Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Train at an ROV school or not?

Train at an ROV school or not?

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Train at an ROV school or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    fishbowl
    Participant

Well, well, well !

People with experience that does not want to share his knowledge ! Just my personnel opinion. I’ Am working offshore as a diver. I was able to achieve a lot because very experienced people shared their knowledge. First hand it made myself aware of danger we must face everyday as diver. This is the only way to build a team of professionals.

ROV is very interesting but to my view of very little use if you don’t know how to use them. The task at hand must be the center point of any ROV ops. Flange inspection, trenching, NCA decommissioning plate-forms, geological survey, etc are all projects and sciences that must be understood before any what to be is getting involved. One thing that is not possible to learn at any school or in house training ( Common senses !!! )

To me the I don’t share knowledge because it’s all for himself fight fly jack $$h11tttt.

My advise to any one that want’s to get in ROV is run away. Go get a degree in engineering, mathematics, computer programming or geology. All are given at the best university around the world and you will be surrounded by very attractive women and very good coffee from the near by coffee shop.

Best of luck to all want to be rov team players

fishbowl

Middle East

Anonymous

As you said you are a diver NOT an ROV pilot/tech so do us a favour and go and go and play with your flogging spanner……

fishbowl
    Participant

Sorry,

I didn’t mean to hurt your feeling’s. Just last month I had to dive in the Middle East to recover a observation class ROV that was tangle in the jacket legs from a plate-form. That was not the first time that happen. Diver and rov operator are to be used together. There is thing’s that can’t be done by divers and other that can be done by ROV.

Even if I’ Am a diver I do have a great interest in ROV ops. Just to let you know that I do start my own observation class ROV company. Sticking to diving for the extra money needed to get support from Gov’t authority to buy the first ROV.

I do think that divers could make very good ROV operator since they understand the environment they work in. Have you ever bean caught in heavy swell or tides ? 🙄 I mean underwater yourself !!!

My main interest is geology. There is place on this planet that divers can’t work having ROV is therfore very interesting. Don’t forget that the topic was about ROV school !!! Which I think should be avoided. This is why I was suggesting to get a degree and then apply to ROV company with a good resume.

Cheer’s

F.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

As you said you are a diver NOT an ROV pilot/tech so do us a favour and go and go and play with your flogging spanner……

This website is not just for ROV people but for anyone interested in ROV’s. It is not a closed shop and therefore the poster you were referring to has as much right to be here and offer an opinion as you do.

On the subject of sharing knowledge with trainees… It should be done, and has been done for years, and I am pleased that there are many people out there that will help the new people along, especially if they have the right attitude.

Those that manage to secure a job offshore without attending an ROV course can rest assured you will get help from those around you with experience. Those that will not impart the knowledge, they picked up from somewhere, are thankfully few and far between.

best regards
    James Mc
    (Ex Sat Diver)

fishbowl
    Participant

Thank you James,

This web site is the one I just can’t pass a day without reading. Great exchanges from all the interested ROV people.

As an add-on comment I would like to state that there is nothing more comforting than having an ROV near buy when we do sensible burning ops on a live plate-form ! Working has a team diver and ROV operator made the work safer and more professional.

Thank’s to all devoted ROV ops ( Hyd Tech,tool tech,Pilot and deck hands )

Cheer’s

Diver-welder

Fishbowl

Anonymous

Iam sorry Fishbowl,but i can tell you EX Divers only make good ROV pilots
    and TECHNICIANS if they have completed a trade apprenticeship or training……Anyone can pick up a spanner and tighten a nut,or tie wrap cables…Most other technical jobs require the tradesman to have completed an apprenticeship.I dont fully understand what it is with ROV,s and why this is not the most important requirement that the companys want??.All very strange..Maybe this is why the rates are so shite.

Anonymous

Maybe this is why the rates are so shite because the ROV industry is classed as a SEmi Skilled profession rather than a highly skilled profession..

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The subject of this topic is:

Train at an ROV school or not?

To all:
    Please stay on topic or start another thread, or don’t post.

kevnewby
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am looking to break into the ROV world 😈 , I have a technincal background after leaving the RAF of 7 years service as an electrical/electronic engineer and working as a telecommunications technician. Yet I am doing an Electrical and Electronic Engineering HNC to better myself 😯 .

Yet I see the only way to get ahead would be to do an ROV Pilot course at Fort William. It does seem like robbery £5.5k for 3 weeks trainng plus B&B.

But what other option does a person like me have to tip the scale in my favour of newcomer??

Savante
    Participant

James,

here’s an idea…. looking at the ROV training school thing from a different angle.

What if you put up a poll permanently along the lines of "….

1. Where did you attend?
    2. How long did it take you to get a job?
    3. Would you do it this way again?

Make a distinction between people self-funding and those going through a company (I know Fugro send their trainees there on a modifed course).

My old granny used to say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". 😆

A lot of new-school trainees use this site as a resource, but perhaps this would be a most informative method of communicating things across.

You never know, the results may buck the common consensus.

turtle
    Participant

Hey Savante I like that. Get some feedback from those that have taken a private course and those that came in the business directly. Nothing scientific but good to hear the good bad ‘n ugly from real live "been there/done that" reports.

Micbeth
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am looking to break into the ROV world 😈 , I have a technincal background after leaving the RAF of 7 years service as an electrical/electronic engineer and working as a telecommunications technician. Yet I am doing an Electrical and Electronic Engineering HNC to better myself 😯 .

Yet I see the only way to get ahead would be to do an ROV Pilot course at Fort William. It does seem like robbery £5.5k for 3 weeks trainng plus B&B.

But what other option does a person like me have to tip the scale in my favour of newcomer??

Kev,

If the quals you have don’t do it for you then the course is a waste of time. In my recent experience with a bigger player in the industry it is your contacts in the industry that tips the balance. We all hate nepotism but it seems to be a big factor at the moment when the number of applicants greatly outweighs the number of trainee places. Personally anyone with your quals and subsequent experience would be welcome to work with me as a trainee. It is not only the qualifications that help the team, it is the subsequent experience in your field of expertise that brings the strength. If you have quals and 7 years experience in a technical repair/maintenance environment then you are perfectly suited to the work environment with ROVs. The living environment may be a completely different thing, but we put up with all sorts if they can do the job.

kevnewby
    Participant

Micbeth

I have spent a lot of the past couple of years in the desert and other such pleasent enviroments, working in arduous, cramped and generally in nasty hovels. Normally with limited logistics for prolonged periods.

I am going for my medical the 27th and hoping to get the survival course booked for 2 weeks after then I’m ready to go.

Please if you could help me in any way at all, I would love a chance to learn the ropes, diversity and get to speed with things.

MrSilent
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am looking to break into the ROV world 😈 , I have a technical background after leaving the RAF of 7 years service as an electrical/electronic engineer and working as a telecommunications technician. Yet I am doing an Electrical and Electronic Engineering HNC to better myself 😯 .

Yet I see the only way to get ahead would be to do an ROV Pilot course at Fort William. It does seem like robbery £5.5k for 3 weeks training plus B&B.

Kevin apply to the companies first you have what they are looking for. First your military experience they love that. Next you are a telecoms engineer they also love that.

As far as the training course is concerned it is a lot of money but for me it got me a job in the ROV industry, no military experience you see only an electrical/telecom background ( don’t even consider it if you have no technical background ). If you were to go down that route (BUT APPLY TO COMPANIES FIRST) FW is almost certainly the best out of the bunch since a major player sends all their trainees there.

kevnewby
    Participant

MrSilent

Thanks for the advice, to be honest I don’t have the money for the course at Fort William so going in to debt for a course which don’t gaurentee a job isn’t feesable at this time. But if it did guarentee a job then I’d be on the next one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar