Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance Using overseas ATM cards in Thailand

Using overseas ATM cards in Thailand

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance Using overseas ATM cards in Thailand

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    deepseacon
    Participant

The Thai Bankers’ Association have recently introduced ATM cash withdrawal fees for credit and debit cards registered outside of Thailand. The fee is 150 Baht per transaction and is being phased in from April 17, 2009. Please note that this new fee is a separate addition to any fees that your home bank may already charge for overseas ATM cash withdrawals.

The Thai Bankers’ Association has a pool of members which covers the main banks in Thailand and so it is going to be difficult for overseas visitors to avoid the fees at ATM machines. In theory, banks that are charging the 150 Baht withdrawal fee should pre-advise you on the ATM screen after you have entered your card details.

All the trouble they have here and now they bang this one in as well.

So now its bring Cash or transfer cash to your accounts here.

andyrose
    Participant

Hi guys,

Just for info the Adyuda bank (thats spelt wrong) – the one that has the bright yellow machines and logo – does not charge the 150 baht fee – so use them -maybe the others will get the hint!!

Thats 3 and 1/2 Tigers!!
    Andy

Anonymous

Hi
    Ayudhya bank, we call it the yellow bank
    dont know if they dont charge.

andyrose
    Participant

Definitely do not charge – use it all the time for that reason.

Only thing is the machine at the mini Tesco on Soi Siam country club in Pattaya – eats your bloody card (OK its slightly bent) and you have to go to big Tescos at Nua to plead for it back before they send it to your bank (twice in a week but that was a couple of months ago – no prob since)

Andy

scoots
    Participant

Bit of conflicting info here. In pattaya right now. Used hsbc sg card at khoa talo – ayudhya bank yesterday and was charged 150 bt. just read this thread and as i regularly extract coin outta these machines rang the bank -central festival pattaya beach branch in pattaya(ayudhya bank) and they told me that they definately do charge 150 bt to any overseas cards and that all banks in thailand do. the charge does no apply to thai bank cards though ??????

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Definitely do not charge – use it all the time for that reason.

Only thing is the machine at the mini Tesco on Soi Siam country club in Pattaya – eats your bloody card (OK its slightly bent) and you have to go to big Tescos at Nua to plead for it back before they send it to your bank (twice in a week but that was a couple of months ago – no prob since)
    Andy

These small stand alone machines have their drawbacks.

One thing about travelling with overseas cards, anywhere, is try and only use the card at banks where, should the card be kept by the machine, you can at least go in with your Passport and request they open the machine and return it to you. I’ve done that once or twice here in Portugal.
    Of course this method hinges around the bank being open or you being able to get to the bank when it is open, not always possible if you are on the move.

andyrose
    Participant

I left Pattaya on Monday night (25th) and used my card (Lloyds TSB) on Sunday and monday and no charge – all ther other ones I had used over the previous two months charged but the yellow one did not.

So not sure what has happened – unless they started charging this week. All the expats I know use the yellow bank because they have not been charging.

Maybe they have changed their policy.

Andy

scoots
    Participant

yeh just looked through a few thai forums and looks like ayudhya and government savings bank (gsb) are the last two that were not charging the fee. looking like yellow bank is givin in but sounds like one atm charging the next still not. not sure on gsb but id guess it will be uniform soon enough.

andyrose
    Participant

Oh well, just have to transfer money to Thai account – bugger!
    Its still cheaper than being in UK though.

Andy

liddelljohn
    Participant

ALL THE THAI BANKS ARE NOW CHARGING FEES TO USE NON THAI ATM CARDS

its another Thai Scam , and the IMF and world bank are not happy as it breaches international regulations ,,,,SomnomNA!!!!

Mind u the exchange rates here are 2% better than YUK

andyrose
    Participant

It does seem strange – tourism is down a massive amount, the baht rate is crap you would have thought now would be the time to encourage tourism not add extra charges and stifle it further.

Must be a different form of logic at play here.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Must be a different form of logic at play here.

TiT! This Is Thailand 🙂

andyrose
    Participant

Yes Ray, you are right – but it does have a lot of good points though and some terrific sightseeing!!

Andy

Ray Shields
    Participant

8 holidays there to date, Im all Thai’d out at the moment and busy yomping in California but I will be back 🙂

andyrose
    Participant

Ive lived there for the last couple of years and ive been Thaid Up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar