training

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    reddevils
    Participant

I appreciate that this is a repost that will bore alot, but if anybody is willing to provide some assisstance I would be grateful. I have navigated through the website, to find the answers and will again too.
    Is it better to pay for a course with a training agency to learn about ROVs or to try and get a placement with a company.
    Are the courses any good or just expensive add ons which doesn’t make you employable?
    If that is the only route in, what is the best school or course to take?
    If not who are good companies to approach, is anybody hiring presently or is it seasonal?
    I’m interested in the building and servicing of ROVs, as well as driving although I imagine that to be a long way off.
    I am an electrical contractor by trade and want a career change, if not to old at 32yrs. I’m prepared for the studying.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I appreciate that this is a repost that will bore alot, but if anybody is willing to provide some assisstance I would be grateful. I have navigated through the website, to find the answers and will again too.
    Is it better to pay for a course with a training agency to learn about ROVs or to try and get a placement with a company.
    Are the courses any good or just expensive add ons which doesn’t make you employable?
    If that is the only route in, what is the best school or course to take?
    If not who are good companies to approach, is anybody hiring presently or is it seasonal?
    I’m interested in the building and servicing of ROVs, as well as driving although I imagine that to be a long way off.
    I am an electrical contractor by trade and want a career change, if not to old at 32yrs. I’m prepared for the studying.

If you have read through the site I am surprised that you are asking the same question as many have asked and had answered.

It is beter to try and get a placement with a company – THEY (well, all the big players) will then put you through their training course.

Doing the training course on its own hardly ever gets you a job. You MUST have suitable technical qualifications and experience. Many have found that they have laid out thousands of pounds of their own money, got jobs as trainees and either everyone else is sent on the course they have just done or have to go through another training course provided by the new employer anyway.

Some courses have good feedback, some courses have absolutely terrible reviews by people (read the threads on here) and appear to be an absolute waste of money.

All major companies are hiring, the constantly take people on. This does not mean it is easy to get a job. For example out of 500 people applying, maybe 8 will be taken on – companies can only deal with so many trainees at a time.

One way into the ROV industry could be by getting a job at a company that builds or services ROVs or ROV equipment. If you got a job with, for eaxmple, Saab Seaeye or Perry Slingsby Systems, you would learn all about building ROVs plus after a suitable period of time would make you very employable by many ROV companies.

Google for addresses, contact details etc. for the companies.

mudflap276
    Participant

oceaneering likes to hire people who can be trained to their way of doing things. a few years ago, when i got into the industry, i had just retired from the navy and went to a Underwater Robotics Institute in texas. i went to an interview at oceaneering and they were hiring anyone who wasnt going to be picked up by someone else for more money. for instance, they hired a guy who did light installations for swimming pools. nothing bad about his job, but he wanted into the industry and only had that background and someone saw that he could be trained. they pay crap, but if you really want into the industry, its a start.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar