Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training question

Training question

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Colin Anthony
    Participant

Hello, I am currently working in aviation as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Canada. I am intrested in changing careers and ROV’s seem very intresting. I am wondering what training facility has a good industry name. I have a lot of electrical and mechanical experence in my current trade working on large aircraft. Thanks

liddelljohn
    Participant

Stick to Aviation mate this industry is going to the dogs .

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Seconded!!!

Robert Branch
    Participant

Forget it mate..The industry is dead as a Dodo..I cant imagine there would be a single company that will ever take on any trainees again…already too may and no work for everyone..

subman
    Participant

Dont waste your money ! Stick with your current job .

Cheers

subman

Craig
    Participant

I’m in a similar situation mate. I’ve recently finished a career as an avionics technician in the RAF and i’ve sent myself back to college to get some decent further qualifications. I just finished an engineering HNC and nearly finished a HND but i’m hearing from many people that this industry is now difficult to get into. My brother in law is an OIM and even he says there are better career routes to go down. I’ve now decided to pursue any offshore field engineer position that’ll take me based on my qualifications/experience. It’s a shame because I had my heart set on ROV’s but the current economic climate dictates what jobs are available and the ROV job situation seems to be quite volatile at the moment. Perhaps it will improve over the next year though?
    As an aside, i’ve been following this forum for some time now and i’d take some of the comments from some of the ‘old timers’ on here with a pinch of salt. I get the impression that some people are rather afraid of losing work to new guys coming onto the scene, so as a fellow outsider i’d recommend conducting as much of your own research on the job situation as possible, and maybe do the same as me and phone around companies asking for current information.

luckyjim37
    Participant

The industry is a bit flooded with trainees that is for sure. You would be better off applying direct to companies and see what happens.

There are also a lot of other technical offshore jobs you should look at because as much as it sticks in all our throats this industry is in a bad place at the moment with to many trainees, a massive influx of cheap labour (apparently) and what appears to be a workforce with a growing negative attitude.

Good luck.

DARRELL HEALD
    Participant

Hi All
    This is my first posting, (As I am a Newbie to the site). I have spent many hours reading and browsing through many threads as suggested by Jamemc and all the other guys, I would like to say thanks to all the old guys who regularly answer questions from countless newbie’s who cannot pin back their ears and take simple advice from the Guys who have been around the block a few times.
    As for any newbie like Me I would suggest they create a file and research all the fields applicable to the ROV world before posting repetitive and mundane questions, for example find out about the different types of ROV / Training courses / Industry desirables/ Industry outlook over the next few years ect. This would allow the experienced guys to give more directed advice to those who really want a job in the industry.
    By doing this I have already rationalised that that the courses offered by various training establishments are but a brief insight into the world of ROV and at the moment are not sufficient to allow access to employment without previous technical knowledge and hands on experience. The outlook at the moment for ROV technicians is bleak however if you look on the net there is the prospect of many more ROV jobs being created outside the oil and gas industry in the future.
    As a Newbie myself I’m asking the fundamental questions what can I offer the ROV industry rather than the common question “Give us a Job”, or “Put us In contact with someone who can”.
    I have read various threads in this website and would like to pose a question (If I may) to the old hands and prospective employers out there “would I stand a chance of a job “in the ROV industry” as I have the relevant experience and qualifications listed below;
    Having completed 23 years service in the Submarine Service I have gained extensive knowledge and hands on experience on maintaining & in depth defect rectification on the following systems;
    1. BTEC HND in Electronic and Electrical engineering (extra units at level H in Pneumatics and Hydraulics).
    2. C & G 2330 level 1 – 3 in Electro technical Technology
    3. C & G 2391- 10 Instillation Inspection and testing
    4. C & G 2382 17 th Regs
    5. PRINCE2 practitioner.
    6. ILM Level 4 (Leadership & Management)
     Sonar 2046 / 2076 RCS / IFF
     Echo Sounders KELVIN Hughes 780 / 778 / 183
     Radar Outfits 1006, 1007 (digitised Raster processors ect )
     Hydraulics Mast and Periscopes (Control / Interlock Blocks ect)
     Communications (UHF/LF/VHF/ HF ect) plethora of units.
     Water Ram Discharge System (Fires Torpedoes Using Pneumatics / Hydraulic/Electrical)
     Weapons ( Torpedo/Tomahawk ) MK 24/ Spearfish (Explosive safety ect )
     Submerged signal ejectors ect.
     Risk Assessor Qualified.
     ADLEE Qualified (Lifting Plant Examination )
     ITQ/EDCL Qualified
     Kettles/Train The Trainer (Teaching Quals)
     Training Design (Analysis of Training / Instructional Design)
     CRB (advanced check)
     DV cleared (TOP SECRET)
     NBCD 25 Advanced Fire Fighting Course. (Instructor)
     Practical experience in Welding / Turning & Milling.
     NDT Testing

Plus Many More mod accredited qualifications

I am Currently Starting a B (Eng) in Engineering with the OU to consolidate and quantify the practical and lifelong learning experience I have gained over the years( OU B65).
    I would be great full of any advice from the “Old Salts “out there and any prospective employers on possibility of employment within the ROV Industry.
    Many Regards
    Abyss666

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hi Abyss,

As I’ve advised others, keep trying. You have a good set of quals there plus a rather deep (excuse the pun) and extensive military background – a good plus to have in my book! Work is picking up throughout the industry and yes, there are some companies that would most likely take you on. Try to avoid HR when at all possible. Don’t quit your day job yet but continue to try. Pm me if you’d like…

T-Boy
    Participant

You get my vote…

 Kettles/Train The Trainer (Teaching Quals)

Splash of milk, no sugar…Ta muchly 😉

The WAF system/structure is polar opposite to an offshore career.
    Out here there is no structure, it’s all over the place, hectic in comparison.

The things that you need to sell to a company and not to a forum are; Response-ability, Dynamisism, ‘can do’ attitude, ‘Jack of all’, able to think quick and fast on your feet, built in spatial awreness, fault find and rectify pretty much everything from kettles, radars, radios, printers, PC’s, crane hydraulics and ROV’s to name but a few.

It great having the certificates, it’s a different quality being able to apply the theory out in the field.

Being couped up like a convict for 4 weeks, covered in oil, in the peeing rain, no amenitites, no internet and then beeing told your relief will be joining 2 weeks late, is not everyones cup of tea.

There are always ROV jobs happening. Every day of the year, worldwide. You want to be in it well, that’s proportional to the effort you put into finding your way into the industry.

It can be frustrating to find this ‘hole’ but it is there. Read the forums, digest and if you’re worth your salt then you will come up trumps I’m sure.

Not trying to put you off, just giving you a wee snapshot of what it can be like!

G ‘n T-Boy

DARRELL HEALD
    Participant

🙂 Hi T-Boy / Scotbeve,

Many thanks for the tips and pointers, all hoisted on board will continue to search for that elusive break.

Regards Abyss6666 :tup:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar