Home Forums General General Board VCA certificate????

VCA certificate????

Home Forums General General Board VCA certificate????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rovkaka
    Participant

hi all please inform me what is VCA certification an agency offered me a job but VCA (Dutch safety certificate) is a must??

what is that certificate, and which centers in UK approved to apply??
    thx and waitting for replay

Topdawg
    Participant

Don’t know if this course is given in the UK; I doubt it.

VCA is a safety certificate mandatory for all operation personnel in Holland. If you need to do the VCA-1 it requires minimum time studying (read: none at all) to pass. If it is VCA-2 (supervisors and higher) you actually need to open the book and read through it. The certificate is valid for 10 years.

Most ROV operators require a VCA-2 certificate, which will set you back around Euro 50,-. The company can supply you with the course book in English and maybe already book you for the exam.
    I did mine in a place near Den Helder (sorry forgot the name of the place, larger city halfway from Amsterdam) and the company actually paid it for me.
    There are other places in Holland, where you can just walk in at certain hours and take the examine, but I wouldn’t know where that is.

TD

Mike Dickinson
    Participant

VCA course is all comon sense . As TD said is available in english, set out in chapters covering different section of work. At the end of each section their are 10-20 questions read these find the answers and you will pass. Exam itself is all multichoice questions so it’ A B or C most of the time the answers are obvious but their is a little lost in translation. Its not actually offshore related more like construction industry based a bit like the one they run in the uk for building sites. About 3 hours revision should get you through the exam

😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I note that the course book can be supplied in English. Can it be made clear whether the exam itself can also be taken in English?

I’m not entirely sure that I like the sound of this. Is this for all offshore people to take that work in the Dutch sector?

We do enough offshore safety inductions, courses, meetings etc already without adding individual country safety courses into the system.

Imagine if each country you worked in required you to do their own safety course. You’d have so many certs they alone might take up your luggage allowance when flying. For Europe (at least) there needs to be a common standard. Take the course in one EU state (in your own language) and the cert covers the rest of the EU states and whom ever else chooses to recognise it.

F. Rueter
    Participant

VCA exams can be taken in English too. VCA (basic) is the entry level, VCA(VOL) is mandatory for supervisors etc. It’s applicable for all offshore work, civil etc. and has been around for at least 10 years. VCA certs are recognised in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

The UK has developed a similar certification, as I noticed, coming into force as of next month: Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST). Not sure yet whether this is applicable to all offshore personnel or only when working on fixed platforms. Anyone with more details? Refer to the Opito website.

I have contacted NOGEPA (Netherlands Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Association. VCA and MIST requirements differ (of course) and certs are not mutually recognised as yet. They are sorting this out as we speak but it will take a looooong while (as usual).

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Thanks for the informed input :tup:

best regards
    James Mc

rovkaka
    Participant

Thank you every one .. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar