Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Undercutting the going rate to get work for yourself?

Undercutting the going rate to get work for yourself?

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Undercutting the going rate to get work for yourself?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

All I can say ROVASH is , Your loss 😕
    Credit crunch effects ……………. Yes ,
    Global recession……………………Yes ,
    Training schools……………………. Nah ,
    Start off new year ………………… Slow ,
    Market flooded with trainees ……………………..Yes ,
    Contracts cancelled ………………… Yes ,
    Contracts postponed in the last four months……………… Yes !
    I hope you succeed where alot will not 😯
    Will you get a job after you spend all that money on a course 😕
    Good luck 😉

rovash
    Participant

Cheers for the tip lostboy, im definitely considering my options!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Rock on , Dude 🙂

backwoods
    Participant

Let me put my two cents in, a lot of the school for ROVs are crap but the school will help you get a job. A lot of the companies recruit out of the schools so you have a good chance to walk out the door with a job. You will really have school when you get offshore. Just remember one thing, if you work hard and learn I mean really try to learn and have a good head on your shoulders you will always have a job in ROVs.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Unless you’re "Backwood" of course 🙂
    Then you will only get a job in the USofA for two cents 😯
    And a sore ass 😀

Anonymous

James,

Let get this one back on track. Some good points for the trainees here but the real undercutting is happening higher up, Sub Eng and Supervisor.

We’ve all seen it, most likely to occur when a guy has been recently promoted (often prematurely and/or is out of his depth). Goes cheap and get carried by the other guys. Agency or company still happy though…….

Add this phenomenon to the current situation of mortage/credit card/car payments due and there is a real problem. ‘ Yeah I’ll go for something rather than nothing ‘.

Have posted on a relative thread my extreme disappointment on what the guys in West Africa are earning compared to only a couple of years ago.

There does appear to be more resistance in Oz and Asia than in the UK though.

As you said, for the guys without these probs, we’ll wait it out. In the meantime can only hope for a bundle of lost vehicles from undercutting, inexperienced, cheap crews. Once the companies make a few insurance claims then maybe some value will be restored.

In the meantime for the guys who are competent operators, you are worth more than you think, no need to continue making a rod for all our backs….Go get what’s yours in 2009. TT

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

As tether trap stated above:

"As you said, for the guys without these probs, we’ll wait it out. In the meantime can only hope for a bundle of lost vehicles from undercutting, inexperienced, cheap crews. Once the companies make a few insurance claims then maybe some value will be restored.

In the meantime for the guys who are competent operators, you are worth more than you think, no need to continue making a rod for all our backs….Go get what’s yours in 2009. TT"

I totally agree, for those of you who are even considering it, just remember you’ll only be hurting yourself in the long term outlook. We (us older arsehools) will find out and frown upon this for some time to come. Some will not want you on the job, some will make it difficult for you, and lastly, others will NRB you whilst being your best buddy on the job…. give it a long hard think before you undercut anybody. I personally don’t mind charging companies exorbitant rates to recover lost vehicles – rock on under-cutters!!!

For mesef? I’ll wait, done it before, and will do it again!!! Read my other thread about having a side job / discipline / occupation.

T-Boy
    Participant

Some good points for the trainees here but the real undercutting is happening higher up, Sub Eng and Supervisor.

We’ve all seen it, most likely to occur when a guy has been recently promoted (often prematurely and/or is out of his depth). Goes cheap and get carried by the other guys. Agency or company still happy though…….

Ole’ Bums on seats scenario…old as the hills.

However, it explains why agencies are asking for ‘Junior Supervisors’…what’s all that then?
    What we really need is Supervisor I, II, and III 👿

The simple Pilot, Supervisor structure is being diluted to allow for agencies and undercutters to cover their arses, posed as Junior SupV’s.

It will only come round and bite all involved on the bum.

Here’s to many an ROV recovery 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar