont they wont even if you have been to fort bill ect.

Anonymous

Mido
    Have you been around to ROV companies (knocking doors) or just sent out CV and hope the best? And did you follow up on the CV you sent? Remember they probably get a lot of CV every day. And if you don’t have the OPS mail address it could be hard to get past the first Lady in the bunker, try to find the right mail address.

mido
    Participant

Okay let me state the following, I’m an Egyptian guy who lives in Egypt, a country that has nothing to do or to know about the ROV field, so the knocking on the doors thing would require me to jump from a country to another which is money wise ridiculous ,on the other hand, me myself no nothing yet concerning ROV piloting, I watched lots of videos and read lots of articles but overall, zero hour hands on piloting which gives the conclusion of UNQUALIFIED, so I thought of the ROV piloting schools, I mean why the hell should a company hire an electronics engineer for a ROV pilot post who has no clue in piloting…that’s the question I’m asking

deepseacon
    Participant

http://www.sapesco.com/en/services/sos/default.aspx

check the out the offshore side of the company sapesco has an office in the duty free zone in Cairo contact them go ask the what your chance is of work as a trainee after you have been to FW.

there are a few companies operating locally in eygpt with eygptians

mido
    Participant

thx buddy,but how would that help me be a ROV pilot ?

ROVrids
    Participant

If you have not had any experience with ROV’s then you will have to show a good technical backround such as electronics and/or hydraulics and mechanical skills. Any company that hires you as a trainee, which is all you will be to start with, will expect you not to have the piloting skills and will train you in time. You must first show you are able to do the technical jobs that keep the ROV working. If you have a good technical backround it will make life easier for you.

When it comes to getting the job remember it won’t come to you!!! I live in the UK and while it is closer to the north sea industry than Egypt I was prepared and did on a few occasions go abroad to knock on doors. Singapore, malaysia, the US and Thailand were all places I wend to knock on doors. The cost off all the trips was no more than an overpriced course in the Philippines! Without those trips I doubt I would be working now and unfortunately it’s what you may need to do. If you do get a job via email only you will a very very lucky man. Especially in these current times.

That said, don’t just jump on a plane without doing your homework first. Make appointments and work smart.
    Best of luck…

mido
    Participant

ROVrids,i’d like to thank u alot,ur the kinda guyz i’d like to get to know inthis industry,to help me cut my way through this field.I’d like to know:
    how old r u?
    how long have u been workin?
    how is it goin so far?
    where do u work?
    what is the minimum day rate accepted for a trainee?
    are u a trainee or a ROV pilot now?
    what electronics special qualifications should i have?
    what hydraulics special qualifications should i have?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Okay let me state the following, I’m an Egyptian guy who lives in Egypt, a country that has nothing to do or to know about the ROV field, so the knocking on the doors thing would require me to jump from a country to another which is money wise ridiculous ,on the other hand, me myself no nothing yet concerning ROV piloting, I watched lots of videos and read lots of articles but overall, zero hour hands on piloting which gives the conclusion of UNQUALIFIED, so I thought of the ROV piloting schools, I mean why the hell should a company hire an electronics engineer for a ROV pilot post who has no clue in piloting…that’s the question I’m asking

I lived/worked in Egypt for 3 years in Maadi working for Fugro/Sapesco. Firstly, there ARE ROVs in Egypt. look up Fugro Egypt for a start. Sapesco dont have ROVs but they do have offshore surveyors. Fugro are also in other Middle East countries.

You seem to think PILOTING the ROV is the big thing – it is not. No-one starts as an ROV Pilot knowing how to fly, you learn it on the job. The job is Pilot TECHNICAN. The ROV is a piece of equipment that requires technical people to maintain and repair it, the flying comes along as you do the job.

For information 4 years ago Egyptians were paid (when employed by an Egyptian company) equivalent of £5000 a year and £30 a day offshore allowance, it should be more than that by now.

Payrates vary significantly all around the world., It depends where you are working and what nationality you are. For example a Norwegian will get paid more when working in Norway than someone from the UK working in Norway. Someone from the UK will get paid more for working in Egypt than an Egyptian will get paid working in Egypt. You cannt satate a specific payrate.

You require a suitable technical qualification and technical background. I do not know equivalent Egyptian qualifications, but up to one step below a Degree in either electrical/electronic OR Hydraulic should be a suitable start. You do not require to be both electrical and hydraulic (at least to start with but will later on) as thats how everyone else starts.

You require to have used your technical qualifications carrying out a job which has used these qualifications – a service technician etc. so that you can show you have the experience of getting your hands dirty with electrics or hydraulics.

however – you are competing with many MANY others who also want the same job you want.

If you read through the Rookies section, you will see many threads and messages about ROV Training schools. Many companies and people do not think they are of much use, they are thought to not give much knowledge or skills to a person and therefore do not count for much when applying for a job.

mido
    Participant

Dear Ray,
    Thx alot for the sincere info. that gave me the conclusion of having the technical qualifications needed for the job and applying in so many companies,thats it right ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar