Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) What % is required for uni0n negotiations to take place?

What % is required for uni0n negotiations to take place?

Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) What % is required for uni0n negotiations to take place?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

The topic title would not allow the full question to be used which should have read:

What % of employee uni0n membership is required for a company accept that a ballot must take place for the purpose of collective bargaining (uni0n negotiations) to take place?

Somebody asked this question in another thread and I promised to find out and respond accordingly. I also asked about agency guys ‘n’ gals and where they fit in on the numbers game. I hate not following up on things so…..

Here is a response that I have had from an RMT organiser:

My understanding is that you need 10% of the employees of any one company before you can request a ballot for recognition of the uni0n by the company for the purposes of collective bargaining. You need 40% to "force" a ballot.

This I guess is for situations where the employer initially says "No!"

I don’t think guys employed through agencies or "self employed" can be counted for this purpose.

best regards
    James Mc

Bristar
    Participant

So I guess this would be of all employees not just ROV.

However if all the ROVers in one particular organisation were organised then that’s a pretty difficult group to ignore.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Yes, I have heard this question before, and indeed Im quite sure it is 40% of ALL the employees in that company, not just in one department.

So that will include all office and base staff, all surveyors, data processors etc.

Agency workers are not employees of the Company.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar