Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training The Underwater Centre (Fort William) – Course Feedback

The Underwater Centre (Fort William) – Course Feedback

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training The Underwater Centre (Fort William) – Course Feedback

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    PaulB
    Participant

Note from Forum admin: This post was split away, from the discussion on Subnet Services, to create another topic for The Underwater Centre (Fort William) – Course Feedback. This action was taken to prevent the Subnet services topic going off topic. Please feel free to discuss The Underwater Centre (Fort William) below.

Hi Des_b,
    Thanks for your input.

8-12 on the course, we all finished but as I wrote only the four of us that I know of got jobs – only because I lost touch with the others. Skills wise, the other guys who got jobs were: degree student in enviro studies and geography (If he’s reading this, sorry TJB if I got it wrong ) , ex merchant seamen mechie and the other guy was (i think) a gym instructor in his last job, but I cant be sure of that. Again if he reads this sorry M if I got it wrong!!!!
    The other guys – 2 french guys one was a ex navy sparky, a ex fishing boat captain and a WO2 from the guards who was leaving the army in a years time. I dont know what happened with them……

There was another course being run staggered to ours but I have no idea on the skill base or success rate. I imagine the pass rate was almost 100%, Paul Bury will be able to clarify that, as he is the chief instructor there.

In reply to Des_b,
    From the two classes (ROV 88 and ROV 89) of 8 and 4 to which you refer, the last that I was aware, LP is with Fugro, BT is with Searov, DM is with ISS, MM popped in to Fort William three weeks ago to say "Hello", and he is with Hallin Marine, TB emailed me yesterday saying he will be offshore for another 7 days – he didn’t say who with though, JG has been working offshore and had an interview with TS Marine and I haven’t heard since, so that is 7 out of 8 who I know have secured work offshore. In the other class of 4, SB is with Canyon, BK is working for Subocean. I have never heard from GE, ED or NM. If they are reading this, please let me know how you are getting along, and/or if you need any help. (If anyone has moved on since I compiled this data – sorry)

That is at least 9 out of 12 ex-Fort William students (including yourself) who have secured work from the period when you were with us.

Despite what a small minority of "knockers" say, these are facts that the "experts" on this site fail to mention. As some of you will know – I carried out a survey in February. We had a 25% response rate of 60 ex-students out of about 250. Between 75% and 80% of our ex-students over a three year period have secured ROV work! Des_b’s class is typical. The vast majority of successful ex-students never return to this web site to share their experience since they consider it is full of b.s. and self-opinionated prima-donnas who try brow-beating them or give them abuse. I have hundreds of emails saying as much from my ex-students.

If anyone wants some more facts and figures, please have a look at my other postings – there are now 10 I think. This may put things into perspective.

As many of you will see, there is a lot of information and mis-information on this website (that is the nature of anonymous forums) where some people/organisations use such media to discredit others for their own purposes.

Paul Bury
    Head of ROV Training & Operations,
    The Underwater Centre (Fort William)
    Email; info@theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    Tel (+44)(0) 1397 703 786

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar